It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assistant state attorney appointed for George Zimmerman case

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Assistant state attorney appointed for George Zimmerman case

SEMINOLE COUNTY --
There’s a new player in the case against George Zimmerman.

Assistant state attorney Richard W. Mantei has been appointed to handle the investigation and representation of the state of Florida.

The appointment was made June 4, but is now just being released.

click link for remainder of story....

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Im not sure how this fits into the events. Usually this is already resolved at the begining and not during however this case has been jacked from the start. I am curious if this is just the normal routine for Florida or if they are getting someone in a bit early with the gathering storm clouds over the current State Attorney for her threat to sue Dershowitz and Harvard for his criticism of her actions on the case?

I f Angela Corey threatened suit against Dershowitz and Harvard, she needs to step down from Zimmerman case
edit on 12-6-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
No lawyer really wants to give up a winner, especially if the case is political.
I think she smells a loser here and wants to bail.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nite_wing
No lawyer really wants to give up a winner, especially if the case is political.
I think she smells a loser here and wants to bail.

I agree on the loser case comment however there would be no need to pass it off to someone else. The Feds are ready to step in and achrge / try Zimmerman with a hate crime at the Federal level, although just like at the state level I get the impression they are just making up facts in order to support the charge.

How can a person be charged with a ahte crime when there is no direct evidence to establish who started the altercation?

This whole thing has been mismanaged from the start.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

It is too political to dismiss the case. Certain elements of the public as well as certain aspects of the government would be enraged. The easiest way is is to make Zimmerman's life hell to satisfy certain interestes and let the jury take the heat.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Nite_wing

Yeah, I think thats also why they are pushing the perjury angle. To get *something*.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Hey, thanks for this bit of info.

After reading the tit for tat between Dershowitz and Corey, I would assume that they want a clear slate and Corey seems to have over stepped her professionalism, leaving a tainted and questionable motive.

Dershowitz has been critical of Corey since she charged Zimmerman with second-degree murder in April. He says the affidavit she filed to support that charge omitted key facts and contained "half truths."

Dershowitz says Corey, in her affidavit, "willfully omitted all information" about injuries Zimmerman suffered in his conflict with 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. He said Corey denied having an obligation to include that information.

"She should go back to law school, where she will learn that it is never appropriate to submit an affidavit that contains a half truth, because a half truth is regarded by the law as a lie, and anyone who submits an affidavit swears to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth," Dershowitz wrote.

Dershowitz has ripped Corey repeatedly.

The affidavit, he said in a television interview, "is not only thin, it's irresponsible." He described Corey's announcement of the charge as "a campaign speech for re-election" and later wrote that she has been "anything but ethical, lawful and professional" in prosecuting the case.

n an appearance on Fox News, he went a step further: If Corey knew about Zimmerman's injuries, he said, "This affidavit submitted by the prosecutor in the Florida case is a crime... It's a perjurious affidavit."

articles.orlandosentinel.com...

Evidently she went on a 40-minute rant, during which she threatened to sue Harvard Law School, to try to get him disciplined by the Bar Association and to file charges against him for libel and slander.

The affidavit, he said in a television interview, "is not only thin, it's irresponsible." He described Corey's announcement of the charge as "a campaign speech for re-election" and later wrote that she has been "anything but ethical, lawful and professional" in prosecuting the case.

So, in my opinion , they picked some one who hasn't made any waves. If she held back info, and released selected details to try to sway and alter the facts, she needs to be gone. I might even go so far as to say she needs to be investigated. Plus, now, she's got Harvard itself involved.

She definitely acted very unprofessional.......

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nite_wing

It is too political to dismiss the case. Certain elements of the public as well as certain aspects of the government would be enraged. The easiest way is is to make Zimmerman's life hell to satisfy certain interestes and let the jury take the heat.

Purusing a case because of political / external influence pressure is the definition of prosecutorial misconduct. The justice system should be allowed to work without external influence, regardless of how people feel. Right now the stand your ground law is undergoing an intense review and will most likely be changed.

How many want to make a wager now that if the law is changed you will have people trying to argue the new law should apply to the Zimmerman situation instead of the law as it was when the incident occured?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack

Yeah, I think thats also why they are pushing the perjury angle. To get *something*.

Perjury so far is just against the wife and not Zimmerman. Trying to link the 2 by the prosecutor will be tough since it will be presented, if at all, as a theory and nothing else.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

What I want to see, since they are going after the wife for perjury, is to go after the detective who wrote up the PC statement and corey for signing off on it for the exact same charge.

When the detective was directly asked, on the stand and under oath, about the line in the PC statement that said Zimmerman started the altercation, and when asked he could not provide any information to support that statement, that should have been the end of it.

Perjury is perjury, whether your the wife, a witness, a detective or even the prosecutor.

Zimmerman's Attorney Made a Deft Move, Experts Claims

The apology came after Zimmerman's defense attorney, Mark O'Mara, questioned an investigator for the special prosecutor, sentence by sentence, about a probable cause affidavit the investigator signed outlining certain facts in the case.

