It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nanoparticles found in moon glass bubbles explain weird lunar soil behaviour (w/video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Some great analysis by Dr. Zbik of Queensland University of Technology (QUT) on the lunar soil points to quantum mechanical affects on unusual nanoparticles within the soil created by high energy and heat from meteor impacts on the moon. Interesting stuff! Can this explain some of the lunar mysteries astronomers have been observing throughout the ages?

We were really surprised at what we found," Dr Zbik said. "Instead of gas or vapour inside the bubbles, which we would expect to find in such bubbles on Earth, the lunar glass bubbles were filled with a highly porous network of alien-looking glassy particles that span the bubbles' interior.

Evidently, Dr. Zbik believes these strange nanoparticles within bubbles in the soil interact with still unknown quantum mechanics to give these strange characteristics of the lunar soil:

"Lunar soil is electro-statically charged so it hovers above the surface; it is extremely chemically active; and it has low thermal conductivity eg it can be 160 degrees above the surface but -40 degrees two metres below the surface. "It is also very sticky and brittle such that its particles wear the surface off metal and glass."

Check out the full article here at nanowerk, it's a short easy read and if you are fascinated with the moon as much as I, should not miss it!

A link to his published paper here

Video!

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   
"Alien-looking glassy particles"?
What?
"Dr Zbik said nano particles behaved according to the laws of quantum physics which were completely different from so called 'normal' physics' laws."
What?

Interesting that the paper itself says nothing like that. Here is the reference to the "unusual behavior of lunar soil" from the paper. www.agu.org...

Interesting but it looks like another case of popular media taking real science and completely mutilating it.
edit on 6/13/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

reply to post by Phage

Eh? What are you on about? What you have linked to is not the whole paper, it is only about the movement of lunar dust. If you describe the movement of lunar dust, you don't yet start explaining the why's and how's, that would happen in a later section of a paper. I know, because I have written some.
The other links given are more pop-science and include interviews. That makes them easier to understand, yet everything that has been said is scientifically plausible and the word 'alien' means very probably 'not of earth' rather than 'little green men'.
I find this all very interesting and can't see the negativity that you are trying to instill.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
"Alien-looking glassy particles"?
What?
"Dr Zbik said nano particles behaved according to the laws of quantum physics which were completely different from so called 'normal' physics' laws."
What?

Interesting that the paper itself says nothing like that. Here is the reference to the "unusual behavior of lunar soil" from the paper. www.agu.org...

The "alien-looking" remarks were not from the paper but a quote from Dr. Zbik from the article:

"Instead of gas or vapour inside the bubbles, which we would expect to find in such bubbles on Earth, the lunar glass bubbles were filled with a highly porous network of alien-looking glassy particles that span the bubbles' interior.

Alien, as in non-terrestrial, not as in little green men. They are non-terrestrial because they are caused by the lack of an atmosphere on the moon as compared to earthly impacts.

Interesting but it looks like another case of popular media taking real science and completely mutilating it.
edit on 6/13/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

I agree media tends to dumb down things for the layman, way way too much at times, but I disagree with your critique on this one Phage.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
The guy made a comment,,daym..........would you go to so much trouble to break him down if he were anyone other than the ATS sensation " Phage"...hahahaa.lol just kiddn man

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
i look forward to reading these articles and the strange phenomena that occur in the moons soil. thanks ffor the thread.

top topics

join