It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

"Special/Gifted/Enlightened" People on ATS

page: 1
5
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
This is isn't a blanket statement claiming all people with unique ideas or realizations have this condition but I'm sure a lot of members can agree they have noticed signs of this psycological disorder in some threads. I love ATS and frequent it but sometimes the need to be special shines a little brighter than the things that actually are special.

I believe some of what you see comes from this condition:

Schizotypal Personality Disorder:

...They view themselves as alien or outcast, and this isolation causes pain as they avoid relationships and the outside world.

People with schizotypal personalities may ramble oddly and endlessly during a conversation. They may dress in peculiar ways and have very strange ways of viewing the world around them. Often they believe in unusual ideas, such as the powers of ESP or a sixth sense. At times, they believe they can magically influence people's thoughts, actions and emotions.

In adolescence, signs of a schizotypal personality may begin as an increased interest in solitary activities or a high level of social anxiety. The child may be an underperformer in school or appear socially out-of-step with peers, and as a result often becomes the subject of bullying or teasing.

Schizotypal personality disorder symptoms include:

Incorrect interpretation of events, including feeling that external events have personal meaning
Peculiar thinking, beliefs or behavior
Belief in special powers, such as telepathy
Perceptual alterations, in some cases bodily illusions, including phantom pains or other distortions in the sense of touch
Idiosyncratic speech, such as loose or vague patterns of speaking or tendency to go off on tangents
Suspicious or paranoid ideas
Flat emotions or inappropriate emotional responses
Lack of close friends outside of the immediate family
Persistent and excessive social anxiety that doesn't abate with time

Schizotypal personality disorder can easily be confused with schizophrenia, a severe mental illness in which affected people lose all contact with reality (psychosis). While people with schizotypal personalities may experience brief psychotic episodes with delusions or hallucinations, they are not as frequent or intense as in schizophrenia.

Another key distinction between schizotypal personality disorder and schizophrenia is that people with the personality disorder usually can be made aware of the difference between their distorted ideas and reality. Those with schizophrenia generally can't be swayed from their delusions.

Mayo Clinic - Schizotypal

*I believe in things that are not conventional and I don't think most people have this, just a rare few. It's just an interesting correlation and I believe it can be linked to posters of some of the crazier arrogant(I am god, what questions do you have?) threads.
edit on 13-6-2012 by Epirus because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-6-2012 by Epirus because: (no reason given)




posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I don't believe many people have personality disorders. First off, to have a personality disorder, you have to have tenants to your personality that hamper your ability to function normally in society, and what that entails could be debated without much of a conclusion.

To me, the type of people that don't fit in society are the violent, murder, rapist, types.

Being eccentric isn't a disorder. Thanks to Hollywood, different is strange, but it's not a disorder.



posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by satron
 


I disagree.

I think there are plenty of functioning people in the world who are suffering from narcissistic personality disorder.



posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron
I don't believe many people have personality disorders. First off, to have a personality disorder, you have to have tenants to your personality that hamper your ability to function normally in society, and what that entails could be debated without much of a conclusion.

To me, the type of people that don't fit in society are the violent, murder, rapist, types.

Being eccentric isn't a disorder. Thanks to Hollywood, different is strange, but it's not a disorder.


Your reading comprehension is lacking or you only read 2 lines from the OP. I agree it's very rare(as I stated in the OP) but it does exist and it's beyond just eccentric. ex.) The earthquake in Haiti happened because I meditated and imagined a great earthquake. I caused the earthquake!
edit on 13-6-2012 by Epirus because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-6-2012 by Epirus because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I think it's funny that a large portion of ATS members actually think they know how the world works and are more intelligent than the average person. They claim to be politically enlightened but MOST members still cannot tell you what communism, socialism, fascism, or capitalism means.


edit on 13-6-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
But I AM God, and I AM willing to answer your questions. ...No! he's not...Yes!! I AM.


Honestly, some of these symptoms sound like catch-all's, so anyone can be named "Schizotypal" if it suits the Doctors agenda.

By their definitions, more than half the world is schizotypal.



posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
reply to post by satron
 


I disagree.

I think there are plenty of functioning people in the world who are suffering from narcissistic personality disorder.


