It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the paranormal not normal?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Why is the paranormal not normal?

I was telling a friend about the Fact or Faked show in which a UFO was seen while they were trying to debunk a UFO story. There was 3 of us in this conversation and it carried on into talking about the paranormal. As we talked it turn out that all 3 of us had some kind of paranormal event happen to us. So I kind of asked around more and found that most people have had some type of paranormal event. I think it would be super conservative to say 1 out of 10 people, it’s probable more like 1 out of 4. It seems to me being skeptical is a good thing but not a point where a person would deny everything. Ok 95% of the video on of UFOs on youtube are CG, and most evps are poor quality, I get that.

However consider if 1 out of 10 people came down with a new 24hour chicken pox virus, just the hit our economy would take, with 1 out 10 people being sick would cause an epidemic, it would be a huge problem. Yet if the skeptic are right and nothing is there, then right now 1 out of 10 people seeing stuff not there ….well that only leaves one of two concussions we can make about the paranormal.

1. There is a huge epidemic out there screwing with people minds and guess because our minds are messed up we can’t notice it.
2. Or the paranormal is normal.

With UFOs or ghost being consider real, they apparently do not really affect us typically in our daily lives, so why do so very many of us ignore this simply truth?
Why do people get so defensive about it?
And do you never see a published paper in a sciences journal l about paranormal theories?

Maybe is because we can’t test it or prove it, but you know what science has excepts the orrt cloud as real, yet it’s never been observed and is theorized based only on secondary evidence (comets). There has been more observations of UFOs than the orrt cloud. So what’s up with that. The only thing I can concluded is…

Apparently there is a double standard in the scientific method.

Any thoughts?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Things that we consider to be Paranormal have measurable standards that go beyond what we have proper technology in which to measure with and for. People believed in Ghost's before the invention of analog/digital recorders, which now today can provide controversial evidence for their presence. As the world goes on and developes, new technologies will arise that can detect, measure and accuratley record/document such findings.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Twentieth century man is still at a loss to explain the amazing knowledge and expertise that characterized some of his ancient predecessors.

Unlike primitive savages roaming wild and naked in the bush, they planned the pyramids, built Babylon, engineered Stonehenge, and structured the Mayan Caracol.

A thousand years before Darwin formed his theory of evolution, ancient mayans and Toltecs carved their own version of evolution in stone; their calendar was more precise than ours today, they even knew and used penicillin; and like the ancient Egyptians they designed great cities and mammoth pyramids. But from where or whom, did they get their information and expertise?

Where did the ancient Dogon of the West African Republic of Mali receive their knowledge of Siriu's invisible satellite? Sirius, a star of the first magnitude in the constellation Canis Major, is 8.5 light years away, yet they knew the satellite's position, gravitation, and orbit. The star's white satellite was not discovered until 1844, and was not seen by telescope until 1862. But the Dogons knew of it long before the telescope.

Why did the Assyrians who lived more than 2,000 BC encircle the planet Saturn with a ring of serpents? How could they know of Saturn's rings? They depicted no other planet in this way. In addition to encircling Saturn with Serpents, they also recorded the different phases of the moon with an accuracy not seen again until the seventeenth century AD. But they did it in 1440 BC.

How did those ancient Greeks know that there were seven stars Pleiades? They could only see six. Did a higher intelligence inform them?

Where did the Sumerians of Mesopotamia gain their expertise? According to researchers Alan and Sally Lansburg, "They pop up like some devilish jack-in-the-box around 3,000 BC, fully equiped with the first written language, sophisticated matematics, a knowledge of physics, chemistry, and medicine.

The pre-Inca mountaineers of Peru performed amputations, bone transplants, cauterizations, brain surgeries, and a variety of other complicated operations. From whom did they learn their advanced surgical skills?

(pages 9-10 from The Omega Conspiracy by Dr. I.D.E. Thomas

Today's paranormal will probably be understood and classified as normal in the future.

Remember, if you had told someone 150 years back about cell phones, flush toilets, satellites, cars, jets, the splitting of a atom, they would have thought you nuts.

A lot of stuff called "paranormal" probably has some basic quantum physics explanation.

At present, we are still in the dark ages in many areas of our "reality".

edit on 13-6-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I believe that we are a telepathic species, but have been made to think those attributes are evil. I am telepathically connected enough to know that my thoughts are often heard by others, as I hear theirs.

Religions tend to frown on things like ESP, telekinesis, telepathy, etc. because these things should only be from god. But they are not, they are from us. We are being duped into thinking that practicing and developing these traits are weird and wrong.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
I believe that we are a telepathic species, but have been made to think those attributes are evil. I am telepathically connected enough to know that my thoughts are often heard by others, as I hear theirs.

Religions tend to frown on things like ESP, telekinesis, telepathy, etc. because these things should only be from god. But they are not, they are from us. We are being duped into thinking that practicing and developing these traits are weird and wrong.

this is good example of something that could be testable, but guess what science just ignores it.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tbrooks76

Originally posted by windword

this is good example of something that could be testable, but guess what science just ignores it.

