It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Put Down the Offensive Sidewalk Chalk!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
REALLY????? Are these people for real?

Seriously, aren't there more important worries in our country, such as the economy and the high number of unemployed people to name a few, than worrying about a 3 year old drawing hearts and flowers on a sidewalk?

How on God's green Earth, can this be considered offensive????

So much for a "friendly" neighborhood. Sounds like some one needs to get a life and quit being such a loser!!!

A homeowners association in Denver wants to ban "offensive" and "distracting" sidewalk chalk...really.

Okay, I understand the messiness that it does cause BUT it does wash off......

This isn't spray paint, for gosh sakes! A cup of water and all the offensive and distracting 'sidewalk art' is gone!

"It's summertime and God forbid my daughter is drawing flowers, her name and hearts," said Sarah Cohen, the mom of a 3-year-old who loves to draw on the sidewalk. She says they moved there specifically because it was a family neighborhood.

No one has complained to her about her daughter's drawing so she has no plans to make her stop. Good for mom!

Really, if there are cases of real offensive drawings, try to find out who did it, don't punish all the kids

The HOA says because it is a shared space, anything that offends, disturbs or interferes with the peaceful enjoyment isn't allowed. Somehow, it's hard to believe that sidewalk chalk drawings interfere with anyone's peaceful enjoyment. The residents will have to wait until a new meeting of the HOA to find out if their kids are allowed to deface the courtyard anymore.

ews.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981

Okay, if it involves curse words or vulgar drawings, yeah I see a problem with that.

But if it's some kind of "Archie Bunker" type of person who doesn't like kids, well, that's a whole different story. Bah-hum bug......

I say let the parents of the kids doing the drawing be responsible for washing it off when they get done. But we don't need to take all the fun away from kids. It's only chalk after all.

What say you......

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
No chalk on the sidewalks/ Tell that to the Chalk Guy

As long as it is not profane I think it is okay, and even charmingly unique for a dull sidewalk. Heck if it is an issue, the parents can just wash it off daily, but for goodness sakes, let the child chalk.

Peace

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Just a case of some people have to be in charge. I had an association try to take me over but I was there first. they were rude and arrogant people who decided I needed to live like them. I never joined I was there first before the development was even thought of. Just a bunch of controlling losers that don't have a life and want to take yours away.Luckly the legal system seen it my way. Needless to say I have nothing good to say about them

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I could never understand why somebody would choose to live in an area with a HOA, POA, or anything of the sort. Conformity, compliance, those things are the enablers of tyrannical rule.

I have read various articles of HOA's/POA's harassing people and generally making life miserable for everybody who doesn't "fit the mold".

Is it worth the suppression of ones individualism to live in one of these disgustingly plain "cookie-cutter" communities? I use the term community loosely.

I'll take a rowdy neighbor that parties and listens to tejano till 4 am over the "Stepford wives" anyday.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

As long as it was something drawn by a child and not offensive, I think it makes for a happy neighborhood.
It shows happy children live there.
Now what do we consider offensive...that is the problem.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

According to the Mom, her daughter was drawing flowers and hearts. Not to mention trying to spell her name. You know, girly stuff....I saw her interview on CNN and when the camera panned down on the sidewalk, I didn't see anything offensive. Neither did the reporter.

That's what I hate about "suburbia" ........ there's always a spoil sport just around the corner.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412
reply to post by g146541

According to the Mom, her daughter was drawing flowers and hearts. Not to mention trying to spell her name. You know, girly stuff....I saw her interview on CNN and when the camera panned down on the sidewalk, I didn't see anything offensive. Neither did the reporter.

That's what I hate about "suburbia" ........ there's always a spoil sport just around the corner.

Was this childs name killalljews or killallmuslims?

I see nothing offensive with a name and flowers, ....
I think I would issue chalk buckets to all the block kids, as they have a way of spreading happy thoughts and truth where some adults cannot.
I know I am jaded by years, thank Goddess they are not.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

That's just it....a 3 year old is still "innocent".

They know no hate nor prejudice.

That's a good idea. Give all the kids on the block a box of chalk and dare Mr./Miss Scrooge to come forward and look like a prude !!!

Shame that when people get older, they forget what it was like to be young and have fun. Just because some one might be cynical and/or bitter about life, shouldn't mean that they can take it out on kids.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I hate sidewalk chalk myself and think it is tacky. I am also a parent who let my daughter use it in my MIL's cul-de-sac. I don't understand why people choose to buy houses in areas they KNOW others will be telling them what color blinds they are allowed to have.

That is why I would never choose that for my family. If I want a "Little Pink House" by God... I paid for it and I will paint it up to look like something out of a Dr. Suess book.

I hate these stories because they actually make me take the side of the HOA. When you buy in a place like this, you are fully aware of what you are getting. If you think you might have kids 5 years from now who want to use sidewalk chalk... DON'T BUY!! You can't just change the rules when it doesn't suit you anymore.

And darn them again for making me take the side of idiot, overbearing HOA's...

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Star to you for being aware!
Kids are the epitome of purity and innocence.
Folks who hate childrens chalk drawings really need to off themselves and hope for a better outlook on life the next time.

new topics

top topics

join