Uh, well you should have said, "I agree with you" because that's what I said.



posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Epirus

Originally posted by satron
I don't believe many people have personality disorders. First off, to have a personality disorder, you have to have tenants to your personality that hamper your ability to function normally in society, and what that entails could be debated without much of a conclusion.

To me, the type of people that don't fit in society are the violent, murder, rapist, types.

Being eccentric isn't a disorder. Thanks to Hollywood, different is strange, but it's not a disorder.


Your reading comprehension is lacking or you only read 2 lines from the OP. I agree it's very rare(as I stated in the OP) but it does exist and it's beyond just eccentric. ex.) The earthquake in Haiti happened because I meditated and imagined a great earthquake. I caused the earthquake!
edit on 13-6-2012 by Epirus because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-6-2012 by Epirus because: (no reason given)




Well, your comprehension is worse, because I laid out what I think a PD should entail, and schizotypal is an "eccentric disorder", and I fail to see how that deems them unfit for society.

*sticks tongue out*

What about truthers? Are they "eccentric"?

People that believe in the NWO? Are they "eccentric"?

What about people that believe in God? Are they "eccentric"?

Most of these people function well in society regardless of their belief.

Does it occur to you the implications are for labeling all these people for having "eccentric beliefs" as people that don't function well in society, because that is what the label is for.

I don't agree with the labeling, seems like there is more than they are willing to admit: "We really don't know, but anyways..." Since when is it a part of someone's personality to experience episodes of psychosis and hallucinations? Shouldn't they be schizophrenic? I never heard of a schizophrenic personality disorder?

Maybe you should swirl that in your brain a little better.


edit on 13-6-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
But I AM God, and I AM willing to answer your questions. ...No! he's not...Yes!! I AM.


Honestly, some of these symptoms sound like catch-all's, so anyone can be named "Schizotypal" if it suits the Doctors agenda.

By their definitions, more than half the world is schizotypal.


I do think you're right by the information I posted, if you actually read information from people suffering from it and sites with more detail than the mayo clinic summary(my fault you didn't) you would realize it's way rarer than half the world as it seems from my posts criteria(from the generalized summary on the Mayo Clinic site). That's a failure on my part to provide clearer information.

Do you remember threads about a galactic federation of aliens telling a poster that they are the one to send a message to the world? or perhaps posts from other members proclaiming they may have caused natural disasters inadvertently? Maybe even posts from users claiming they were sent here to inform the world of their true existence because they were born as an "indigo child"? Posts like that often times are written by people suffering from either schizotypal personality disorder or narcissistic personality disorder. A lot of the symptoms of those 2 disorders match nicely with the "symptoms of an indigo child"
edit on 13-6-2012 by Epirus because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Epirus
 

I'm in!

second



posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron

Originally posted by Epirus

Originally posted by satron
I don't believe many people have personality disorders. First off, to have a personality disorder, you have to have tenants to your personality that hamper your ability to function normally in society, and what that entails could be debated without much of a conclusion.

To me, the type of people that don't fit in society are the violent, murder, rapist, types.

Being eccentric isn't a disorder. Thanks to Hollywood, different is strange, but it's not a disorder.


Your reading comprehension is lacking or you only read 2 lines from the OP. I agree it's very rare(as I stated in the OP) but it does exist and it's beyond just eccentric. ex.) The earthquake in Haiti happened because I meditated and imagined a great earthquake. I caused the earthquake!
edit on 13-6-2012 by Epirus because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-6-2012 by Epirus because: (no reason given)




Well, your comprehension is worse, because I laid out what I think a PD should entail, and schizotypal is an "eccentric disorder", and I fail to see how that deems them unfit for society.

*sticks tongue out*

What about truthers? Are they "eccentric"?

People that believe in the NWO? Are they "eccentric"?

What about people that believe in God? Are they "eccentric"?

Most of these people function well in society regardless of their belief.

Does it occur to you the implications are for labeling all these people for having "eccentric beliefs" as people that don't function well in society, because that is what the label is for.

