It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake here in Los Angeles, 4.1

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Anyone within the Los Angeles Area feel that earthquake?

freaked me out a bit

Los Angeles quake

Magnitude 4.1
Date-Time

Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 03:17:15 UTC
Wednesday, June 13, 2012 at 08:17:15 PM at epicenter

Location 33.912°N, 117.784°W
Depth 5.9 km (3.7 miles)
Region GREATER LOS ANGELES AREA, CALIFORNIA
Distances

3 km (2 miles) N (10°) from Yorba Linda, CA
7 km (5 miles) ENE (64°) from Placentia, CA
9 km (6 miles) SW (218°) from Chino Hills, CA
13 km (8 miles) NE (49°) from Anaheim, CA
46 km (28 miles) ESE (110°) from Los Angeles Civic Center, CA

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.2 km (0.1 miles); depth +/- 1.6 km (1.0 miles)
Parameters Nph=159, Dmin=9 km, Rmss=0.33 sec, Gp= 18°,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=1
Source

California Integrated Seismic Net:
USGS Caltech CGS UCB UCSD UNR

Event ID ci15164105

edit on 6/13/2012 by FoxStriker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by FoxStriker

I live in Corona, it woke up right up. Scared me a bit because it was the strongest I felt in a while. As far as I am aware it was about a 4.0 or so. Parents told me that info, no links. Even after for a few minutes the earth still felt as if it was shaking, probably the house as it was just a jolt not a roll.
edit on 13-6-2012 by undergroundlight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

USGS did - looks like about a 4

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

I was starting my own thread, and after I posted, I saw this one. I live in the center of OC, and I've only been out here a little over 2 years, and that was my first one. Crazy! My room shook, and it rattled my bedroom door and wall. Freaky, for sure!

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Glad I wasn't the only one :O, still though, lived here all my life and you never get used to them.

Would like to say I wasn't scared, but I was reading the Water in Osaka Bay (Japan) turning pale yellow, major seismic event may be imminent when it hit.

Suddenly I'm a believer lol

edit on 6/13/2012 by FoxStriker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Quakes happen all the time in CA. Not sure why this even is mentionable. Now if it was part of a escalating cluster sure...

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Was nothing but a slight thing here in Perris Ca, hardly stronger than when a strong gust of wind hits my house.

Barely felt it, but knew it was an EQ.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Quakes happen all the time in CA.
reply to post by Azdraik

You know I actually havent felt a good one in some time, even been a while since a minor one like this one.

Been getting concerned by the overall Lack of EQ here in So Ca, makes me think when we do get one its gonna be bad.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

I live in So. Cal.....didn't even notice it.....around 4 on the Richter Scale? Mmmph! That's nothing!!

Come back when it is over 6....mmmmKay??

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Have lots of friends and family in Orange County, a lot of people felt it. Normally, its a few people feel something and everyone else felt nothing.
Yeah anyway like a previous poster said, this shouldn't be cause for alarm unless of course they keep happening.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Didnt feel much but still did.

Thursday June 14 2012, 03:17:15 UTC Greater Los Angeles area, California 4.1
Thursday June 14 2012, 03:23:07 UTC Greater Los Angeles area, California 2.4
Thursday June 14 2012, 03:23:57 UTC Greater Los Angeles area, California 1.8
Thursday June 14 2012, 03:27:38 UTC Greater Los Angeles area, California 1.5
Thursday June 14 2012, 03:28:33 UTC Greater Los Angeles area, California 2.4
Thursday June 14 2012, 03:30:58 UTC Greater Los Angeles area, California 1.5
Thursday June 14 2012, 04:17:04 UTC Greater Los Angeles area, California 1.2
edit on 4/5/2011 by dreamfox1 because: info

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Dang. I just moved from Chicago to San Luis Obispo, and I didn't feel anything. ive been in tornados and a Hurricane can't wait for my first eq.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Quakes happen all the time in CA.
reply to post by Azdraik

You know I actually havent felt a good one in some time, even been a while since a minor one like this one.

Been getting concerned by the overall Lack of EQ here in So Ca, makes me think when we do get one its gonna be bad.

I'm in Fullerton so I'm close to the epicenter and yeah I haven't felt a good jolt like that
in the last year. The Whittier fault caused some damage before.
Link

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Hey all for looking into quakes but I just have noticed people seem to post every little quake. Had this happened in a place they never get earthquakes sure interesting tidbit. If this was the 15th one in the area of this magnitude then yea lets keep an eye on it.

To put it in perspective its like people posting it broke 110 in Arizona. Happens more then people think so not that big of a deal. Now 110 in Montana... yea that is something else.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Azdraik

Difference being that here in Los Angeles and Orange county we've had these quakes precede big ones.... really big ones.

So theres the possibility of huge aftershocks... equivalent of 110 degree's jumping to 160. It makes a difference

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Azdraik

Some of us like to know about "every little quake", even in areas such as Cali which have them all the time.

A 4.0 in the Orange County area is noteworthy to me, and I appreciate the OP bringing it to my attention, because I don't live in Cali anymore, but I have family back there and like to know.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

I understand that smaller quakes can precede large quakes. Lets see if there are any other quakes in this range though before jumping to conclusions.

It is not a bad idea to keep a eye on them but as I said, there has just been many threads started because there was a small quake recorded. I would like to think people would observer a little more before jumping to conclusions.

If this was the 5th one today of that mag then yes I would agree the situation would warrant keeping a eye on. But as it is not uncommon to occasionally get quakes in CA it is not that big of a deal.

Once again 1 meh quake in CA no big deal. 10 in the past 12 hours wth is going on there. That is all I was pointing out.

Not trying to argue or lessen what someone else thinks. I just get tired of people making a mountain out of molehills.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I love reading peoples descriptions of what a certain magnitude quake felt like in various parts of the US... it is very informative to all of us not there...... but, unfortunately a moderator will come along and close this thread.

According to moderators/ATS/whatever.... no quake is worthy of discussion at Above Top Secret discussion group unless it is a 6+.......... in which case, probably no one would be able to report about it that was there due to interruptions in electric, etc.

Thanks to all that do share.... there are many of us interested. this is a stronger quake than us quake watchers are used to seeing reported.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Over by LAX. Nope, didn't feel it.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Please add your information on small EQ to this dedicated EQ thread:
Quake Watch 2012

Closed.

new topics

top topics

join