It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How California's GM food referendum may change what America eats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The vast majority of Americans want genetically modified food labelled. If California passes November's ballot, they could get it:

Last month, nearly 1m signatures were delivered to county registrars throughout California calling for a referendum on the labeling of genetically engineered foods. If the measure, "The Right to Know Genetically Engineered Food Act", which will be on the ballot in November, passes, California will become the first state in the nation to require that GM foods be labeled as such on the package.

This is not the first time that the issue has come up in California. Several labeling laws have been drafted there, but none has made it out of legislative committee. Lawmakers in states like Vermont and Connecticut have also proposed labeling legislation, which has gone nowhere in the face of stiff industry opposition. And the US Congress has likewise seen sporadic, unsuccessful attempts to mandate GM food labeling since 1999.

What makes the referendum in California different is that, for the first time, voters and not politicians will be the ones to decide. And this has the food industry worried. Understandably so, since only one in four Americans is convinced that GMOs are "basically safe", according to a survey conducted by the Mellman Group, and a big majority wants food containing GMOs to be labeled.

This is one of the few issues in America today that enjoys broad bipartisan support: 89% of Republicans and 90% of Democrats want genetically altered foods to be labeled, as they already are in 40 nations in Europe, in Brazil, and even in China. In 2007, then candidate Obama latched onto this popular issue saying that he would push for labeling – a promise the president has yet to keep.

The FDA's position on GMOs is that they are safe and essentially equivalent nutritionally to conventionally grown food varieties. But critics counter that the FDA has no way of knowing if this is true, since crucial testing of GM foods has never been required by the agency, and indeed, has not yet been conducted. Writes Dr Suzanne Wuerthele, a toxicologist with the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA):

"We are confronted with the most powerful technology the world has ever known, and it is being rapidly deployed with almost no thought whatsoever to its consequences."

The concern is that genetic modification alters the proteins in foods in ways that researchers do not yet fully understand. Substances that have never existed before in nature are entering our food supply untested. While researchers have not yet found a "smoking gun", which would prove that GM foods as a class are dangerous, there are troubling signs that they may be a factor in the recent epidemic of food allergies. Soon after GM soy was introduced to the UK, for example, soy allergies escalated by 50%.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Some thing needs to be done about this. At least this is a start. Of course, it will be a while before we actually see any progress but maybe now, the people will have their say about this.

The bottom line is that we can't be sure what the physiological effects of consuming GM foods are until rigorous human trials are conducted – which is not likely to happen anytime soon.

Californians aren't waiting until all of the scientific results are in.

And what they decide at the polling station in November may change what the rest of us eat.

ETA: Did a quick search and did not find any thing on this particular topic at the time. Please remove if there exists one already....

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Not really because there are a number of material used to build that is sold in places such as home depot that clearly state not to be sold in states such as california. I was looking for some couplings to replace on my water heater and I believe the label may said just that...so regardless if california requires the label does not mean they will honor it in other states...food distributors make exceptions for certain states when packaging food...

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
This is a good thing and a long time coming.
However, I just hope that the people that will actually draft the law will do so in such a way that it closes any possible loop hole. Otherwise, it will all be moot.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismarco

Not really because there are a number of material used to build that is sold in places such as home depot that clearly state not to be sold in states such as california. I was looking for some couplings to replace on my water heater and I believe the label may said just that...so regardless if california requires the label does not mean they will honor it in other states...food distributors make exceptions for certain states when packaging food...

Well that is the way it is supposed to work, each state makes decisions based on what the people want. Even if California was the only state to do this, it would still have a negative impact on Monsanto. California is a large population state, and banning GMO of all kinds will be felt in Monsantos wallet. That is just one state, then if they pull it off, other states will soon follow.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Sadly this is another thing that is often turned into some kind of macho debate. Those in favour of GM foods accusing those opposed of being chicken littles standing in the way of “progress”.

We are tinkering with the building blocks of life... it’s not a "who has the biggest balls” contest.

Thanks for sharing... S+F

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Awesome, come on California make this happen!

The benefit to having this pass in Cali is that other states will follow suit.the more states jump into the issue, the more this gets "out there". GM food is not healthy period.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

I guess that's my point why haven't other states followed despite california prohibiting certain chemicals..We can hope for the best but the general population is in a fog..I was talking about Fukishima the other day with a person I work with and she was under the impression that all was fine in Japan, it was fixed. She had no idea that debri was coming in our direction...of course she relies on the Boston Globe and NPR for information only...

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Go Cali! I personally signed this petition at the entrance to my local famers' market one day. I wondered if it would really lead anywhere, so it's heartening to see that it has. There's a lot that's messed up about our state, but we get a few things right, and this is one of them.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed

Originally posted by chrismarco

Well that is the way it is supposed to work, each state makes decisions based on what the people want. Even if California was the only state to do this, it would still have a negative impact on Monsanto. California is a large population state, and banning GMO of all kinds will be felt in Monsantos wallet. That is just one state, then if they pull it off, other states will soon follow.

This is a little bit more hope:

If companies are made to change their labels in California, they may well do so all over the country, rather than maintain a costly two-tier packaging and distribution system.

Come on Californians, we're counting on you !!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Don't get too excited.. I got excited when CT was on the verge of passing a similar bill only to watch the Governor of Connecticut smash it down..

