It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strong Tornado Hits Italy's Venice!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Wow! Fortunately, seems like that there's no injuries.

A strong tornado hit Italy's Venice and its lagoon causing big damage to local environment.
Hundreds of trees were destroyed by the storm which hit the renowned northern city and some small islands of its lagoon including Sant'Elena, Sant'Erasmo and Certosa.

According to local civil protection agency, the tornado that caused "heavy loss" also damaged several buildings and boats.

Some 15 children who were attending a sailing course in the Venice lagoon were rescued by police after they trapped in the container in which they had taken refuge, according to Corriere della Sera newspaper.

In 1970, one of the most deadly tornados ever to hit Italy struck the Venetian lagoon drowning 21 people aboard a motorboat that was seized into the air and then capsized in the waters.

Wiki said that it was "Likely an F2 tornado" and, according to the List of European tornadoes and tornado outbreaks, it's the fourth time since 2000 that a tornado hit Veneto region.

edit on 13-6-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
This is so sad! One of the places I would still love to visit!
Just this weekend I watched a documentary on Venice and the effect of rising sea levels and the effect they "may" have on Venice!

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Cool Vid. The tornado seems to stay stationary. I am from the U.S. Midwest and I have seen tornadoes travel at 65 MPH across the land. They are definitely a sight to behold.

Anyone interested in watching tornado chasers live and in action can go here:

Tornado Chasers

join