I don't agree with the labeling, seems like there is more than they are willing to admit: "We really don't know, but anyways..." Since when is it a part of someone's personality to experience episodes of psychosis and hallucinations? Shouldn't they be schizophrenic? I never heard of a schizophrenic personality disorder?

Maybe you should swirl that in your brain a little better.


edit on 13-6-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)


Calm down, I'm not attacking you and the topics you listed have nothing to do with the disorder, I already gave the extreme examples of the disorder in previous replies. The topics you listed are normal speculation about our reality and the questioning of it. The examples I listed are the extremes which correlate to the condition.

Sychtypal is a mild and mostly harmless form of schizophrenic personality disorder, if you had read the OP you would have noticed that. Here let me zoom into the exact portion for you since you are just wanting to argue and not read.


Originally posted by Epirus
Schizotypal personality disorder can easily be confused with schizophrenia, a severe mental illness in which affected people lose all contact with reality (psychosis). While people with schizotypal personalities may experience brief psychotic episodes with delusions or hallucinations, they are not as frequent or intense as in schizophrenia.

Another key distinction between schizotypal personality disorder and schizophrenia is that people with the personality disorder usually can be made aware of the difference between their distorted ideas and reality. Those with schizophrenia generally can't be swayed from their delusions.



posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Please define normal for me. There is a veritable soup of personalities and the disorders they are prey to on here, what is your point?

Unless a person is highly dysfunctional or a danger to themselves and/or others they have as much right and ability to post here as anyone else. imho



posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
Please define normal for me. There is a veritable soup of personalities and the disorders they are prey to on here, what is your point?

Unless a person is highly dysfunctional or a danger to themselves and/or others they have as much right and ability to post here as anyone else. imho



No such thing as normal. That is very true.

As far as this topic goes...sorry I brought it up, I should have posted that I was 92 year old who was formerly a member of the KGB and CIA mixed with secret private black ops corporations and I decided to join ATS for the first time to divulge the secrets of my past. That would have been the ticket. How worthless of me.
edit on 13-6-2012 by Epirus because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Epirus
 




Oh sorry I was under the impression you wanted a chance to throw your brain out there and see what stuck and what ran down the wall.


You know how we are, we reply, what would your life be if we didn't? It is a good thread. I understand the concerns behind it.

Not going to ask YOU to define normal again!



posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Roses are red
Violets are blue
I'm schitzophrenic
and I am too




posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
reply to post by Epirus
 




Oh sorry I was under the impression you wanted a chance to throw your brain out there and see what stuck and what ran down the wall.


You know how we are, we reply, what would your life be if we didn't? It is a good thread. I understand the concerns behind it.

Not going to ask YOU to define normal again!


Normal doesn't exists.

The second para wasn't in response to you just a general response.



posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Epirus

Do you remember threads about a galactic federation of aliens telling a poster that they are the one to send a message to the world? or perhaps posts from other members proclaiming they may have caused natural disasters inadvertently? Maybe even posts from users claiming they were sent here to inform the world of their true existence because they were born as an "indigo child"? Posts like that often times are written by people suffering from either schizotypal personality disorder or narcissistic personality disorder. A lot of the symptoms of those 2 disorders match nicely with the "symptoms of an indigo child"
edit on 13-6-2012 by Epirus because: (no reason given)


This is a tricky question because these types of people could have possibly dabbled in an occult where they've opened themselves up to the spirit world to be deceived. It sounds crazy, and it can be dangerous, but it is real. Too much tampering with it can make you crazy.



posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I am Batman. But underneath that mask I am Spartacus.



posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I match your profile definition of Schizotypal Personality Disorder. I have had manic episodes as well as what I call "Spiritual attacks" culminating from sounds to voices to actual visualizations.

Now you can convince me otherwise! LOL


Seriously, I don't mind, I really am quite content in my "delusions" and I look forward to it all coming to a big mess so that everyone can see what I see, hear what I hear, and most importantly feel what I feel.

In the meantime, I am glad I never had to steal, lie, cheat, abuse, or hurt another individual (without provocation, because I have stood my ground with bullies, and I have taken punches as well as gave them). I especially like not earning money or having to answer to the "Machine".



posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
oh yes, I forgot, why is this a rant?



new topics




 
5
<<   2 >>

log in

join