It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I talked to someone who didn't believe that gravity exists outside of earth.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I was trying to explain to a friend at work that you could believe in the bible and still allow for aliens (I don't belive in gods btw and fully believe in intelligent life outside of earth. Now if their visiting us is another story.) He said if their were aliens the bible would of told him.

I tryed to explain that there's other worlds out there countless. I explained that with the vastness of everything there has to be life outside of earth and the solar system. He looked at me, Laughed. There's no gravity up there! How can anyone live in space? I explained. There's no gravity in space yes. "But!" There's gravity on other masses in space (planets most likely said planets.) He laughed again and said I've seen videos. There's no gravity in space people float. He said. And we've been to space and didn't find any aliens.... I was, and still am dumbfounded.

How are people ever suppose to consider life on other planets possible when they don't even think gravity exists outside of earth? Its no wonder people don't believe in aliens when they think we've been there and done that. lmao. We've been to space and haven't found aliens?? We've explored but a grain of sand in the oceans. I mean come on. It no wonder that most people consider aliens to be a joke. Lmao. They don't even believe that gravity exists outside of earth. They think we've already seen all the universe has to offer.

If anything I'm making this post to put the word out. Most of your friends and family don't even realize that there's gravity outside of our planet. They don't realize the vastness of space. They think that we've seen all that space has to offer.

I'm not sure theres much point here. Just pushing on my story.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Chargeit

Yes....unfortunately many people believe the same as your friend does.

I have a friend that believes that alien sightings and UFO are hallucinations sent by the devil. I don't believe that at all. I have told her my real experiences and what I believe and now just a little bit...she is saying that some may exist and were created by God...but that most of them are still sent by the devil.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Yea. Its sad. The subject should be seriously considered. Yet most are so uneducated on the subject that its considered pure fantasy. sad.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
they should concentrate on this Galaxy before contemplating the Universe.
Apple go up,,,bxzrk,,,, cool said pxcrtx

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
It was probably the same getting people to finally accept we revolve around the sun and not the other way around.

Imagine telling the people during the witch trail days that the devil doesn't live in the woods.

Ignorance, just like knowledge, is taught. Someone taught this person to believe this. Most likely a family member.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Wow, your friend is a moron and has a fundamentally flawed understanding on the cosmos. I have a friend like that as well & learned there is really nothing you can do to change their minds so I just let their ignorance be.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

If there is no gravity / gravity effect in space ask him to explain lagrange points.
edit on 12-6-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
This seems to be the major believe out there sad as it is.

Sorry on my tablet so just going to read comments for now.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

The aliens came by and picked up somebody like that....

..... they said there was no intelligent life here, so they left

we're just a teeny tiny little speck in all that is the universe, why, oh why would anyone think that of all the panets around all the stars in all the galaxies in the universe that we would be the only possible one to support life???

I don't know if they fly around in space ships or not, I don't know if they're more or less civilized than we are, but there's no way that we're "alone" in this.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
If gravity doesn't exist outside of earth, ask him to explain why the planet stays in orbit... Is God inside of it flying it around the sun? As far as the other talking points you brought up, it's a simple logic fail. There's nothing you can do to help someone with blinders on.
edit on 12-6-2012 by EyesWideShut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
u mean the earth does not rest on the back of a turtle?,,or the shoulders of zues,, or the ,,,,

so sad,,,,

just what are they teaching in grade 7 science???

???????????????????????????

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

A mate of mine once wondered out loud, "How come we can't see all the way to China?" It was a clear day and the question made common sense.

Another guy, back at school, got into a full-on argument that the Sun in Spain is not the same as the Sun that shines on England on account of it being hotter over there and 'obvious.'

This Calvin and Hobbes cartoon sprung to mind...

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky

A mate of mine once wondered out loud, "How come we can't see all the way to China?" It was a clear day and the question made common sense.

Another guy, back at school, got into a full-on argument that the Sun in Spain is not the same as the Sun that shines on England on account of it being hotter over there and 'obvious.'

This Calvin and Hobbes cartoon sprung to mind...

uhhh ohhh.... there are some that are actually going to believe the link you posted and dedicate their lives to defending it as the "truth" now

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Your first mistake was attempting to have a rational conversation with a person who says that "if their were aliens the bible would have told him."

I work with a guy who once told me he believed that witches exist because "it says so in the Bible". I haven't attempted to have a real conversation with him since.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
First feeling- Bahahaahh....

On second thought- I honestly feel sorry for that person....For someone to think everything revolves around us, miniscule (Religous) humans on a tiny little speck of dust in an infinate universe is..........To tell you the truth......Borderline mentally ill.

IMHO

This is kind of sad.

edit on 12-6-2012 by llmacgregor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
If there is no gravity / gravity effect in space ask him to explain lagrange points.
edit on 12-6-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

Dude, if the guy doesn't understand that there are other planets out there with their own gravity, something like lagrange points is way too esoteric for him to even contemplate. Baby steps...baby steps...

Originally posted by Kandinsky

He no doubt heard people say things like, "the Sun down in Spain is so much hotter," and assumed that was opposed to the OTHER sun that shines in England. It's a problem of taking the way the phrase is used in language incorrectly, along with some really gigantic gaps in his basic knowledge about the world. Very sad.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Your title:

"I talked to someone who didn't believe that gravity exists outside of earth"

....has left me very depressed.

To think that there is such ignorance in the World, gives me pause.

.....But, I should not be surprised. I have long maintained (to anyone who will list4en) that "religion" is the ultimate downfall of Humanity.....that the "anchor" of such antediluvian belief structures is what holds Humanity back from achieving greater things.....

...."some" have "wondered" at the rather sudden surge in just the last century, or so, of technology and advancement.....I suggest it is due to the gradual, very slow (unfortunately), slow, slow, slow (but inevitable) sloughing off of the "religion" mantle, and silly beliefs in such super-natural nonsense.....gradually, science is taking hold. There are back-slides, to be sure....but, over-all, the progression is forward.........

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
"If there were aliens the bible would have told me". Facepalm.
Sadly, this does not surprise me. At All.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

There's no gravity in space yes. "But!" There's gravity on other masses in space (planets most likely said planets.)

Seems you don't understand it better than that "someone".
There is gravity everywhere. On a planet or not. No matter where you go in the universe you will be under the influence of gravity, from somewhere.

Not sure what it has to do with Aliens and UFOs though.

edit on 6/13/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

"But!" There's gravity on other masses in space (planets most likely said planets.)

Seems you don't understand it better than that "someone".
There is gravity everywhere. On a planet or not. No matter where you go in the universe you will be under the influence of gravity, from somewhere.

Not sure what it has to do with Aliens and UFOs though.

edit on 6/13/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

yup, each and every thing that has mass has gravity. The forces of gravity are at work all through the universe by the mass that exists in it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join