It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White professor discusses white privilege in America.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by J34NF1C0

I agree. It is attitude combined with respect for your fellow man with kindness and acceptance on a equal level. This is why this whole "White Privilege" crap gets the lime light in the minority world - they don't get it and feel they are treated unfairly and accused of things the majority of their race refuse to bone up to - and that is - they want it both ways.

sad - second line.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
What a load of BS! I'm a white male and have worked for everything that I have. I do not and will not ever feel guilty for being white, male, American, having Irish heritage, being right handed, liking cold beer, owning dogs or anything else.

Just like everyone else, I had no choice about my race, sex or other characteristics when I was born. I'm playing the hand that I've been dealt and so can anyone else. Anyone that I deal with is given the same opportunity to show me who they are regardless of skin color, religion, number of functioning limbs etc.

Are there still racist people? Of course there are. Are there idiots? Yup. But the sooner people stop clinging to excuses for where they are in life, the better off we all will be.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I have a good black friend. Everyone calls him chucky (which is never used as a black name), because his personality seems to be more like that of a white guy than black.

He once told me some years back that there was a difference between a black man than a n!66er. The more I thought about that statement, the more I realized how true it was. There is a big difference.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

At first the large corporations fought "Affirmative Action" which we all know was targeted at the white privileged middle class - but low and behold they saw the light after our leader at that time made sure they were given some benefits for bending over to this new law - oh I mean program. First - the corporations were shown a way to let long loyal employees go thru reorganizing their employee job descriptions. This gave the corporations the means to cut back in a big way financially. Now with the governments protection they could replace these "long loyal employees" with minorities with the governments blessing and not get sued by the "long loyal employees" who had just had their heads handed to them. I know - I tried. The corporations used the "Affirmative Action" program to get at the employees retirement funds (if over funded like ours was) and also take no responsibility for future health insurance and also cut future pension payments down to a third by not letting the employees make it to full retirement age. Ah - what a great program "Affirmative Action" was in the 90's for everyone accept the the middle age white guy - and in some very rare cases - the middle age white woman.

This meant employees like myself lost all future health insurance for retirement - plus lost 70% of the pension that was due in five years form my company. They were home free form any law suites - that is what "Affirmative Action" did for middle class America. I know because I live it in 1996. I begged for my job back - 50 years old with kids in college, another one ready to go to college, a huge house payment in the Chicago suburbs, and we were now going to spread the wealth at my families expense because we were white. I am telling you all this because it is the gods honest truth - to this day I do not know how we made it but we did. I and my wife suffered for this law for many years. We adjusted down and down until there was no bottom.

When I listen to liberals on white privilege I want to puck. I can't tell you what load of crap they will feed you as long as it doesn't affect them. I grew up in Minnesota and was surrounded by liberals at that time. They are now one of the biggest welfare states in America - and the middle class is paying for it dearly. I personally do not like any of our government parties so don't accuse me of being a conservative - we are getting hosed no matter who is in charge. They both are like heavy anchors on each side of the boat and are weighing us down into the sewer. Affirmative Action is just once good example of the inexperience of leadership we get for our vote. Fire them all starting with this administration - and start over.

edit on 14-6-2012 by Dukesy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
You know, I try to avoid posting on this site these days. I usually prefer to read rather than write. There are times however when I come across a thread with that compels me to add something hopefully constructive.

These threads dealing with racial favoritism are tricky as well as the reactions to them. Usually though the same points and questions continue to be asked no matter how much time goes by. Typically you end up responding to the people asking rehashed questions like “why do we have a Black/Latino/Asian newspaper/magazine/channel and not a White one?” with the same obvious fact that 90+% of the magazines, shows, and movies predominately feature White people.

It’s the 21st century and we’re still getting out “First Black/Latino/Asian to…” stories. Heck, the first African-American model to appear on the cover of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition happened in 1997.

Who else was gracing those covers?

Did it need to be CALLED “White Sports Illustrated” if that’s what is predominately is? Are Whites still featured predominately in magazines? Do a test and briefly look at all the covers of mainstream magazines the next time you’re in a convenience store and you will get your answer. However obvious the answers, the same questions remain. But I digress…first, let’s explain what racial favoritism is not, or does not necessarily do.

WHAT RACIAL FAVORITISM DOESN’T DO (3 ANSWERS TO USUAL REACTIONS):

1. It doesn’t make or mean all Whites are millionaires. We live in a society where there is still a class system and that means that there will be people at the top and bottom of it. Those at the bottom will make up all races, however there may be a disproportionate number of certain races in that category. At the very top are rich White males. There are still poor White males in this country.

2. If you’re White…you STILL have to work for things. Racial favoritism doesn’t mean you won’t have to work for what you have. You will. There should be no reason for anyone to think that because they have a hard working job, racial favoritism doesn’t exist.