GOVERNOR MALLOY CHOOSES BIOTECH INDUSTRY OVER PEOPLE

Source: Institute for Responsible Technology The state of Connecticut was on the eve of a historic vote. With 90% of Connecticut residents in favor of GMO labeling, pre-vote tallies indicating that a bi-partisan majority of legislators were in favor of the bill, and an unprecedented awareness of GMOs in CT, everything seemed to be falling into place for CT HB 5117, An Act Concerning Genetically Engineered Food. Unfortunately, in a devastating turn of events, before the bill had a chance to make it to the floor for debate and a vote, in a closed door meeting, Governor Malloy and his attorneys interfered in the legislative process by removing Section 2 of the bill. Section 2 was the heart of the bill, the section that called for mandatory labeling of all products produced with the process of genetic engineering, leaving HB 5117 meaningless. Governor Malloy chose to put the interests of the monstrous biotech industry in front of the rights of the people of Connecticut.

www.helladelicious.com...

Hope it doesn't happen to you guys the same way.
edit on 13-6-2012 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

There is a similar movement in Vermont.

Not surprised that the West Coast folks want all the credit for themselves.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by libertytoall

Key phrase:

in a closed door meeting,

Yep, the lobbyist got to them. Paid off....

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
imaginativeworlds.com...!&s=2a12d1218b329b8a31d6bc83c0c82303

Scroll down a little ways for a huge list of GMO foods!

Wow!

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by On the Edge
imaginativeworlds.com...!&s=2a12d1218b329b8a31d6bc83c0c82303

Scroll down a little ways for a huge list of GMO foods!

Wow!

Holy cow!!!! Even in chocolate....that's just low down dirty!

Hmmm, maybe we should make a list of foods that DO NOT contain GM in them....I bet that list is shorter.

Thanks for this list of GMO foods. Scary, very scary.

And they wonder why our population is over weight? This could be one side affect, not counting those that are just plain lazy and eat too much junk food. Seriously tho. Just a thought~~~

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by On the Edge

Read this further on down the page:

The FDA does not require any safety tests on genetically modified foods. If Monsanto or other biotech companies declare their foods safe, the agency has no further questions. The rationale for this hands-off position is a sentence in the FDA's 1992 policy that states, "The agency is not aware of any information showing that foods derived by these new methods differ from other foods in any meaningful or uniform way."[1] The statement, it turns out, was deceptive. Documents made public from a lawsuit years later revealed that the FDA's own experts agreed that GM foods are different and might lead to hard-to-detect allergens, toxins, new diseases or nutritional problems. They had urged their superiors to require long-term safety studies, but were ignored. The person in charge of FDA policy was, conveniently, Monsanto's former attorney (and later their vice president). One FDA microbiologist described the GM food policy as "just a political document" without scientific basis, and warned that industry would "not do the tests that they would normally do" since the FDA didn't require any.[2] He was correct.

This is just not right. I call BS on the FDA.....

Of course, at that time, the person in charge of the FDA policy was a former attorney for Monsanto.

Even now, after all this time, the FDA is still looking the other way. The FDA is a sham itself....

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Go California!
Michigan is trying to get enough signatures to get this on the ballet as well.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by libertytoall
Don't get too excited.. I got excited when CT was on the verge of passing a similar bill only to watch the Governor of Connecticut smash it down..

GOVERNOR MALLOY CHOOSES BIOTECH INDUSTRY OVER PEOPLE

Source: Institute for Responsible Technology The state of Connecticut was on the eve of a historic vote. With 90% of Connecticut residents in favor of GMO labeling, pre-vote tallies indicating that a bi-partisan majority of legislators were in favor of the bill, and an unprecedented awareness of GMOs in CT, everything seemed to be falling into place for CT HB 5117, An Act Concerning Genetically Engineered Food. Unfortunately, in a devastating turn of events, before the bill had a chance to make it to the floor for debate and a vote, in a closed door meeting, Governor Malloy and his attorneys interfered in the legislative process by removing Section 2 of the bill. Section 2 was the heart of the bill, the section that called for mandatory labeling of all products produced with the process of genetic engineering, leaving HB 5117 meaningless. Governor Malloy chose to put the interests of the monstrous biotech industry in front of the rights of the people of Connecticut.

www.helladelicious.com...

Hope it doesn't happen to you guys the same way.
edit on 13-6-2012 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

The only way this can actually be defeated now is by Californian's not voting for the labeling, so if it fails (when poll after poll tells us at least 90% of American's think it should be labeled) ... that'll be a bit of a shock ...

However I'm sure Monsanto is going to pull out the stops to tell them they'll be costing people jobs and it's just the same as "normal" food.... believe them at your kids & grandkids peril....(never mind your own health).

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412
reply to post by libertytoall

Key phrase:

in a closed door meeting,

Yep, the lobbyist got to them. Paid off....

Actually Monsanto threatened to sue the State ...

Here's the GMO Labeling Initiative WILL Be on the Ballot in California! thread I did in May, when the news broke that Cali had managed to get enough signatures.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AliceBlackman

Thanks for the link to your thread....

It was a couple of years ago, right here on ATS, that I first learned about Monsanto and GMO. I'm new as a poster but not new to this site. Ever since then, I've tried to find out as much as I can about it but all it does is piss me off.

And they wonder why there is a rise in Autism, Obesity, Cancer, etc., etc...... scary to say the least.

There's still hope for the Nov. vote if the lobbyist don't get their way.... again.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412
reply to post by AliceBlackman

Thanks for the link to your thread....

It was a couple of years ago, right here on ATS, that I first learned about Monsanto and GMO. I'm new as a poster but not new to this site. Ever since then, I've tried to find out as much as I can about it but all it does is piss me off.

And they wonder why there is a rise in Autism, Obesity, Cancer, etc., etc...... scary to say the least.

There's still hope for the Nov. vote if the lobbyist don't get their way.... again.

I was horrified when I found out about this GMO stuff , I think I found out about 5 years ago and have done my best to get the word out as well as to try buy as much organic as possible .....there is a whole lot wrong with our food system, with GMO as the cherry on top .....

fingers crossed for Nov-12

This is a food fight we "plebs" have to win.

top topics

join