It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I talked to someone who didn't believe that gravity exists outside of earth.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Chargeit

get used to it, soon theyll be teaching creationism in school instead of evolution, then everyone will be that stupid

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I had two christian co-workers who laughed in my face when I brought up aliens and ufos. Dismissed them as crazy talk and non-existent.

Yea. A lot of the belief that Aliens and UFO's are just for crazy people comes from some of the "indisputable" evidence that proponents are willing to back up. I'll point you to Ancient Aliens. I mean wow. To take every aspect of human evolution and credit it to aliens. lol. then wonder why people consider the subject of ET's loony. I don't care if every single word they say is 100% on the money. It sounds crazy as hell to most people. Is it possible sure why not. plausible not so much. In my eyes most proponents are just out for the quick buck and really don't care how much damage they do to the real community. sorry.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Tell them to hold Genesis 5 up to a mirror and read it backwards. It reads : "1.And God said, let the alien ships not land upon the earth until 2000 years after my son walks on its surface. 2. Let them contact man and teach him of the rest of his physical universe. 3. Allow all those who hear this understand. 4. Amen."
There's some other stuff about Roswell, Chemtrails and NWO in there too....
If they can't read it, they must have the wrong translation. Tell them they may need an older bible because it's in the Gutenberg Bible.... all those people who made translations must have changed it to hide the truth of God from them...

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I know a guy who told me that "there is more oxygen in Israel and that's why the grapes grow as big as plums" You can't really argue with people like that. It really is pointless. I just laugh and roll along with it.

V

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Ha Ha!! LOL!!

There's some other stuff about Roswell, Chemtrails and NWO in there too....
If they can't read it, they must have the wrong translation. Tell them they may need an older bible because it's in the Gutenberg Bible....

hilarious!

Yeah.....perhaps the "conspiracists" might wish to add to their portfolio......that:

Guttenberg put in the characters in his printing press in a way to achieve World Domination, at the behest of his "Masters", the "Illuminati"......oh, yeah!! It gets "better"!!

Every ridiculous "conspiracy theory" could be rolled up into a big ball, and then any number of minor "corollaries" could be trotted out!!

Sweet!.........

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Variable

Sad thing is, that this:

I know a guy who told me that "there is more oxygen in Israel and that's why the grapes grow as big as plums"

....is actually 'believed' on some level, some where....in the World!

And, that ( ^ ^ ^ ) is the basis for many other such silly "urban legends" (as they used to be called)...but, "urban legends" of old are now sent across the InterWebz in a split second, and thus...a new term must be established....

Is there one?

Is there an exact reference to the old "wive's tales" similarity? What is the current term to the nonsense that can spread along the Internet in fractions of a second?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I'm a Christian, and find it surprising we other Christians laugh and ignore the possibility of other life there, the bible mentions quite a few different types of life, angles, falling angles, demons, mankind, mixture of mankind and angles, sprits….blah blah blah. I think God never put a limit on what he created.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut
If gravity doesn't exist outside of earth, ask him to explain why the planet stays in orbit... Is God inside of it flying it around the sun?

No, it is shoved around in space by a little invisible angel, which was Johannes Kepler's theory before he got some sense. See, www.lhup.edu... That was in accord with the Aristotelean thought that every action must have an agent causing it. Even Newton fell prey to this Aristotelean fallacy,
As for your friend, as Stephen King once said, "Stupid is a prison they never let you out of, no time off for good behavior, you are in for life."

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
If gravity doesnt exist outside Earth, that must mean that gravity doesnt exist in Heaven. Which means that God must be floating around. If we agree that He doesnt float around like a fat bearded balloon, then it must mean that gravity exists outside Earth.

There you go, religion is logical! Tell that to your religious friends. I am interested to hearing their answer.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Oh he and many others in his Church no doubt believe it "100% God's-Honest-Truth." I don't think you can fix that kind of mentality though. The scary thing is they can vote! We need more education and access to the internet across the board, but as another thread spoke about. We really need Logic and Reason taught in schools in every grade level. We need to give people the gift of healthy skepticism and a frame work for finding answers to questions.

But I will say one more thing if I may... I know another fellow who is college educated, Navy vet, solid upper middle-class, gun toting, Conservative who believes that the moon landings were fake because "if you landed on the moon you would sink" believes the whole thing was a grand conspiracy. All NASA folks were in on it.

Now I know many on this site would go "duh, everyone knows that" but, really that's some solid fringe non-linear thinking. I mean, you have to ignore a bunch of evidence to come to that conclusion. I think that's just as scary as believing Israel is blessed by God and has more oxygen.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

He doesn'r believe there's gravity, I don't think he ever heard of lagrange point.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

EXACTLY!!!

....lagrange point.

Sadly, MANY do not know the term "LaGrange point"...so, here:

en.wikipedia.org...

(you're welcome)......

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

The man has put his faith in God, and because of that, he has not felt the need to study the subjects of astrophysics and aliens to put his mind at ease.

Furthermore, we should judge people for how much joy and happiness they bring to the world - not what they do and do not know.
-----
Let me ask you these questions:

Would you like it if someone made a thread that targeted and berated your ignorance on any given subject?

Between an ignorant person, and an ignorant person who mocks others for their ignorance, who would you rather befriend?
-----
I'll leave you with this quote:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster." - Friedrich Nietzsche

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleeeeep

The man has put his faith in God, and because of that, he has not felt the need to study the subjects of astrophysics and aliens to put his mind at ease.

Furthermore, we should judge people for how much joy and happiness they bring to the world - not what they do and do not know.
-----
Let me ask you these questions:

Would you like it if someone made a thread that targeted and berated your ignorance on any given subject?

Between an ignorant person, and an ignorant person who mocks others for their ignorance, who would you rather befriend?
-----
I'll leave you with this quote:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster." - Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm looking over my comments and for the most part nothing I said was mocking anyone. I just couldn't believe such a basic concept wasn't understood and that I was laughed at for suggesting it. If anything they mocked me for what I was saying.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Your friend is an idiot. Stop being friends with them.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
no aliens in the bible??? who was it that came down from the sky in a rotating wheel thing and spoke to ezekiel??? it's a great alien story.

it is sad, your friend , their lack of common sense and deductive reasoning....sadder still, many out there like him....

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

There is no need to pretend.

I wasn't attacking your behavior, per se, I was offering you empathy through understanding. If you can empathize with them, you can enjoy their companionship more.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by PluPerfect
reply to post by Variable

Sad thing is, that this:

I know a guy who told me that "there is more oxygen in Israel and that's why the grapes grow as big as plums"

And, that ( ^ ^ ^ ) is the basis for many other such silly "urban legends" (as they used to be called)...but, "urban legends" of old are now sent across the InterWebz in a split second, and thus...a new term must be established....

Is there one?

Is there an exact reference to the old "wive's tales" similarity? What is the current term to the nonsense that can spread along the Internet in fractions of a second?

don't know of a term, but we have snopes to combat it with! www.snopes.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
This may be off topic but, It again shows the level of stupidity of some people.
I once new a guy who believed that every video on mtv was (live).
I swear he did ! So I ask; where is the mike? his answer was;
they use boom mikes ! My reply was; do you see all those amps ? how could you hear him ?
They can do that stuff now man. I smiled and never said more than hello
to him after. I mean really ? And he was a grown man well, (physically anyway.)
.... We then began calling the missing link !

Peace.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Seems, after all, there ARE intelligent people, online!

Above Top Secret (or "ATS") had begun to diminish my "faith" in such intelligence, of late.....nice to see that "it" (intelligence) still exists.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join