It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this glowing sphere in the pic?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
My friend took a picture of some clouds and then he noticed something in the picture that wasn't in the sky. He thinks it's a UFO. I think it's probably some type of lens anomaly. Anyone have any ideas?

edit on 12-6-2012 by againuntodust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
interesting and unknown

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust
My friend took a picture of some clouds and then he noticed something in the picture that wasn't in the sky. He thinks it's a UFO. I think it's probably some type of lens anomaly. Anyone have any ideas?

It's lens flare, internal reflections in the lens creating a secondary image of the light (im assuming you mean the small blob and not the sun)
edit on 12-6-2012 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

Either a lens flare or, since this picture was taken through a pane of glass, a reflection of a bright light from behind the camera.

If your friend had noticed the bright dot with his eyes before or after taking the picture, then i'd consider it an unidentified object. As it is, it looks like an optics artifact.

edit on 12/6/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Hoaxers gonna hoax.

You should make a video and put it on Youtube...it will fit in really well with all the other junk on there

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust

I don't know which light you referring to? But the bright light is most likely a sun glare. You can see the clouds around it lighten up. The small light is probably the moon.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Its perfectly round , with no glaring refraction as seen in the sun area.
It is actually kind of interesting as spots like this one are usually black , and closer to the sun.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Now that there is odd. Tell your friend I officially welcome him to world of disbelief and for their mystery to remain, well, a mystery.

My ex took a picture that is VERY similar to the orb here (www.abovetopsecret.com...).

A perfect, luminescent sphere where none should exist. This is classic UFO, and they are cursed to never know what excactly it was they took a picture of.

It is interesting this is the closest picture I have come across to the one in my thread. I am curious to know where was it taken? When?

Was there storm activity in the area? Won't give us any clear definition of the object, but maybe we can expose some dots that can be connected.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Yes, it's a lens flare.

One simple way to detect such flare anomalies is to draw two diagonal lines to determine the center of the photo, the flare is generally located at the opposite side of its source, through the central point, also called point reflection (or inversion through a point, or central inversion).

Similar samples:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

That's the most informative post I've seen on lens flares.

As someone who has personally witnessed two glowing orbs in the sky at close range, you've convinced me this is just a flare.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Wow, such a thorough examination and explanation.

It didn't look like the kinds of lens flares I'm used to seeing, but certainly not a UFO either. Nice job

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Shouldn't the green arrow that goes from the center of the sphere go to the center of the Sun? And wouldn't this line need to be symetrical, as in the examples?

It looks to me like the Sun is farther away from the center point than the anomoly.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErEhWoN

Shouldn't the green arrow that goes from the center of the sphere go to the center of the Sun? And wouldn't this line need to be symetrical, as in the examples?

It looks to me like the Sun is farther away from the center point than the anomoly.

The relative distances from the center of the photo are not relevant but the line should ideally pass through the center of both objects. The fact that it doesn't could be due to the setting of the lens being slightly out of "flat" to the plane of the film/CCD. While this would offset the optical center of the image to the physical center of the film/CCD, it would probably not be noticeable for photographic purposes and so is an acceptable manufacturing defect. In other words, a close approximate is good enough to show that this is most likely a lens flare.

join