3. You can still be turned down for a loan and jobs. Being White in a predominately White society doesn’t guarantee you every benfit imaginable. You can still be turned down for loans and jobs…but according to Federal and other studies…you are simply more likely to get them as opposed to certain races.

SO WHAT CAN RACIAL FAVORITISM AFFORD YOU?

Mostly a lot of small-to-large benefits from people in certain positions of authority and power that you may not even realize you received when it comes to housing, jobs, loans, medical recommendations, sentencing for crimes committed and even smaller things like simple service at a store or restaurant.

Survey Shows 40 Percent Of Waiters Discriminate Against Black Customers

Anyway…let’s talk about some of the three major areas of racial discrimination and favoritism that can affect our daily lives. Jobs, Law, and Health.

EMPLOYMENT

In terms of unemployment numbers, employable Black males (that is those that are able and willing to work) are twice as likely to be unemployed in comparison to their White counterparts. Despite the fact that Blacks make up a smaller number of the population according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. NPR

It’s the highest in 27 years while white unemployment fell.
CNN

Even though unemployment numbers have dropped…there has been virtually NO movement in the numbers for Black employable males according to Berkeley.
Labor Center Berkeley

Even in the UK…the unemployment numbers are growing for Black men as opposed to Whites.
Guardian UK

As the recession deepens, black men hit hardest...

The old saying “last hired, first fired” still relevant? Blacks aren't getting tons of jobs.

Affirmative Action is USELESS.
It’s been so since inception, so why are we still acting like it’s not?

We tend to live in cultural vacuums, so the main reason why a lot of this is still confusing and unbelievable to some has more to do with ignorance as opposed to some sort of malicious intentions to spread misinformation and sow racial divisions. Racial favoritism and employment is glaringly obvious and I'm not even getting into the studies that show a name (Treyshaun vs John) can get your resume instantly trashed.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
---Continued---

JUDICIAL SYSTEM AND SENTENCING.

There is an inherent bias and racial disparity in sentencing across the board. Many studies have shown this. Many judges have acknowledged this. Even some surprising high profile media figures have discussed this:

What this says to me is that too many whites are getting away with drug use. Too many whites are getting away with drug sales. Too many whites are getting away with trafficking in this stuff. The answer to this disparity is not to start letting people out of jail because we're not putting others in jail who are breaking the law. The answer is to go out and find the ones who are getting away with it, convict them and send them up the river, too.

--Rush Limbaugh TV show (10/5/95)

That’s from Rush Limbaugh.

RUSH LIM-BAUGH!

How in the world does a super-conservative, “no excuses”, right-winger, get the fact that Whites are getting preferential treatment in this regard, yet so many others are dumbfounded at the notion?

He's being honest. Rare moment or otherwise.

There is a general disparity when it comes to sentencing (especially when it comes to White collar crimes that rob us all of billions) dependent upon the judge:
Disparity Among Judges

If this is true…isn’t it possible that racial disparities can also exist?
Let’s look at some facts regarding Black and White youth in America.

Some surprising info pulled from U.S. Studies (CDC).

- Whites students are more likely to use coc aine and sell drugs than Blacks students.

- Whites are more likely to try an illicit drug than Blacks

- Cocaine users receive lighter sentences than users of crack, which are hit with severe penalties and tend to be non-white according to the U.S. Sentencing Commission.

CDC
WashPost

CNN

THE BIG DEAL?
According to the Justice Department:

- If arrested on drug charges…Black students are 1-½ times more likely than a white one to be sent to prison. (less likely to use…more likely to serve time?)

- If stopped by police, Hispanics cars are searched 11.4 percent of the time and blacks 10.2 percent of the time, compared with 3.5 percent for white drivers. Easier to move drugs.

- Black and Hispanic men are more likely to receive longer prison sentences than their white counterparts

- Blacks are more likely to be sentenced to Death than Whites for the same crime, depending on the race of the victim.

NYTimes

In Illinois…according to the State itself (Chicago Tribune), Blacks are FIVE TIMES more likely to be sent to prison on drug crimes as opposed to Whites.
Blacks Likely To Receive More Time

So…is it really a wonder that Blacks make up such a large portion of the U.S. prison population when Whites are highly likely to get a slap on the wrist for the same crimes committed?

HEALTHCARE

Blacks and Hispanics are less likely to receive adequate healthcare than Whites with the same issues. That includes certain recommendations, follow ups, outpatient rehabilitation, and procedures, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the CDC.

AHRQ.gov

AHRQ.gov

WashPost

DISMISSING FACTS WITH THE “IT’S JUST WHITE GUILT” CARD.

Here’s the thing…it’s actually quite simple.

If you are White and you feel guilty because there is an obvious level of racial favoritism in this society that benefits you…THAT is on YOU.

