JUDICIAL SYSTEM AND SENTENCING.
There is an inherent bias and racial disparity in sentencing across the board. Many studies have shown this. Many judges have acknowledged this. Even
some surprising high profile media figures have discussed this:
What this says to me is that too many whites are getting away with drug use. Too many whites are getting away with drug sales.
Too many whites are getting away with trafficking in this stuff. The answer to this disparity is not to start letting people out of jail because we're
not putting others in jail who are breaking the law. The answer is to go out and find the ones who are getting away with it, convict them and send
them up the river, too.
--Rush Limbaugh TV show (10/5/95)
That’s from Rush Limbaugh.
How in the world does a super-conservative, “no excuses”, right-winger, get the fact that Whites are getting preferential treatment in this
regard, yet so many others are dumbfounded at the notion?
He's being honest. Rare moment or otherwise.
There is a general disparity when it comes to sentencing (especially when it comes to White collar crimes that rob us all of billions) dependent upon
Disparity Among Judges
If this is true…isn’t it possible that racial disparities can also exist?
Let’s look at some facts regarding Black and White youth in America.
Some surprising info pulled from U.S. Studies (CDC).
THE BIG DEAL?
- Whites students are more likely to use coc aine and sell drugs than Blacks students.
- Whites are more likely to try an illicit drug than Blacks
- Cocaine users receive lighter sentences than users of crack, which are hit with severe penalties and tend to be non-white according to the U.S.
According to the Justice Department:
- If arrested on drug charges…Black students are 1-½ times more likely than a white one to be sent to prison. (less likely to use…more likely to
- If stopped by police, Hispanics cars are searched 11.4 percent of the time and blacks 10.2 percent of the time, compared with 3.5 percent for white
drivers. Easier to move drugs.
- Black and Hispanic men are more likely to receive longer prison sentences than their white counterparts
- Blacks are more likely to be sentenced to Death than Whites for the same crime, depending on the race of the victim.
In Illinois…according to the State itself (Chicago Tribune), Blacks are FIVE TIMES more likely to be sent to prison on drug crimes as opposed to
Blacks Likely To Receive
So…is it really a wonder that Blacks make up such a large portion of the U.S. prison population when Whites are highly likely to get a slap on the
wrist for the same crimes committed?
Blacks and Hispanics are less likely to receive adequate healthcare than Whites with the same issues. That includes certain recommendations, follow
ups, outpatient rehabilitation, and procedures, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the CDC.
DISMISSING FACTS WITH THE “IT’S JUST WHITE GUILT” CARD.
Here’s the thing…it’s actually quite simple.
If you are White and you feel guilty because there is an obvious level of racial favoritism in this society that benefits you…THAT is on
If you are Black and you feel ashamed because there is because there is an obvious level of racial favoritism in this society that does not benefit
you…THAT is on YOU
Neither of those things changes the reality itself.
I COULD GO ON…BUT IT’S TOO MUCH TO WRITE (TL;DR)
I’ll wrap this up.
If we live in a society where we still discriminate based on gender, sexual orientation, political affiliation, religion, ethnicity, etc…what makes
anyone think that race is off the table?
What magical event happened that eliminated racism/racial discrimination?
This isn’t a level playing field.
Life isn't a level playing field.
Never has been.
No reason to kid ourselves.
edit on 14-6-2012 by lee anoma because: Fixed link
edit on 14-6-2012 by lee anoma because: spelling