They do more than ignore it. Try telling a psychiatrist that you sometimes hear another's thoughts, or can "feel" who is ringing your phone!

edit on 13-6-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

What's "normal"?
Why is the supernatural not natural?
What's the difference between flammable and inflammable?

I don't think any of it is mutually exclusive. For the most part, if we can explain it to the satisfaction of the majority of learned people, it's "normal" and "natural". That doesn't mean everything else isn't normal or natural, but rather a convenient way to differentiate between what's conventionally accepted and what isn't.

Quantum physics. There's some paranormal, supernatural stuff going on there.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
It's amazing how many people who believe in paranormal also believe in faith(self) healing.

But when push comes to shove they call the police for strange noises and go to the hospital for illnesses.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Tbrooks76

In the course of their lives, many (perhaps most) people will see uncanny things for which there seem to be no obvious explanation. I’ve seen a few myself. The strangest were probably the undamaged feet of men and women who had just walked across a twenty-foot bed of burning coals, and a 'possessed' girl from whose never-healing wounds a born-again Christian exorcist would regularly extract needles, pins and other sharp metal objects which ‘came to the surface’ as he prayed over her.

The things I saw always turned out to have a natural explanation that was, if not certain, at least plausible. But it's only because I took the trouble to seek an explanation that I found one.

It wasn't always easy. In the case of the girl above, I only understood what was happening many years later, when I came across a reference to a similar case that occurs in the casebooks of the pioneer psychologist Kraft-Ebbing. Until then, I had the experience filed under ‘unexplained’, and since I wasn’t then the confirmed sceptic I am now, I was at least partly inclined to believe in demonic possession. My discovery of what was really going on with that poor girl strongly influenced my final rejection of the supernatural as an explanation for anything.

People who are inclined towards belief in the ‘paranormal’ are unlikely to go to as much trouble as sceptics do to understand what they've really experienced, be it a UFO or an apparent case of clairvoyance (or ‘remote viewing’ as it is known to those of limited vocabulary). Romantic or intellectually lazy people might also be quicker to accept a ‘paranormal’ explanation for something they cannot explain.

However, none of this means that aliens, ghosts, gods, demons or mental powers that defy the laws of physical reality exist. It just means that people don't always understand the reality of what they see. It's a pity so many are satisfied to invoke God, or aliens, or gremlins and ghosties, and leave it at that.

edit on 13/6/12 by Astyanax because: of leprechauns.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
That largely depends on your definition of the word normal. For a shaman living in the depths of Africa the chances are that normalcy involves a whole host of things that you or I might consider to be on the strange side. For a physicist working at the LHC on the Franco-Swiss border, the regular flow of things that happen there are a different kind of normal.

However, where the paranormal is concerned I would put it this way. If it cannot be weighed, measured, touched, tasted, tested and prodded by science, or explained by those considered to be rational persons, without resorting to one or another religious indoctrination, or to witchcraft and necromancy, then it may well be paranormal.

The paranormal covers things which by definition cannot be explained by any of the tools we in the modern age use to define the parameters of our every day lives. When chemistry, physics, biology, medicine, and psychology completely fail in every particular to explain an event, it can be considered paranormal, and in some cases supernatural.

However, that is not to say that every time science fails to explain something, that it PROVES anything about the event or situation it is examining. Quite the obvious opposite. True to form, all science can ever tell you , is that it has failed to record something, or failed to come to a conclusion. It will never tell you that something is NOT happening, only that it has failed to record something that may have, which are not the same things at all.

I suppose one could say that not only does the word paranormal cover things which cannot be explained by science, but further, that it covers things that science is unlikely to EVER explain. This differentiates between things like the Higgs Boson, which science is slowly chipping away at proving the existence of , and things like demonic possession and haunting, which cannot be proven by any means at the disposal of mankind so far as one can tell from observing the case histories which relate to those subjects.

We used to explain EVERYTHING we did as a species by claiming that one thing was the wrath of one god or spirit, and another was evidence of its love for a given people or tribe. We attributed everything from the passing of the seasons, to the success or failure of a crop to the presence or actions of curses and blessings, from gods and deamons , and blithe spirits of the Earth. Another way to look at it, would be that the paranormal could be defined as the parts of our human experience which have been left un explained by our modern way of thinking.

There are some things which I do not believe belong in the paranormal topic. Things like UFO and alien conspiracy for instance are either explainable but hushed up, or unexplainable and denied by the governments of the world largely speaking. However there are circumstantial evidences and huge numbers of eye witness testimonies, some surrounding single incidents (the Phoenix Lights, for example), which can be gone over at a whim by investigators who will find nuggets of interest to latch on to, using accepted science and investigation techniques that require no faith or belief in order to read or accept.

Truely paranormal events on the other hand, poltergeist activity for instance, cannot be investigated or explained unless a certain amount of ones disbelief is suspended, and suspension of disbelief is something which one ought only partake of when comfortably sat in a movie theatre, awaiting the latest presentation from the visual media giants that feed off our interest in that which bears no explanation.

In short, the mysteries to which we will soon know the answers are normal. Those to which we can have no answer based in solid and absolute evidence, either now or in times to come, those are paranormal.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Double ...
Post...

No idea how, sorry about that!
edit on 14-6-2012 by TrueBrit because: Double post.

top topics

join