It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White professor discusses white privilege in America.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Illegitiminoncarborundum

Did you not just read what I told you about Hispanics? Most of them are white racially. You're choosing to ignore the facts in my posts to fit your agenda. I know you REALLY must want to be a minority, but you're not. Maybe one day.....One can dream.

White persons, percent, 2010 (a) --72.4%
White persons not Hispanic, percent, 2010 -- 63.7%
Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin, percent, 2010 (b) -- 16.3%
Black persons, percent, 2010 (a)-- 12.6%

quickfacts.census.gov...

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by beatbox

Yes. Inner city schools are deplorable and have few whites. It is more about money, not race. But you have a higher chance to be born in the ghetto and low income if non-white so it inter-connects.

edit on 13-6-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron
If black people had all the opportunities that other races didn't have, would it be their responsibility to make sure they had the same opportunities everyone had, based on race alone?

why are you so defensive my friend??

edit on 13-6-2012 by beatbox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SprocketUK
Id have more time for this idiot if he understood that its more to do with how much money your family has than what colour you are.

If you're poor and white you probably have less chance of going to university than probably anyone else...cos no one gives a damn...college is full of rich white folks, so why bother with the trailer trash?

this not just about attending a university..white priv in the fabric of American life..

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I don't feel guilty for being white , but acknowledge the fact being white is a lot easier than being a minority race. Institutional racism has existed for decades, things have got a lot better, but to deny racism exists in society is to deny reality. That's where the power relationship comes into it.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
I don't feel guilty for being white , but acknowledge the fact being white is a lot easier than being a minority race. Institutional racism has existed for decades, things have got a lot better, but to deny racism exists in society is to deny reality. That's where the power relationship comes into it.

so why do ppl continue to ignore it or dismiss it like it doesn't exist?? just look at some of the comments. Its mind boggling..do they do this on purpose or are they truly blind to the fact?? and this is a serious question..

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by beatbox

Yes. Inner city schools are deplorable and have few whites. It is more about money, not race. But you have a higher chance to be born in the ghetto and low income if non-white so it inter-connects.

edit on 13-6-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

so are you saying..now/today its more about money then race...compared to back in the day?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by beatbox

Originally posted by SprocketUK
Id have more time for this idiot if he understood that its more to do with how much money your family has than what colour you are.

If you're poor and white you probably have less chance of going to university than probably anyone else...cos no one gives a damn...college is full of rich white folks, so why bother with the trailer trash?

this not just about attending a university..white priv in the fabric of American life..

If you're poor, you are knackered, mate. Doesn't matter what colour you are, you will die poor, your kids will, your grandkids will. None of your descendants will ever be president or prime minister...all those jobs are sewn up by the ruling classes. Social mobility and meritocracy are as dead as the dodo.
The only point in differentiating between people based on skin colour is to divide and rule.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

so why do ppl continue to ignore it or dismiss it like it doesn't exist?? just look at some of the comments. Its mind boggling..do they do this on purpose or are they truly blind to the fact?? and this is a serious question..

Alot of the comments aren't saying it doesn't exist. Its matter of to what degree does it exist and to what degree does it impact and hinder the individuals life. Further people are taking issue with the professor feeling he can speak on the life experience of others.

Now stop and think. Would you appreciate it if someone you don't know and doesn't know you spoke on how your life is?
It's amusing that so many people can not grasp that their life is not the totality of existence everywhere else.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Do you even read your own cited material? Obviously not because you are citing numbers from 2010. You should check the information you post because it makes you look silly.

White persons, percent, 2010 (a) 72.4% Black persons, percent, 2010 (a) 12.6%

If you think I'm taking your word for it you're crazy.

As far as "wanting" to be a minority.. are you inferring that it's a good thing? Are you admitting the fact that I am right by saying you get by easier being a minority?

I don't care about being a minority or majority... I love all races, religions, and creeds mainly because I have many friends of different ethnicity and they don't affect my way of life. I still get paid the same at work wether or not I work with black, hispanics, yellows, and purples.

I have posted 2 different articles that have investigative credibility and you countered it with Wikipedia, and numbers from an older census.. I am obviously wasting my time with you.

edit on 13-6-2012 by Illegitiminoncarborundum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by paganini

Alot of the comments aren't saying it doesn't exist. Its matter of to what degree does it exist and to what degree does it impact and hinder the individuals life. Further people are taking issue with the professor feeling he can speak on the life experience of others.

