It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Fighter jets are on stand-by to reach Old Trafford in 20 minutes if terrorists mount an air attack during Olympic football matches, the M.E.N. can reveal. A two-mile no-fly zone will be enforced around the stadium as part of an unprecedented package of security measures. Armed and undercover police officers will be out in force, and all fans will be searched before being allowed to enter the ground. Military radar will be used to detect any breaches of the no-fly zone – with Eurofighter Typhoons on alert to intercept any planes that fail to comply. The eyes of the world will be on United's stadium during the games, with the football tournament kicking off two days before the official opening ceremony. Greater Manchester Police and the security services have been planning their Olympic operation for the past six months. A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence said there were no 'specific threats' against any of the venues being used for the Games, including Old Trafford. But he added: “MI5, MI6 and all the security services are working all the time to gather any intelligence relating to threats. “The no-fly zones are sensible precautions along with the enhanced addition of up to four typhoons at three bases across the country.” It is understood Eurofighters will be placed on stand-by at RAF bases in Northholt near London, Coningsby in Lincolnshire, and Leuchars in Scotland. MoD sources said it would take 20 minutes to scramble and fly one of the 1,550mph jets to Manchester. The no-fly zone will be in place during, before and after each of the Olympic football matches taking place at the stadium. The first game at Old Trafford takes place on July 26, the day before the official opening ceremony. The no-fly zone will be in place from 2pm to 10.45pm on that day. The zone will also be enforced on July 29 (9am-5.45pm), July 31 (2.15pm-8.15pm), August 1 (2pm-8pm), August 4 (9am-3pm), August 6 (4.45pm-10.45pm), and August 7 (5.45pm-10.45pm).
The main runway at Manchester Airport is to shut for four nights for repair work. Runway One will close from 10pm-6am for four nights from tonight to allow work on the taxiways near the runway to be carried out. Night-time take-offs and landings will be switched to Runway Two but passengers should not be affected. Airport chiefs admit the work may cause some disruption to neighbours because the flight path will temporarily alter – but say the work is essential. Planes are not normally allowed to land on the second runway between 10.30pm-6am but the airport has permission to use it for emergencies or maintenance. It will be carried out by the airport’s engineering teams and will include surveys as well as structural repairs. Although no work will take place on the runway itself, it will have to close for safety reasons because the engineers will need access to the main runway exits. The work could be postponed if there is bad weather or poor visibility but airport bosses have notified neighbours who could be affected by noise. Wendy Sinfield, the airport’s community relations manager, said: “We are aware that such works have the potential to cause disturbance to those living close to the airport site and have endeavoured to communicate with as many local residents as possible including those who have previously contacted us. “No work is taking place on the runway itself, but on areas of the runway strip and exits. “To ensure the safety of our passengers and those carrying out the works, the safest way to carry out the works is to close Runway One whilst they are underway and operate from Runway Two.” Last year, bosses completed a £20m refurbishment of Runway One – meaning it had to be closed at night for eight months. It was the biggest runway refurbishment since the airport opened in 1938. Read more at: menmedia.co.uk...
A Syrian rebel spokesman says they are no longer committed to Annan’s ceasefire. He has called for a UN-backed “peace enforcement mission” or a no-fly zone to replace the monitoring mission, demands the UN chief has rejected. On Friday, the rebel military council had given Syrian President Bashar al-Assad an ultimatum to end violence in the country or face armed reprisals. "We have decided to end our commitment to this [plan] and starting from that date [Friday] we began defending our people," rebel spokesman Major Sami al-Kurdi told Reuters news agency. Kurdi was hopeful the current UN-led observer mission to be transformed into “a peace enforcing mission,” with a no-fly zone and a buffer zone being implemented with a mind to toppling the current government.
Originally posted by la2
To me it seems like they have a credible threat that they cant prevent before it happens, all these measures seem to be damage limitation, never has Olympic security been this high.
A five-mile no-fly zone is to be in place around Manchester United’s Old Trafford grounds to protect Olympic footballers. Typhoon fighter jets will be on stand-by to reach the stadium within 20 minutes if terrorists mounted an air attack during part of the London 2012 Games taking place there. Armed and undercover police will also be in place to protect fans and competitors at Old Trafford which hosts its first Olympics game on July 26 a day before the opening ceremony. The MoD stressed there was no specific threat. “The no-fly zones are sensible precautions along with the enhanced addition of up to four Typhoons at three bases.i