If you are Black and you feel ashamed because there is because there is an obvious level of racial favoritism in this society that does not benefit you…THAT is on YOU.

Neither of those things changes the reality itself.

I COULD GO ON…BUT IT’S TOO MUCH TO WRITE (TL;DR)

I’ll wrap this up.

If we live in a society where we still discriminate based on gender, sexual orientation, political affiliation, religion, ethnicity, etc…what makes anyone think that race is off the table?

What magical event happened that eliminated racism/racial discrimination?

This isn’t a level playing field.
Life isn't a level playing field.
Never has been.

No reason to kid ourselves.

Thanks,

- Lee

edit on 14-6-2012 by lee anoma because: Fixed link

edit on 14-6-2012 by lee anoma because: spelling

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The things i have i worked hard for or to get. This guy's an idiot, he should take another look at things it's not white skin or shouldnt be anymore. Now it's what you make or who you know.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
As a 23 year old white American, high school graduated, bachelor degree holding man, I can say that there is now a semi racist feel towards us white men in America. Hell, we even still have Affirmative Action going on, where a less skilled "minority" will get the job over a more skilled "white man" just for a quota. We white men and women are BECOMING the minorities. Also, just to top things off, we get these eastern European people coming over stealing almost all jobs in my area. It's cheaper to hire a foreign national who will work for less. This is just becoming too much, to be white, and live in America. I am not trying to sound racist at all, but were losing our American culture and identity.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Propulsion
I have a good black friend. Everyone calls him chucky (which is never used as a black name), because his personality seems to be more like that of a white guy than black.

My stepfather is Black.
His name is Charles.
Everyone called him Chucky or Chuck growing up.

One of my supervisors in the graphics department was named "Charles" and he too was called Chucky/Chuck by some.

Is he the only Black guy in your town?

There are many Black men named Charles in the U.S.

He once told me some years back that there was a difference between a black man than a n***. The more I thought about that statement, the more I realized how true it was. There is a big difference.

*You are circumventing the censors there, so I'll edit your post in my reply.

What a ridiculous thing for him to say.
There are people who behave badly and people who don't. Period.
That goes for every race.

Do we call all of those that act badly the "N-word" or just the Black ones?

There's no real reason or excuse to try and justify the use of the word when it's history is quite clear.

You can't call a White guys a "jerk" for acting belligerent but throw out the N-word at the Black guy doing the same thing and act like you don't know what you're doing there.

- Lee

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by beatbox

Very good read, thanks OP.

And I agree with what he's saying, we do get unearned benefits simply from being white.

I'm white and I'm a man -- I hate to say it, but I should probably stop playing the lottery since I've already won it twice in this lifetime.

Khar

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

What a ridiculous thing for him to say.

I think the black man meant that it is not race, but behaviour that is important and should define a person. Taken from that point of view it is not ridiculous.

You can't call a White guys a "jerk" for acting belligerent but throw out the N-word at the Black guy doing the same thing and act like you don't know what you're doing there.

Jerk is racially neutral. How about "white trash", "redneck" or "cracker"? Compare apples to apples.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
How many white people in this thread can honestly say they didnt get a job because affirmative action filled thar job with a minority?

Jusr wondering..

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I don't know if you have read all the post here - but your percentages have another side to them and you know it. I can tell you are an intelligent person. You have to know that some of the minorities also commit a larger percentage of the crimes and thus - you have the law looking in their direction more than the whites, it cannot be help, call it human nature - right? Where I live our police department lets the black police handle most of the black crimes. And yes I am sure that is another racial profiling issue - so you can see us white privilege cannot win this issue no matter what is done. Now you can scream racial profiling - go ahead scream it. The fact is the minorities want it both ways. And by that I mean they want to point the finger in blame ("white privilege") and yet do nothing for themselves to get out of the rut of being included your percentages. Some do get out - but a smaller percentage than - dare I say it? - whites.

And the health care? Well for the most part - when you have a larger percentage of minority doing low end and high end drugs, and combined that with alcohol, you are going to have some health issues - throw in a higher percentage of some guns and other weapons - wa la - you have the percentages you are using. I do not have the time to prove this out today but I know you know the figures are there. Oh yes there are some criminal injustices as always - on all races. All the more reason for them to try and break the chain, but most will not - it is way to easy to stay on the government boob and complain of "white privilege". My god when does anyone, that isn't white, get it - when does it end. Should I move out of my home and just give it away to a minority? Give up my bank account? Give them my automobile? Give them everything I have worked my buns off for all my life. Yep - "white privilege" just keeps taking and not giving - NOT!

