It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is for all that hate Hip Hop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Recently on ATS there has been a lot of hate threads towards hip hop.

The connections of hip hop to violence and racism.

Saying its not real music.

Rightfully so.

But what you don't know is, what you are talking about is not real hip hop.

What you see and hear on tv is not hip hop.

It's popular music.

I took this video from another thread because I felt that it needed its own.

What this guy is saying is what the real deal is.

I know some of you will still hate, still dislike the genre.

But just try to understand it.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

There's also Christian rock instead of just rock music... Doesn't mean anybody is listening to it. Besides I think the consensus seemed to be the music wasn't the problem. It was the culture perpetuating what was rapped about.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
People who don't listen don't understand - hip hop is really not about violence - if the song is advocating violence you are not listening to hip hop. Hip hop songs might talk about violent acts, but never in such a way as to promote it. Usually if there is some sort of violence mentioned it's an experience the artist went through. While there can be occasionally a little bit of darkness in hip hop, usually it's about feel good music. Stuff that makes you nod your head.

I'm not a HUGE hip hop fan, but there is some great stuff out there.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I totally agree with the OP, I was just reading that worldstar thread, which I had never heard of... But that is not hip hop at all..

Hip Hop is intellectual, rap is all about bling blunts and beers

Like others said, Hip Hop does not promote senseless violence

Heres a guy ive seen perform in person a few times... very smart guy, who talks about real stuff in his music

edit on 13-6-2012 by morder1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Hip Hop does nothing more than propagate poor use of the english language.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack

Looks like you didn't watch the video.

😔

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
People on here and elsewhere behave as if youre racist or ignorant of its origins when you say you dont like hip hop/rap. I just dont.. like many people.... and there is nothing nefarious, ignorant, or racist about it. I dont like it any more than I like gospel or most country or techno.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

I don't care for hiphop or country.

But I know people like it and its good to them.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Hip hop was originally a tool to uplift the blacks and make them think better of themselves. It had a positive vibe and was about peace and doing the right thing. Then the media jews got ahold of it and felt it wouldn't make them as much money as music that glorified thug culture. So that is what they got. Had it been left alone it would have helped bring the black man out of his savageness and maybe even made him able to live well in the modern world. Instead, for the love of money, it has been used to make every problem they have worse. It is disgusting.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

that is your opinion and i respect that, but i totally disagree. listen to KRS1 or pharoah monche, some of the best use of language i have ever heard. there are countless other examples. Young people are writing poetry because of hip hop, learning to use language in creative ways allowing them to develop their intelligence independently. These same kids just aren't inspired by the likes of Dylan Thomas, at least not until they've matured... you have to support the youths.
this is relevant to hip hop lyrics.... this guy's inspired generations of rappers and lyricists in England... pooor use of English? no, he speaks how people speak in Salford....
www.youtube.com...
and there's nothing wrong with how people speak in Salford...
www.youtube.com...
edit on 13-6-2012 by theGreatunhosed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
There are many certain aspects of hip-hop culture one can see, But the most prevalent seems to be the violent gangsta type. That seems to be what most people see, Unfortunately.

I do like a few hip hop bands. Atmosphere Is good.

But I cant stand most of it! It is almost as bad as today's new country music......

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
People on here and elsewhere behave as if youre racist or ignorant of its origins when you say you dont like hip hop/rap. I just dont.. like many people.... and there is nothing nefarious, ignorant, or racist about it. I dont like it any more than I like gospel or most country or techno.

That's fine, if you just don't like it.

Personally I like all types of music. My playlist is 65,000 long (give or take a few hundred) and includes everything from Joe Walsh to Vivaldi, Atmosphere to Garth Brooks, Queens of the Stone Age to Al Green. Just to give some examples. =]

I don't think the OP was talking about people who simply don't enjoy this type of music - rather he was talking about how people confuse genres and classify everything with a beat and a 'rapper' as 'hip-hop' when it's not.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack

Listen to some Atmosphere - Slug is a poet and uses language expertly. Stereotypes are for people who are too lazy to look for themselves. =]

top topics

join