It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paranormal Hotspots in the Southwest???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

So in a couple of weeks I'll be stuck in a mini van with my husband, two six year old boys, and a mother-in-law. We are driving to the southwestern parts of the US and the length of my incarcertion is at least 2 weeks. To say I'm NOT looking forward to it is an understatement.

So, to appease me (my idea of vacation is lounging by the ocean, doing nada...it certainly doesn't include camping in the desert with TARANTULAS) my husband has agreed that we can stop at any and every paranormal "spots" we pass on our way. Since we actually have no destination in mind, I can hopefully get to see some cool places.

So here's where you come in, ATS. What are some paranormal places I could visit that might save my sanity? Our route from NC will mainly be on I-10 and I-40. I know we're stopping in New Orleans (cemetary tours!) and at the Alamo. We also plan to see Chaco Canyon. The rest...is just where the road takes us.

Thank you for the ideas to save my sanity! Can't wait to hear your suggestions!

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I don't exactly know where in the Southwest you're going, but some good places are: Bisbee, Arizona (Inn @ Castle Rock - I pulled EVP and saw an apparition out of there) and the Copper Queen Hotel/Tombstone (after dark)/Brunckow's Cabin (all in the same general area.

My recommendation is - depending on where you're travelling to - pick up a copy of "Weird _____" from a local bookstore. I have Weird Arizona and Weird Texas. They generally have some excellent information in them regarding the paranormal.

Good luck.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

When you get anywhere in NM where there are few lights...spend an hour or so looking up at the night sky. Make sure the moon is dark (below horizon or in a 1/4 night). Satellites move in a steady arc. You can see fleets, orbs, triangles, cylinders...pretty much anything. Meteors are easy to see. One to ten a week isn't unusual.

I've lived near Roswell, Albuquerque & Silver City. I have seen them from any point in the state. Chaco Canyon could be VERY fruitful.

I hear Antelope Valley and Sedona AZ are worth your time too. Never been to either.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I've actually got an app on my droid for that...called 'Haunted Sights', and there is a free version. All you have to do is type in a location to get a listing of local sites. There's also a way to rate those sites yourself, and tell of any experiences you have/haven't had. Pretty cool app, I think.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Go to Sedona....the rest of Arizona is too hot...(especially with kids and grandma)....Sedona is higher in altitude, and has beautiful, summer weather...many vortexes there....you can find directions and tours in any shop....have fun...and bring your sense of humor with you!

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone for your responses! S for you all.

My husbby informs me we won't be traveling to Arizona (although lots of those places sound incredible). Seems our trip will be through Louisiana, Arkansas, New Mexico, Oklahoma.

The desert sky gazing sounds incredible. We're bringing our super telescope just for that reason. The only problem is...my husband and son wants to camp in the desert and I am not crazy about that at all. I hate tarantulas. Ugh. So what may happen is they sleep in the tent and my mother-in-law and I sleep in the van.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. Now to find that app and off to Amazon for the books! Great advice!

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
If you get the chance, you should go down to Marfa, Texas, and see the Marfa lights.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Veritas1
If you get the chance, you should go down to Marfa, Texas, and see the Marfa lights.

I'll google marfa lights, but are they akin to the Brown Mountain Lights?

And not to sound totally ignorant, but where is Marfa in relation to San Antonio? I'll be looking at an atlas but I'm really bad with reading maps. I mean...really bad.

Thanks and s for your help!

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by siobhan
I've actually got an app on my droid for that...called 'Haunted Sights', and there is a free version. All you have to do is type in a location to get a listing of local sites. There's also a way to rate those sites yourself, and tell of any experiences you have/haven't had. Pretty cool app, I think.

Just got the app. Thanks for the tidbit!

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

So here's where you come in, ATS. What are some paranormal places I could visit that might save my sanity? Our route from NC will mainly be on I-10 and I-40. I know we're stopping in New Orleans (cemetary tours!) and at the Alamo. We also plan to see Chaco Canyon. The rest...is just where the road takes us.

Have fun in the city and be safe! The cemetery tours are great. There are also ghost tours which bring you to the most haunted places in the city.. i also recommend the Myrtles Plantation, its a little ways north of New Orleans, but its one of the most haunted homes in the US. Make sure to bring your camera!

Myrtles Plantation

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Your trip is starting to sound pretty exciting to this old lady...bet you end up with some wonderful tales to tell here, when you return....I'm jealous...I really am....

Des

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Your trip is starting to sound pretty exciting to this old lady...bet you end up with some wonderful tales to tell here, when you return....I'm jealous...I really am....

Des

My mother-in-law has wanted to do this trip for her entire life. Since she's starting to develop knee problems, we figured it was time to make her wish happen. Both my husband and I are school teachers, so we've got the summer to roam...should be interesting.

I'm making my son do a photography and powerpoint project about the trip to take back to school. I use the word "make" but he's very excited about using his camera and making the powerpoint. So we'll see how that goes.

Are you oin our route? I'd be happy to swing by and pick you up!

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
San Antonio has a bunch of paranormal activity... taken from www.unsolvedmysteries.com...

I grew up there and have been to / experienced much of what is listed below..If you can, go check out the tracks..VERY Cool!!