Go ahead and call it "white privilege" - who cares - you are not going to change your stance one little bit. Unless you become a victim of this "white privilege" thing by losing your position in society as I did with the help of Affirmative Action. It sounds like you are always going to be lost in your white privilege theory. I have been a victim as I previously posted. I am hoping you join me soon as a victim, you may change your attitude when it affects your family life style. I am done here - this is a thread to nowhere. Our country is all wrapped in this minority issue and it is just taring our country apart and things like this just keep it going. It is really simple though - respect your neighbor, treat everyone equally, be kind and do not harm anyone, pay your fare share of taxes if you can, help when you can - do not be a taker or free loader. Sounds pretty simple doesn't it? Our jails would be empty if just some of this was followed. I said it in the beginning and I will stand by it now - the "white privilege" theory is just a load of crap - period.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
This is all silly.

There is only one real privilege. It's GREEN.
The GREEN privilege! $$$$$$

Wake up people , stop letting these ignorant people sway your opinion with their right vs left garbage which has no bearing on truth or reality at all.

I just told you the ultimate truth. $$$$$

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

My man, aside from your post and the post from RealSpook, spot on.

Yes it's real. But it's not an excuse. And in America today, everyone is discriminated against

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by PLASIFISK
How many white people in this thread can honestly say they didnt get a job because affirmative action filled thar job with a minority?

Jusr wondering..

Although I scoff at the very basis of this discussion, I will comment briefly in response to your question.

It would be nearly impossible for anyone, of any race, to know such information.

Employers do not reveal these details to anyone (for obvious reasons), and they will not tell anyone "I hired this other person over you because of ____". This is a very unlikely scenario considering the way business is run these days, and the legal implications involved.

When you apply for a job, and do not qualify or are not accepted, they very rarely inform you the applicant as to specific reasons for rejection. This is confidential information.

So less than 1% who are rejected actually find out the truth as to 'why'.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
As a teacher in a high school, I can't agree with his assessment. At an elementary, middle school and high school level, all races have the same chance at succeeding.

Some educators will bring up the point that most minorities come from poor homes, hence there is a much larger disadvantage for minorities to succeed. I do agree that it sometimes affects their behavior in class, but that student has an individual choice of being motivated or lazy towards their education.

Case in point, at the turn of the 20th century, Italians, Polish, Irish, and German immigrants all rose above the discrimination they received upon immigrating into the United States. They worked hard, and passed upon to their children the importance of educating themselves, learning the English language and making it in America.

I and many other teachers enjoy seeing motivated and hard working minorities in our classes. One of my brightest students I've ever had through my 19 years of teaching is a Mexican American girl. She's one of the hardest working students I've ever had. I just graduated the most articulate African American student I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. He even taught me some things during his time in my class. I look forward seeing him becoming a future engineer, and a darn good one at that. I had a Chinese American that had difficulties understanding the English language, but still was an outstanding student.

All students, whether they're African American, Caucasian, Hispanic, Asian, all need to be self-motivated. I've had students from a horrendous family life, that still had the self-motivation and determination to make something of their life. Teachers or Professors don't treat students any different because of their nationality. One nationality doesn't need a law to push them to the front of the class. They should shine on their own merit. To think that a school or university would overlook a student's outstanding achievement in favor of a preferred nationality is going back to the days of slavery.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I have learned to lie about ethnicity on job applications, sure I look Caucasian, but that spoonful of Spanish and Indian really do the trick. If you can, beat the system. I applied for a postion at the state park some years ago, they were not fully staffed, and had no minorities. My position was job security, had someone came after me who was a minority, I would be on the chopping block, but instead I was a minority on my application, some people may not like this idea, so what? I'm a poor person just providing for my family, its really not right.

in 2003, I paid to take an electrical soldering class for Northrup Grumman, through a friend of mine who previously had done the class, and got the job. After we took this class, spent our money, they only hired African Americans. They led us to believe we were training to be new hires and only took 4 African Americans out of the group of 25 or so. My friend informed me, that her boss said they needed only minorites to fill a quota.
edit on 14-6-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Thanks for the response.

I always had that question in the back of my mind whenever the affimative action subject was brought up.

Always wondered how a person could raise hell about it, but not be able say " the one job i applied for, i didn get because of affimative action....."

Ehhhh go figure.

Some will argue that affimative action sucks, and has kept more qualified persons from key positions because of it.

Just would like to see some proof of the matter. Not saying it hasnt ever happened. Ive just never had anyone give proof.

Moving on..... Thanks again.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kat2684

You bring up an excellent and hilarious point.

No one in any government actually does extensive genealogy studies on any of us.

Therefore we can mark any race we want. How will they prove you lied? How do they know your great great grandfather didn't have a secret affair? Or your great great grandmother? And which one? Because we all have 16 great great grandfathers and grandmothers (we hope).

Point is, they cannot legally dispute it without significant information which is nearly impossible to generate for obvious reasons (the information isn't even available anymore).
edit on 14-6-2012 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join