It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We just had a small Eartquake In Southern California ( Orange County )

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I live in the center of Orange County, and less than 5 minutes ago we had a smallish earthquake. I'm from the Midwest, and I've been out here a little over 2 years, and that was my first one. It was wild! My room shook from one side to the other, and it rattled my door, and made my bedroom wall shake. I'll look up the USGS and see how big it was. More to follow soon....

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Damn! I'm not as fast as I thought I was. There's already a another thread claiming it was a 4.1 and felt in LA

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by moonzoo7

Good thing it was only a 4.1.

SAN DIEGO -- A magnitude 4.1 earthquake that struck Saturday in Baja California, Mexico rattled parts of San Diego County, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

Automated seismographs recorded the quake about 2:25 p.m. about 16 miles southwest of Guadalupe Victoria, Baja California and 104 miles east-southeast of Tijuana, the U.S. Geological Survey reported. The area in Baja California where the quake struck is about 150 miles from San Diego.

Weak shaking was felt by some Valley Center residents, but no damage was reported, according to the USGS website. A few residents in Mexico and in Imperial, Los Angeles, Orange and San Bernardino counties also reported the shaking on the USGS website.

Source

-SAP-

edit on 13-6-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...Here's a link from the other thread. We're in different areas...does that mean we can have 2 threads on the topic???

edit on 13-6-2012 by moonzoo7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Hmm this one is saying something different for that time. The 4.1 hit at around 2 PM. This was the one that hit at around 8:02 PM.

A magnitude-3.8 quake struck about 8:05 a.m. about two miles northwest of Devore, in San Bernardino County, according to the USGS. Slight damage from the quake was reported in Rancho Cucamonga, just west of the quake's epicenter.

Same source.

EDIT; 8:05 PM now...

-SAP-

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Doh nm in the personal story section ...
edit on 13-6-2012 by Azdraik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Azdraik

Well I'm from MN we don't get many of them here so I really don't hear much about them, so for me it's news worthy.

Plus it's something that has always peaked my interest. Nature is wickedly destructive, we should take it seriously. But that's IMO.

EDIT:
It's all good.

-SAP-

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I don't get it. People talk about environmental events all time on here. So what if this wasn't a huge killer quake? In the big picture, it could be relevent. What if today was the beginning of a series? If you live here, it is newsworthy.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

I agree. Yes earthquakes happen all the time in CA, but the thing is it still could always hurt or injure someone or do damage to property.

Like I said before, nature is destructive and these things should'mt be taken lightly. No matter how small. Who knows maybe there will be more?

-SAP-

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Dear moonzoo7,

Welcome to L.A., that was nothing. Eventually you will get to feel one that is over six and each numerical increase is ten times stronger. Now here is the thing to remember, most of the buildings that are around you were probably built after 1920 and they are still standing having faced much bigger quakes. Do not run outside during a quake (falling glass is much more likely to kill you) and stay away from things that can fall like bookcases and refrigerators. Peace.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

For the record, you never really get used to them. If you did that's great, but it doesn't mean everyone else will too. It could be a cause for concern because this was one of the strongest felt in a bit. The lack of activity gets you somewhat concerned sometimes.
edit on 13-6-2012 by undergroundlight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by undergroundlight

For the record, you never really get used to them. If you did that's great, but it doesn't mean everyone else will too. It could be a cause for concern because this was one of the strongest felt in a bit. The lack of activity gets you somewhat concerned sometimes.

Dear undergroundlight,

Many people get used to them and anyone who chooses to live here should. 4.1 is small and they happen all the time here. The truth is we will see much bigger ones and have before, those are the ones you prepare for. Understanding what the OP can expect in the future has more value than worrying about the little ones.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

They happen all the time in other parts of California. This is the first in at least a few years in this area this size. The last time I felt one this strong was a few years ago at least. We're all aware of the expected larger one that hasn't occurred. They warn you all the time through ads, school, and other places.

new topics

top topics

join