Now stop and think. Would you appreciate it if someone you don't know and doesn't know you spoke on how your life is?
It's amusing that so many people can not grasp that their life is not the totality of existence everywhere else.

ok i definitely see your point...i didnt look at it that way..

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Having read the article, I find it funny that it begins in the first paragraph of course with a white student who of course agrees there is such a thing as "White privilege". All I can say is I wish I were the student he talked to, because I would have argued against the premise of white privilege in the first place.

Sorry, in my experience so called white privilege is a myth; a greatly overblown one at that. I think really people see nepotism which does exist and then, think it has to do with race. The fact is most of the time when you see unqualified people get a job, usually it's because either the boss that hired them is related to them or is good friends with someone who is related to them and in reality it has nothing to do with race, just who they know.

Having lived in the world and seeing the way it works, nepotism and class factors in much larger then race in my experience and opinion. You can be white and if you are low class white or not the right type of white, you aren't experiencing any white privilege.

Look at the history of America and especially New York, where many immigrants settled, all immigrants even white ones where treated us sub class people. Look at the history of the Italians, the Irish, the Eastern Europeans, they didn't get any white privilege. I guess they weren't really white enough at least not in the eyes of the WASP establishment at the time. Kind of blows apart the argument of white privilege no? I mean if being white is what matters why did the Irish, Italians and other Europeans get excluded and looked down on? They were white after all.

It's kind of sad really that in the end the myth of white privilege is actually just another ploy used by the small minority at the top to keep all the slaves hating each other and keep them divided. And yeah we are all in the same boat, even white people, because those at the top don't give a crap if any of us live or die or if we have anything to eat, because it's not really about race as much as family and class and you are either in the family or you are cattle, regardless of race. Just the way it is.

I agree with the wise words of George Carlin. "It's a big club, and you ain't in it." Even the white people.

Just my opinion though.
edit on 13-6-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typo

edit on 13-6-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typo

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I don't even know what to say the article is ridiculous, I just have no words. This guy is a moron and he should feel he didn't earn his place, cause my sixth grade daughter could write a more articulate article, with real facts, unlike this one.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

If black people had all the opportunities that other races didn't have, would it be their responsibility to make sure they had the same opportunities everyone had, based on race alone?

Erroneous question
Do you prefer black privilege over white privilege?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by beatbox

Give me an example. With proof.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Erroneous question

truthfully, i wish we all were equal... with no privilege.

wishful thinking though!

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Illegitiminoncarborundum

If you think that the majority of this county magically turned non-white magically in two years then you need critical thinking skills.

And no, I was being sarcastic about you wanting to be a minority, as it does hamper people in life.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Erroneous question

truthfully, i wish we all were equal... with no privilege.

wishful thinking though!

I know! I'd really like to play football!

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
My parents and grandparents built a life in a world of white privilidge. They had better education, better resources, and better employment opportunities. Remember, they were making their way during the 50s and 60s. Jim Crow was very much in effect at that time.

Today, I still benefit from the extra opportunities my parents enjoyed. It's impossible to state otherwise. So even if racism has diminished (and that's debatable), we need to realize the basic fact that yes, there was such a thing as white privilidge and it influenced a lot of our lives.

do you believe its still lingering today??

Is white privilidge still lingering? I think so, but in a diminshed capacity. Mainly its the older folks who have a more prejudiced attitude towards minorities. So if a business is owned or operated by an older person, they MAY be more likely to be prejudiced. But that's a big maybe.

I believe its less noticeable and less overt today than even ten years ago. I also think there's a rebound effect; white people so intent on making sure they aren't labeled "racist" that they bend over backwards to prove it. Thats always fun to watch.

So, I guess my answer is...its still the elephant in the room, but we've put her on a diet and she's shrinking.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

I'm sorry but I have a better time believing a plethora of current articles written in 2012 than a wikipedia article, 2 year old census report, and your flaring 'I know best' attitude.

If you honestly think that the black population isn't growing faster than the white race then you are not reading my sources at all and appear to be delusional.

Go ahead though, be my guest.. keep living in the world thinking you are a rock star for being a minority, as you have made it crystal clear people dream of being a minority just like you.

edit on 13-6-2012 by Illegitiminoncarborundum because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join