It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia official: KKK won't be allowed to 'adopt' highway

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
So as many of you know the KKK is trying to adopt a 1 mile stretch of Georgia highway. I believe that they should fully be aload to as long as they actually keep it clean which is what they say they will do.

Keith Golden, commissioner for the state Department of Transportation, wrote the chapter's secretary that officials determined the mountain roadway, with a speed limit of 65 mph, was not a safe place for cleanup volunteers to work.

"Not a safe place for clean up volunteers to work". Im from MA and we always see convicts working on the sides of highways picking up trash, how is that any different?.

"We're not racists," Chambers said. "We just want to be with white people. If that's a crime, then I don't know. It's all right to be black and Latino and proud, but you can't be white and proud. I don't understand it."

"All we want to do is adopt a highway," Chambers said Monday. "We're not doing it for publicity. We're doing it to keep the mountains beautiful. People throwing trash out on the side of the road ... that ain't right."

Why do you think this is being shut down? Just because its the KKK? Now I understand what that organization does and what they have done in the past but cmon how could this be harmful, its not like there going to say ethnics can't drive down the road.

"Any civic-minded organization, business, individual, family, city, county, state or federal agency is welcome to volunteer in the Georgia Adopt-A-Highway program," the DOT website says.

"I don't see why we can't (adopt the stretch of highway)," she said. "Would it be any different if it was the Black Panthers or something? Someone always has some kind of race card."

This is a very true qoute. Do you think it would be a different story if it was the Black Panthers or the NAACP?

What does ATS think? Should they be aloud to adopt the stretch of highway or should they be sent packing?

www.cnn.com... t3

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by caf1550

As a Georgia citizen I'll tell you what I think. I think Georgia kept the lid on a big can of worms......

I know if I were from another state, and upon entering Georgia, saw a plaque on the side of the road stating this section of road was adopted by the KKK...well...I would feel uncomfortable. I would wonder about the sanity of a Southern State, that would allow such a thing.

Des

edit on 12-6-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
That'd be funny if there were a clean up the highway dedication with tribute to the KKK followed by the next mile's dedication sign attributed to the Black Panthers. Then the Aryan Nation, then the Zebra club. end of sarcasm. Have to go with Georgia on this one.
edit on 12-6-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Yeah, I'm going to pull a Michelle Obama and say "For the first time in my adult life, I'm really proud of ..." Georgia.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

"I don't see why we can't (adopt the stretch of highway)," she said. "Would it be any different if it was the Black Panthers or something? Someone always has some kind of race card."

Weren't the KKK integral in establishing the race card?

Not surprising that they mentioned Black Panthers in the same quote.. (not excusing that group by no means)

I am sure that the decision will be challenged, and a big stink will be made.. furthering attempts to drive a wedge between folks who are already struggling with surviving the economic situation created by those who would give a rats hind end for the folks...

I am not buying..

Don't fall for the plan... keep the focus on House, Senate and White House.. if you are fed up.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
All for keeping roads clean and can see some cars accidentally running in the ditch or off the road and taking out some white hoodies happening... does as Nazi skinhead or KKK member score more?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
This doesn't seem that new of a story. I think the KKK has actually won in court before on the right to "adopt a highway". I think it was in Georgia too. So instead of being given a quiet stretch of highway where no one really goes maybe they get one closer to town now. Like I said seems like I remember a case where the KKK sued and won on the right to participate in the "adopt a highway" program, from a decade or so ago.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jefwane
This doesn't seem that new of a story. I think the KKK has actually won in court before on the right to "adopt a highway". I think it was in Georgia too. So instead of being given a quiet stretch of highway where no one really goes maybe they get one closer to town now. Like I said seems like I remember a case where the KKK sued and won on the right to participate in the "adopt a highway" program, from a decade or so ago.

Could you please provide a source...I looked via google, could find nothing stating they had sued and won a previous case. I think that would have been mentioned in all the online stories on this issue.

TIA...Des

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Missouri lets KKK adopt a highway
www.democraticunderground.com
12 Jan 2005 - The court's rejection, made without comment, means that the KKK chapter must be allowed into Missouri's Adopt-A-Highway program, which is designed to save ...

Rosa Parks Highway

www.snopes.com...

Klan Booted From Highway Cleanup - ABC News
abcnews.go.com › US
31 Jan 2002 - A month after the U.S. Supreme Court said Missouri must allow the Ku Klux Klan to take part in an "Adopt-A-Highway" cleanup program, the state has kicked out ...
edit on 13-6-2012 by Physic because: (no reason given)

top topics

join