It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cartoonist turns lawsuit threat into $100K charity fundraiser

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Cartoonist turns lawsuit threat into $100K charity fundraiser

digitallife.today.m snbc.msn.com

He wrote a blog post declaring that FunnyJunk had "practically stolen [his] entire website." The website's owner responded by claiming that Inman was threatening to sue him and removing any content which referenced "The Oatmeal."

Even though plenty of his content remained on FunnyJunk, without any reference to his pseudonym, Inman just didn't have energy to file DMCA takedown notices to deal with it. "Let's just leave it alone, I thought," he told me. "That's how it was for a year."

But oddly enough, the folks behind FunnyJunk decided they wanted to revisit the whole situatio
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Can's post the punchline in the "story snippet" section, but it's worth waiting for...

OK - so this websiet has plagiarised the cartoonists work, and hten threatened him with a lawsuit for complaining about it.

cartoonists are creative folk tho'....so what would you expect as a reply??

"I don't want to get tied up in courtroom nonsense. I don't want to pay more money to my lawyer," Inman declared in that blog post. He outlined why he believed that it was silly that FunnyJunk is demanding money "for hosting [his] unlicensed comics […] for the past three years."

"I've got a better idea," he wrote. "I'm going to try and raise $20,000 in donations. I'm going to take a photo of the raised money. I'm going to mail you that photo, along with this drawing of your mom seducing a Kodiak bear. I'm going to take the money and donate one half to the National Wildlife Federation and the other half to the American Cancer Society."

Inman dubbed his response "Operation BearLove Good Cancer Bad" and gave it a 15-day deadline. He announced it on Monday, at about 1 p.m. PT. About one hour later, he'd met the $20,000 fundraising goal. About 24 hours later, he'd raised over $117,000 with donations coming from over 8,000 people.

Did I mention that cartoonists are probably creative people??

And the result??

When I reached out to FunnyJunk's lawyer, Charles Carreon, to discuss the situation, he explained that he'd removed his contact information from his website due to the large number of people who'd contacted him after Inman's blog post went online.

"I really did not expect that he would marshal an army of people who would besiege my website and send me a string of obscene emails," he says.

"I'm completely unfamiliar really with this style of responding to a legal threat — I've never really seen it before," Carreon explains. "I don't like seeing anyone referring to my mother as a sexual deviant," he added, referencing the drawing Inman posted.

OK - so that's probably quite a lot of the article there...but at least I did attribute it!

digitallife.today.m snbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I laughed so hard...... arstechnica.com...

when visiting this topic PLEASE take a moment to check out his cartoon about Tesla.... theoatmeal.com... and then read his response to the Forbes rebuttal.... theoatmeal.com...

This artist is great!

EDIT TO ADD.

For the curious... this is the drawing that the artist said he would send along with the photo of the $20K....

No offense intended.....

edit on 13-6-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Lolz. I was reading about that on reddit yesterday.

Oatmeal pron is teh bestest.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

"I'm completely unfamiliar really with this style of responding to a legal threat — I've never really seen it before," Carreon explains. "I don't like seeing anyone referring to my mother as a sexual deviant," he added, referencing the drawing Inman posted.

Oh jee whiz.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

A few things come to mind here:

When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.
Every cloud has a silver lining.
Looking on the bright side.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Funnyjunk is awful. Anyone who views it regularly is awful. Hey everything fun about the internet, let me go ahead and rape you for profit! Whooo!

new topics

top topics

join