It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alan Watts ☮ The Way of Waking Up

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Found this video last night on youtube when searching for some of his stuff. One of the first books that got me into Zen and Taoism was The Way of Zen which was written buy him, but I'd never checked any of his speeches out on youtube. The way he describes things is just amazing, he had a real skill at getting his messaage across.

edit on 13-6-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by robhines

s&f
bump
excellent video

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I believe it is because he was in "the flow", and this is his life's purpose. That's why it is so seemless and natural. Like hickok on youtube showing how to shoot. It is just what he's here to do.

Once upon a time a friend of mine sent me 4 gigs of Alan Watts audio via sharebox (or whatever its called.) Great stuff for what I listened to.

I also like Eckhart Tolle

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by fourthmeal

I believe it is because he was in "the flow", and this is his life's purpose. That's why it is so seemless and natural. Like hickok on youtube showing how to shoot. It is just what he's here to do.

Once upon a time a friend of mine sent me 4 gigs of Alan Watts audio via sharebox (or whatever its called.) Great stuff for what I listened to.

Yeah he seems to have found the perfect thing in life, exactly what he was suited best for, and it's great to listen to/read what he had to say. And 4 gigs of his talks? Wow, working through that must be pretty amazing! Not familiar with Eckhart Tolle yet but have recently added him on twitter and will research further soon hopefully.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
S&F!

The best bit is at the end of the video....

Do you define yourself as a victim of the world or are you the world itself?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
my exposure to Alan Watts was thru the books This is Zen and The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

i recommend those books.

Alan Watts has an uncanny ability to help translate complex concepts or situations taught by zen masters of the orient using english concepts and analogies. Audio wise---His bedside vocal texture/rhythm makes him even cooler and easy to listen to.

edit on 13-6-2012 by krossfyter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Awesome, I love Alan Watts.

Thank you for this! S&F

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
excellent video, very insightful and inspiring.
I feel there are some out there who cannot comprehend what Alan has attempted to describe. I then look at myself and see what I have experienced to come to the level of understanding I currently uphold

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
First time I have heard of this fellow.
Thanks for the introduction.
I could listen to that guy read a phone book or perhaps a dictionary all day long.

Can't wait to dig into some more.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Great video, Alan Watts is a brilliant speaker!

flagged!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by robhines

Yeah he seems to have found the perfect thing in life, exactly what he was suited best for, and it's great to listen to/read what he had to say. And 4 gigs of his talks? Wow, working through that must be pretty amazing! Not familiar with Eckhart Tolle yet but have recently added him on twitter and will research further soon hopefully.

Here's someone you may not know is awake, talking about Tolle
www.youtube.com...

Carl Sagan was another one with a natural flow.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I'm a long-time fan of Mr. Watts... this man truly was brilliant, and he doesn't get as much attention as he deserves!

Thank you for keeping his legacy alive..

edit on 14-6-2012 by Isabelx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Here's someone you may not know is awake, talking about Tolle
www.youtube.com...

Carl Sagan was another one with a natural flow.

Thanks, will check that out a bit later on.

And thanks for all the flags, not because they've been added to my account, but so that other people can see how many the thread has got so quickly, and hopefully have more chance of clicking on the thread and listening to the clip after wondering why.

edit on 14-6-2012 by robhines because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Thanks for posting.

Some of the best nuggets I carry from reading Alan Watts:

It is what it is.

And when you wake up in the morning, just start laughing.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Why anyone would ever succumbe to these false teachings is beyond me. Hinduism and buddhism teach that mans own sufficiency lies within. Ever ask a hindu or a buddist why is it that if reincarnation is a fact, why has the worlds population increased from 300 million people in 1AD to over 7 billion in 2011. Where are all these new souls coming from. The math just doesnt add up.The answers are not within yourselves.One can only have true peace through the Judeo Christian god.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Theophorus
The answers are not within yourselves.One can only have true peace through the Judeo Christian god.

“Neither shall they say, "Lo here!" or, "Lo there!" For, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.” - Luke 17:21

edit on 16-6-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Why anyone would ever succumbe to these false teachings is beyond me. Hinduism and buddhism teach that mans own sufficiency lies within. Ever ask a hindu or a buddist why is it that if reincarnation is a fact, why has the worlds population increased from 300 million people in 1AD to over 7 billion in 2011. Where are all these new souls coming from. The math just doesnt add up.The answers are not within yourselves.One can only have true peace through the Judeo Christian god.

oh dear... this is painful to read...

Do you believe "earth" is the ONLY place life exists in the entire universe?

Perhaps you should recheck your math...

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

These teachings may not be for you but there are many paths up the mountain and they all lead to the summit. Be thankful you don't have to push an enormous boulder up to the mountain peak as well. ( and have it roll away from you as you reach the top and roll all the way back down again..over and over again)

Your math question is easy, the 7 billion figure is the total number of souls who were incarnated on this planet throughout history (and a few others). All of these 7 Billion souls have chosen to incarnate now...Hmm...I wonder why? Do you think that something monumental is about to happen perhaps? Do you think that something epic in the history of the cosmos is about to happen? Maybe the greatest show in the history of the cosmos is about to happen very soon? Only peace through a Judeo Christian God? If that is what you chose to believe, I guess it's your choice, I would just submitt that you may wish to reconsider your position.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by robhines

The answers are not within yourselves.One can only have true peace through the Judeo Christian god.

“Neither shall they say, "Lo here!" or, "Lo there!" For, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.” - Luke 17:21

edit on 16-6-2012 by robhines because: added
brilliant. You do know that you are quoting this to fit your own idealistic pov. God is within us however as the hindus make you believe you and god are the same. You are not the same as god. God is infinite you are not. God created you, you did not create yourself. Truth be known; enlightenment is knowledge. Do you actually think that any human being could ever measure up to the knowledge of god. Brilliant absolutely brilliant.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

oh dear... this is painful to read...

Do you believe "earth" is the ONLY place life exists in the entire universe?

Perhaps you should recheck your math...

maybe you should check your math. Number of planets= billions . Number of life forms found=0

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join