It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Walmart know something we don't?....

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
All you need to do,, is to stock up on rice, beans, flour, water and seeds. When I was a kid, I live on rice and beans and biscuit and gravy for almost a year, cause my mom left my dad and she had to get on welfare.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
You don't need these rations kits they are probably overpriced and the taste/quality/texture is poor.

Instead there are other viable options.

Granola bars, cereals, canned fruits veggies or beans, chips and salsa, rice, etc.

If they remained sealed in their packaging they should last very long periods and remain edible.

You don't need to shop at WalMart at all either, as many varied locations offer these types of goods at reasonable prices.

Why did people start jarring/canning food anyways?
They were preparing for SituationX, although they may not realize it.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Lol! I thought they canned because there was no other method of preservation for the food grown--besides drying.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalDrivel

Lol! I thought they canned because there was no other method of preservation for the food grown--besides drying.

Here is a wiki article that should enlighten.
Food preservation

Here is a list of preservation methods:

Drying
Refrigeration
Freezing
Vacuum Packing
Salting
Sugar
Smoking
Other food additives
Pickling
Lye
Canning/Bottling/Jarring
Irradiation
PEF processing
Pressurization
Modifying Atmosphere
Burial
Use of Microorganisms
Bio preservation

There are also many other sub fields under each of these headings.

And at least a third or more of these options have been used for thousands of years by many cultures worldwide in order to preserve their food.

I even read that all sorts of spices were used primarily as a preservative in many cultures historically.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I actually have done this for quite some while, but never in kit form. No 25 year shelf life stuff though more like
8 - 12. I keep months worth of various items on hand but not just for us, when stuff happens there are always neighbors in need. Several years back we had an ice storm and the entire area was pretty much stranded for a week plus. Our house became the super market (free of course). Here is a link to a really good sight to point you in the right direction.

Storage Duration of Food

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
For example making cheese is a method of preserving milk for long periods.
The methodology is to allow a particular microorganism to do the work for us.
Also I believe the salt plays a very important role in keeping it edible for a long duration.

This method of preservation is ancient.

It's just one of many examples that could be brought up revealing that food preservation technology is one of the oldest and most important aspects of our development as a civilization.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by burning_need
I actually have done this for quite some while, but never in kit form. No 25 year shelf life stuff though more like
8 - 12. I keep months worth of various items on hand but not just for us, when stuff happens there are always neighbors in need. Several years back we had an ice storm and the entire area was pretty much stranded for a week plus. Our house became the super market (free of course). Here is a link to a really good sight to point you in the right direction.

Storage Duration of Food

Thank you for the informative link.

One part I think is worth quoting is :

Honey, Salt and Sugar should keep indefinitely if stored free of moisture. Watch out for additives in the honey. It is possible to buy honey with water and sugar added. This honey generally doesn't crystallize like pure 100% honey does when stored for a long time. If there are additives, there is no saying how long it will last.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
No, companies do research based on google trends, so googling things like, "omfg the world is going to end," tells them to sell you things that go along with those trends because a lot of people are interested in it.

No paranormal activity, no conspiracy, just business trying to sell you more # you don't need.

edit on 14-6-2012 by beerbaron2002 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Jetman44

I haven't read any of the replies yet, but I just wanted to chime-in by saying that "Walmart" definitely knows something we don't! They are part of all sorts of groups... a big one which is rarely mentioned their involvement with the Security and Prosperity Partnership (SPP).

Source

This seriously makes me think. I've personally been collecting food rations (just in case) for years and now I wonder. If Wal-Mart is selling food rations, it's probably because the BIG plan for population reduction is NOT gonna be by starvation; therefore the food will be useless.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
that food would give you zero nutrition and would in fact harm your body...

to be self sufficient, dehydrate fruit, gather nuts and seeds and seal them up...

start a garden if possible

etc.etc.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I think survival gear/food will go out of style with a big bang!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Originally posted by another_lurker
That looks like a HUGE tub of cookies. That is an emergency supply for some.....Sorry, couldn't resist.

Some people just love their sweets.

A_L

I think they sell dog food in the same tubs.

No, they don't sell dog food in these containers....the sell cat litter in them

....and plebian treats

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Really?

People on ATS shop at Wal-Mart?

I am kind of shocked by this.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Where's this Walmart? Nothing like this at the walmart here in Utica NY.
Second line just for giggles.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Probably not, but might be handy to have thrown in the trunk if you happen to get caught away from home base for a few days.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jetman44
So, I walked into the local Wally-mart today and saw this....

....it has a shelf life of 25 years, LOL
edit on 6/13/2012 by Jetman44 because: (no reason given)

Its a tub full of chinese sheetrock...last you longtime - Joe.
edit on 14-6-2012 by BABYBULL24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Furbs
Really?

People on ATS shop at Wal-Mart?

I am kind of shocked by this.

They actually have a few good specialty items in their grocery section, which is the main thing that draws me there (which is seldom).

Good herring kipper snacks, and even a couple varieties of gourmet Bar Harbor herring fillets, cheaper than anywhere. Real ramen noodles, not the standard brands like Oodles of Noodles! (I don't eat this sort of thing all the time, but do like it once in a while). Good cheese and salami sometimes. Pretty good pre-made pizza dough. Other unusual food items you wouldn't expect to find there.

Otherwise, I go there when I need sheets/pillowcases/towels, or a coffeemaker or something.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Who would want to break a 25 year seal to check....So you pay and open it up 10-12 years down the line and ...Dog food! What! I'ts what's for dinner for a long while.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
For just $12 more, over in sporting goods you can buy a lid with a hole in it to use the bucket as a handy portable toilet after consuming it's contents.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
It's the stock up store. Better stock up. Better check the country of origin. May be a good deal I think I'm looking into it. Thanks for the tip.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join