Investigator Dale Gilbreath testified that he does not know whether Martin or Zimmerman threw the first punch and that there is no evidence to disprove Zimmerman's contention he was walking back to his vehicle when confronted by Martin. The affidavit says "Zimmerman confronted Martin and a struggle ensued."

Read more: latino.foxnews.com...

edit on 12-6-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I would be surprised if George does not get charged to. Here are some of the records. And I sill can't figure out who Ken is that told her to get and hide money? Kenneth is the name of the judge?
www.scribd.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

All I know is that Angela Corey needs to be removed and investigated. Thanks to her conniving and deception, she has turned the case completely against Zimmerman in the public eye.

What is the difference in half truths and lies? NOTHING.....

This is more from Dershowitz:

Her beef was that I criticized her for filing a misleading affidavit that willfully omitted all information about the injuries Zimmerman had sustained during the “struggle” it described.

She denied that she had any obligation to include in the affidavit truthful material that was favorable to the defense.

She insisted that she is entitled to submit what, in effect, were half truths in an affidavit of probable cause, so long as she subsequently provides the defense with exculpatory evidence.

nicholasstixuncensored.blogspot.com...

Okay.... so she denied that she had any obligation to put in it truthful material. What a great role model she is....

She should go back to law school, where she will learn that it is never appropriate to submit an affidavit that contains a half truth, because a half truth is regarded by the law as a lie, and anyone who submits an affidavit swears to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. [Dershowitz is saying here that Corey perjured herself.]

She's scary looking any way.....I don't know how to post pictures but here's the link:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

The affidavit says "Zimmerman confronted Martin and a struggle ensued."

And yet at the same time, the investigator says they really don't know for sure what went down and who threw the first punch.

I'm with you... both the investigator and Corey need to be tried for perjury and altering this case against Zimmerman. How is he supposed to have a fair trial now that they "selected" bits of information to feed the media only to hurt his case.

The more I'm finding out about this BS, the more pissed off I'm getting.

Although they did say that the lawyer for George Zimmerman made a deft move Friday that exposed the prosecution's weaknesses when he called a state investigator on the witness stand during a routine bail hearing.

What was supposed to be strictly a hearing for bail, he used it as a discovery device, and was able to nail the investigator into making very, very pointed statements about the investigation and about what evidence they have. Read more: latino.foxnews.com...

If they do find facts to be omitted on purpose, will that affect the trial in any way?
Just curious....

To me, this is worse than what the wife supposedly did about their money situation.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

As far as the trial goes.....

From my perspective and based on the info we know about this never should have passed muster in terms of actually filing the charge. First there is no evidence to support the depraved indifference element of their 2nd degree murder statute (depraved indifference - where the act alone shocks the conscious and outweighs the end result). Secondly the moment the detective was confronted on the stand and gave the answer in question, the charge should have been dismissed since, again, another required element of 2nd murder was disproved.Hell even the police are contradicting themselves, first stating they could not arrest Zimmerman because the law did not allow for it based on the evidence at the time up to the police stating Zimmermans version of events dont fit the facts.

So his version fit the facts up to the point of a public backlash because people dont know the law, resulting in them stating Zimmermans story is not consistent with the evidence?

Which is it?

In my opinion the prosecutions case is compromised beyond salvage and to continue is a miscarriage of justice. Factor in the PA's stunt going after Harvard and Dershowitz and the possible conflict of interest she just created.. Right now the prosecutions actions are just as suspect as Zimmermans and his wifes.

Unless damning evidence comes out that gives us a step by stpe of the action that night, I dont see how this case is going to go forward with any credability.They seem to be confusing public interest (the manner in which its prosecuted and its impact on society as a whole) with public opinion and prosecution based on that opinion and not law.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

The only thing that I can think of, and I'm treading very carefully here, is the "pressure" from the public. Well, a certain group of the public. And their threats of retaliation if an arrest wasn't made.

I just can't believe the extent that the facts have been distorted and on purpose by the people in charge, who are not supposed to be biased one way or another.

So much for a FAIR trial.....

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   

The affidavit says "Zimmerman confronted Martin and a struggle ensued."

And yet at the same time, the investigator says they really don't know for sure what went down and who threw the first punch.

They know exactly what happened. The investigation is over. They are just keeping it from th public. That is why she bailed. She may now be preparing her own defense if after the trial, Judge Lester finds he was misled from the beginning.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Fuuny you should mention this.. Aside from the arrest of hise wife I saw a blurb on the news about new evidence being relesed that is problematic. Im not sure for which side or what it is about.. The moment the news comes back to that story I will hsare.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack

Totally agree. The case itself is a lemon. It can't be won by the facts .. only by emotions.
The purjury thing is either to 'get something' or to somehow try to weaken the Zimmerman case
in the eyes of the public (the public which wasn't buying the prosecutions accusations).

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
It revolved around his wifes perjury charge and how the defense will proceed..

So nothing new..

new topics

top topics

join