It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debating Religion Is Pointless

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Lol. I love religion threads, and religion discussions. Even when they are supposed to be subtle, they always spiral out of control. Always. It is virtually impossible to debate it.

Two people from the same Church can't agree exactly on the meaning of a single verse. Two people that read the Bible can't reach agreement because they are reading two different Bibles.

It's different people, with different lives, different experiences, different philosophies, and different ideas of what religion is, debating their different versions of what they call God, which they learned about from different translations of different texts written by people either thousands of years ago or people that might as well have been born yesterday.

There is a reason why God doesn't materialize to everyone at once and scream "HERE I AM, I'LL TELL YOU EVERYTHING I KNOW!" We are not supposed to know everything. Nobody has the answers. We have to think for ourselves. People need to stop thinking they have all the answers, because even if they did, they still have to live out their life on this rock and figure out what to do with all the know.

If they had all the answers, they would be God and there would be no discussion.

To me, belief in God in irrelevant. You should live the same way whether you believe in one, two, or none. Just be a good person damn it.
edit on 13-6-2012 by SubPop79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubPop79

To me, belief in God in irrelevant. You should live the same way whether you believe in one, two, or none. Just be a good person

No offense here, but even what being a good person is can be argued. lol

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
And this is why I am no longer a religious person.
Spiritual, sure. Religious nope.

Problem is that when it comes to religion there is always room for a different interpretation of a text.
I've seen people argue over verses in the bible and they both think they're right.
So who's going to heaven?

I avoid getting into super controversial convos overall because everyone has a very different take on an experience they themselves have.
One event could lead a person to greater faith, the same event to another person can be interpreted in such a way that it shatters theirs.

And it's the big reason why religion and politics do not mix.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
its only pointless because it's like debating with a 4 year old.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but it's not supposed to be a debate. Do you remember that cliche story about the elephant and the blind men? That's what I think it's supposed to be like. Each of us describing what we have found, and each listening to see if that adds to their own experience and understanding.

Consider St. John of the Cross:

... Love is the soul's inclination, strength, and power in making it's way to God . . .
That shouldn't be the subject of debate.

There have been great mystics finding God's presence in silent prayer, others find it in service. For some, the beauty of the Mass, or great art or music helps them to God;and for others it is what some call "routine prayers."

Please, don't debate it, at least not with the goal of trying to "win" anything. You're going wrong if you do.

The only thing to watch for is that God is not the only powerful supernatural entity. Caution is required.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SubPop79

Not being one to disagree with you about it being totally pointless, I too love those threads and go there every day in my ATS travels. I am old, disabled, I don't have a job, or responsibilities. So, I divide my time between ATS, watching TV in the evening hours, and spending time with my beautiful and understanding wife, she too has an ATS account, but doesn't spent time in here like me. I also fix computers in my spare time for extra money and something to do.

I personally think that the debates on religious theology and Biblical teachings and origins do much for humanity, in that they make everyone who reads them THINK, and QUESTION.

top topics

join