The Alamo - Cold spots and a feeling of melancholy can be felt throughout the Fort. 189 Alamo defenders and at least 1200 Mexican soldiers fought and died here in San Antonio, many without the benefit of a proper burial leaving a lot of lost souls in search of a eternal resting place, thus making San Antonio one of the most haunted cities in America.

Alamo Quarry Theaters - The theater was built over an old cement factory and well rumor has it that there are bodies trapped in the foundation, witnesses that work there have seen a child in the projection room , and have felt various cold spots on the second floor on both sides of the theaters. And at night when the auditorium’s light inside would dim slowly down then on and the process would repeat itself until you left the auditorium.

Alamo Street Theater - There is a ghost by the name Margarite that haunts the establishment. The theater is in an old church building and she is usually seen in the choir loft in Victorian garb.

The Alamodome - Before the Alamodome was built, existed a bad neighborhood where a lady got raped and killed. She has been seen walking around the parking lot, as if to be lost. Years passed and the neighborhood was demolished and the dome was built. While constructing the dome, a worker was walking on a high beam and made a wrong step and fell to his death. He is seen walking the long halls of the dome. Last but not least, a famous daredevil died while performing a stunt. It is reported, that you are sure to hear footsteps, screams, mumbling, moans and see shadows walking along about their business.

Bexar Caribbean Apartments - Now known as the Willow Run apartments. These apartments have been in business for over 60 years. Before they were turned into apartments, it was a Motel business. The doors were painted in light yellow and blue pastels. Existing in what used to be the outskirts of town and just outside of Castle Hills, it would bring many customers of all races and origins. It was during this time that a rape and murder occurred in the North end of the complex. Every now and then in the middle of the night a woman's cry can be heard in the rear hallways. And in one of the apartment units, a suicide where a single mother overdosed on pain medication leaving her two year old to fend for herself. The child eventually died of starvation. The mother's body was found on the bed. The child's body was found on the floor next to the bed. It is unknown whether the overdose was accidental or intentional. When this particular apartment is empty the occupants of the downstairs apartment can hear the pitter patter of little feet walking up and down the upstairs unit. On occasion, a woman can be heard crying. Loud thumps can also be heard. Lights turn on and off by themselves and the toilet will flush on it's own. An occupant of the downstairs apartment noted that her young daughter told her "she was playing with a little girl". Believing that the child had an imaginary playmate, the mother discounted her little daughter's claims. Until one evening while the mother was sitting in the living room watching TV and her little girl was playing in the hallway with a small toy, she saw her daughter toss the small toy across the hallway into the front bedroom. The door had been left open. Then she heard her daughter talk to this imaginary friend to "give it back". To the mother's surprise, something or someone tossed the small toy back to her daughter. The mother kept watching and realized that there really was "someone or something" there. On another occasion while sleeping, she felt the touch of little fingers playing with her toes or gently tugging at her blankets. The apartment where the "suicide" took place is constantly vacant. Tenants seem to come and go and never stay longer than three years. And when the apartment is occupied, the "occurrences" diminish and or are none existent until the apartment is vacant again.

Bexar Kindred Elementary - It is said that a plane crashed in the field and when you enter the restrooms the sink will turn on and you could hear voices while you walk on the field.

Bexar Spanish Main Apartments Rittiman Rd. - If your sitting at the bottom of the stairs you can see from the side of your Eyes a little boy at the top of the stairs.

Bexar, The train tracks - In the 20's a bus full of kids was struck by a train on the southwest side of town. I have been there, it is real if you put your car there in neutral something pushes your car over the tracks. Sometimes if you look you can see small hand prints people believe this to be the small children who died in that accident...

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

LOL...I'm at the tip top of the N. Ga Mountains. You'd need room for 9 goats and a 120 lb. Great Pyrenees puppy to come with me.

We'll plan a Girl's Road Trip in the future...sans kids family and animals....

Have a Fantabulous Journey....

Des

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I hope you have fun on your trip. There is this website which you can check out called The Shadowlands. They have a list of all the states and the cities which are haunted. They have some pretty accurate sites AND they have descriptions of the types of hauntings that take place. Enjoy !

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by blackmetalmist

Thanks for the Shadowlands tip. I actually have been to that website and it makes interesting reading.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

bumping so maybe more people can suggest some great places. Thanks!

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Thanks to everyone for your responses! S for you all.

My husbby informs me we won't be traveling to Arizona (although lots of those places sound incredible). Seems our trip will be through Louisiana, Arkansas, New Mexico, Oklahoma.

The desert sky gazing sounds incredible. We're bringing our super telescope just for that reason. The only problem is...my husband and son wants to camp in the desert and I am not crazy about that at all. I hate tarantulas. Ugh. So what may happen is they sleep in the tent and my mother-in-law and I sleep in the van.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. Now to find that app and off to Amazon for the books! Great advice!

Too bad you won't be going through Savanna, Ga.! My friend visits there every year or so just because of all the paranormal stuff.

I googled "haunted Southwest" and got some good hits, but don't know if you'll be going by those places.
Maybe you'll have some interesting ghost experience of your own so you can become a beliver, and share your stories with us?

Have a great trip!

edit on 6/13/2012 by sled735 because: addition to comment

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I spend a lot of time in the San Luis valley of Southern Colo., Northern NM. This place never fails to amaze me and present me with always unexpected high strangeness of a sometimes very frightening nature. I am making a short documentary about an incident that happened in Saguach Co.

www.cyberwest.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Any other suggestions?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join