It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten things you don’t know about the Earth

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by tyranny22

the ten things are at the link provided in the op

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The earth is cube shaped. The spin makes it appear like it's a ball...but it's not.
Also....explain to me if we all live on a round ball....and i'm on top of the ball, in the U.S.; and you're on the bottom of the ball, in China; how come you aren't upside down? lol

You know another cool thing about our planet? Earth has given us the ability to communicate on ATS, using a computer, that was manufactured from her. Crazy, right? Our technology didn't come from space, it came from earth. Our houses were made from earth. Our cars were made from earth. Heck, WE were made from earth. Pretty incredible planet.....DON'T CHA THINK?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Therefor we see that the changs of gravity on the earth isn't so much and causes in significent difference in thing's weight.

And, (don't laugh!!) but it's the same cause that explain why tall and big animals such as giraffa and elephant can only live in equatorial points of earth
Less gravity in there (little amount) than other places and their heart can send blood to farther distances from the surface of earth. So in practice we see that much little increase of gravity has noteworthy effect in animal bulk.

Dang if thats true then i am living at the equator. Mabey i will have less wrinkles and sagging .

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by tluna1

Could you please re-post your thoughts in English?

Thanks, in advance.......

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
just so people can dig....here they are...in order.

1) The Earth is smoother than a billiard ball.
2) The Earth is an oblate spheroid
3) The Earth isn’t an oblate spheroid.
4) OK, one more surfacey thing: the Earth is not exactly aligned with its geoid
5) Jumping into hole through the Earth is like orbiting it.
6) The Earth’s interior is hot due to impacts, shrinkage, sinkage, and radioactive decay.
7) The Earth has at least five natural moons. But not really.
8) The Earth is getting more massive.
9) Mt. Everest isn’t the biggest mountain.
10) Destroying the Earth is hard.

so now everyone is armed with the info....check it out

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by tluna1

well i guess those animals living in northern and southern zoos should all be dead.....logic

edit on 123030p://f44Wednesday by plube because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

What about the Marianas trench? Isn't that like 7 miles deep?

But I get what you are saying. I also heard that if you could stand on an electron, its orbit and the nucleus would be like the planets and the sun in the solar system. And the distance to the next atom would be as far as the distance to the next star.

As above, so below.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by plube

Ummm...

just so people can dig....here they are...in order.

1) The Earth is smoother than a billiard ball.
2) The Earth is an oblate spheroid
3) The Earth isn’t an oblate spheroid.
4) OK, one more surfacey thing: the Earth is not exactly aligned with its geoid
5) Jumping into hole through the Earth is like orbiting it.
6) The Earth’s interior is hot due to impacts, shrinkage, sinkage, and radioactive decay.
7) The Earth has at least five natural moons. But not really.
8) The Earth is getting more massive.
9) Mt. Everest isn’t the biggest mountain.
10) Destroying the Earth is hard.

#1 In terms of perspective, yes.

#2 Correct.

#3 Wrong (See #2)

#4 Only means that the planet, as a physical object, rotates in space. Its magnetic field, however, is NOT co-incident with the axis of physical rotation. ASK any pilot, or mariner, to explain that....OK?.

#5 "HUH"????

#6 The Earth's interior is HOT.....deal with it!!! And yes, it is due to the past.....

#7 "Five Natural Moons"? Oh, the concept of a few LaGrange objects....GOTCHA!

#8 Earth getting "more massive"? In terms of percentages....is like YOU adding about 0.0001 gram per day to your body mass....(and, I am exaggerating).

#9 Mt. Everest IS'NT the "biggest" mountain....unless you ONLY allow mountains that exist ABOVE Sea Level!!!

#10 "Destroying the Earth is Hard"....YES! It is!!

Unlike the silly science fiction mindsets that are so pervasive.....a planet just does not "blow up"!

Try to grasp real science, in order to better understand science fiction....it is a wonderful opportunity to grow, and expand one's knowledge as a result.....

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by tyranny22
I'd star and flag the post, but I'm waiting for the other 7 things I didn't know.

Any time frame on when they will be posted?

Hit the link found on the second line of the OP.

All ten of them are there.

Eleven explained that in the OP.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
It's nice to see a post that has actual facts. Let this be an inspiration to many at ATS

edit on 13-6-2012 by sheeplearepeople because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-6-2012 by sheeplearepeople because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Amazing! about scale, then, how small we humans must be compared to YV Canis Majoris, anyone want to do the math?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Great thread - Thoroughly enjoyed reading the full article

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Did i miss the other 7 or am i jumping to conclusions?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
For god's sake!! READ the OP and CLICK on the LINK. Dohhh!!

Rat

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by LastProphet527

Not only has it been explained in the OP to visit the link for the other facts, but its been said a few times in the thread already from other non-readers... Anyway, you cant just copy/paste an entire website article on ATS, it's not fair to the original author, or to ATS's reputation. You are limited to a few paragraph quotes and must link to the source then elaborate a bit in your own words or/and adding further research etc. Just visit the link EA gave, it really is worth a few minutes of your time.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Ratman

You beat me to it by 1 minute! Obviously as frustrated as me!

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by plube

Not necessarily that they should all be dead, but that the length that they live is shortened by habitats that put unneeded stress on them. Probably accounts for some of the length of life loss due to captivity.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

Yes indeed!

It came out as a bit of rant! Sorry about that. Your post was more rational....

Rat

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
As for the 20-40 tons a day weightgain ,wouldnt the amount of material thats removed and converted into ejected or burnt material counter the obesity. Like satellites,explosives,burning wood and coal etc.
Not that it matters anyway as the earth just a great place to be no matter how fat and smooth she gets
edit on 13-6-2012 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

Humans only put a few tons worth of satellites into space every year and most of those will, eventually, fall back to Earth and burn up, returning the matter to terra firma. A few objects we've put out there into the Solar System will never come back, but all of those amount to just a few tons worth of material in the whole 50+ year history of the Space Age.

All of the stuff we burn, all of the smoke material that gets released, goes into the atmosphere but eventually comes back down. Either it just settles back or rain will eventually wash it back down to Earth.

Only a few pounds of matter at most has ever been lost (converted to pure energy) due to nuclear fission and fusion explosions, again not significant in terms of the total mass of the Earth. For example, of the 14 lbs. of plutonium in the "Fat Man" bomb dropped on Nagasaki, only about 0.035 oz of material was actually converted into pure energy (enough to create a 21 kiloton explosion). Nuclear explosions are pretty inefficient compared to, say, a mattter/anti-matter reaction which converts 100% of matter to energy.
edit on 6/13/2012 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

you listed the 3 mildly interesting facts available.. the rest on there are boring as sh#

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join