It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia offers NZ soldiers $250k to swap armies

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by Germanicus

Thats the thing, if it is Special Forces then you are actually saving yourselves a huge amount of cash with each soldier recruited. UK / Australia / New Zealand use SAS forces - training, if not exactly the same, is extremely similar (hence all the missions they undertake together, complete with interchanging). In the UK in the early 1990's it cost just over £1 million per Special Forces soldier training. I imagine, therefore, this is similar "down under". That saving could be passed onto better shark nets for the tourist beaches!

I guess. But they are not Australian. I do not want them here. The people that defend our shores should be Australians, not mercs.

It shows what the military has become.

Once you joined the military to defend your country. That was the reason. That was how you justified killing. It was ok because you were defending your country.

All this terror bs has made soldiers mercs in a sense. Its not good.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   

I get your point but mercs have been around for ever. Even the Pharoahs employed mercs to fight their wars for them (ie using the Greeks in what became the Holy Land). Look at the Gurkha Regiments in the British Army - may be a bit harsh calling them mercs but it is a similar principle.......

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

I get your point but mercs have been around for ever. Even the Pharoahs employed mercs to fight their wars for them (ie using the Greeks in what became the Holy Land). Look at the Gurkha Regiments in the British Army - may be a bit harsh calling them mercs but it is a similar principle.......

Yeah. I actually like how there was a period where it was common in Europe to save cash by not having a standing army and just pay mercs when needed. It didnt work out though because the mercs could not be trusted and they started inventing phantom threats so that they were needed
The Carthaginians didnt have much luck with mercs either.

They seem like a good idea in many ways, but in my opinion they are inferior to a national force. I would prefer lesser trained Aussie soldiers defending our shores than highly trained mercs.

It is also cowardly in a sense. Makes Australia look like a bunch of cowardly merchant Carthaginians or something.

I consider this to be a massive insult to Australian culture and Australian pride. I honestly find it sickening the more I think about it. Our government should be ashamed.
edit on 13-6-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I think Australians and New Zealanders can join the British army too, but I could be wrong, anyway with all the UK defence cuts Australia could recruit all the soldiers being dumped over here :-)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus

The United States.

The United States have brought their wars to the West.

WW3 will likely see Australia attacked by our good friends China because the deadbeat, loser American government cant pay its bills.

Thanks America

edit- Maybe you Americans should start telling your loser of a government that there is no problem in the pacific. The United States is the problem. Do you people realy want war because you refuse to pay your bills and live within your means? If you think you can fight a war with China from the safety of across the other side of the world as usual, think again. China will attack you too. Count on it.

Pay your damn bills!

edit on 12-6-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

What the hell are you going on about?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

I wouldn't be too worried about China attacking the US without prior serious provocation or a clear act of war on part of the States. China is dealing with so many internal problems that it would be foolish for them to attack the west without due cause. It would not be good for them if they attack without such a cause, as the UN and NATO still have teeth, and then they wouldn't be dealing with just the States, they would then have to deal with pretty much the rest of the Western world at that point. Now, I don't know about you, and I'm not what you would call a fear-monger, but if the States pushes China into a corner and they lash back, given that they are "allied" with Russia, Iran, Pakistan and North Korea, while we still have NATO and the UN kickin around, it doesn't take a stretch of the imagination to see that it would be the start of a third world war.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

The United States.

WW3 will likely see Australia attacked by our good friends China because the deadbeat, loser American government cant pay its bills.

Thanks America

edit- Maybe you Americans should start telling your loser of a government that there is no problem in the pacific. The United States is the problem. Do you people realy want war because you refuse to pay your bills and live within your means? If you think you can fight a war with China from the safety of across the other side of the world as usual, think again. China will attack you too. Count on it.

Pay your damn bills!

Indeed.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
A quick overview of the immediate claims just in the South China Sea.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I blame human psychology. People need money nowadays to survive. Oh yea, Let’s blame the USA for that. While we’re at it, let’s blame them for the reason that the sky is blue.

Give me a break.

Yep, all us folk in the US are bad people. Please NUKE us to put us out of your misery. That’ll work? Won’t it?

Not like you won’t suffer the retaliatory strikes now will ya?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by quedup

You got it in one!!!!!

The guy missed the target by a mile!

The problem is that he always blames others without taking any responsibility himself.
edit on 13-6-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
This post is losing it's way! It's turning into a pissing contest between Australians and Americans.You are humans before you are Australians or Americans and most of you are just civilians,so your bravado is crap.Knock your bickering on the head and come together for once in your adult lives.The promblem lies with our leaders not either of us.We are all facing down a barrel right now so wake up!
The opening post is a interesting and valid one,so stay focused and ask the obvious questions,why?There is good information here for you to join the dots.Since this post was started,the head of N.A.T.O has arrived in Australia.You need to ask yourself why? Another piece of the puzzle and a very important one.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
It could be some build up or them preparing themselves, but I doubt it.

Australia is always offering work to foreign citizen’s, you can't open a paper in Britain without seeing advertisements offering work and relocation to Australia for skilled workers engineers, doctors etc.

Also as people have mentioned other countries do the same (well not the $250k part)

It can work out cheaper and quicker hiring fully trained, skilled workers and every penny/cent seems to count at the moment.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

Originally posted by Ben81
UK ? because of the queen

Nothing to do with the Queen.

It's a common misconception that she's important to the British empire, she's pretty much a tourist attraction.

The whole royal family thing is pointless.

But at least it isn't as expensive and divisive as a presidency!

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRemorse762

It's not BS because the Australian military do a fair amount of training with your boys and your average American private soldier are not well desciplined and can barely keep up with our ANZACs. Go ask any Aussie soldier and he'll tell you!

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Our soldiers are looked after very well over here. Unlike in the USA, it is not an easy task getting any job in the military here and the money plus the benefits are vey good.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

The United States.

Thanks America

Pay your damn bills!

Indeed.

It basically sounds like an OWS protester who is angry about being broke, and instead of the reality that not everyone can be a "have", they demand that they "haves" give over part of what they have already earned.

You cannot blame the wealthy for all your problems. And if you do, remember that most of us American's are far from wealthy, we don't over extend our credit, and we pay our bills. That is, until places like Europe fall apart and begin to default, causing variable interest rates to skyrocket and push people out of being able to afford their once affordable home.

But, conversely, you could just scream at people who are not as bad off as you and blame them. While you are at it, grab a torch and pitchfork.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by alien
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Can you imagine the kinds of side-deals and trades that must be going on between NZ and Aussie:

"I'll trade you Willie Apiata for a 20% increase in our meat export quotas"
"Throw in the rights to brew Tui and you've got a deal"
"Done"
"Wait...actually...you give us Willie Apiata and take back those GC idiots, and you can have a 25% increase AND keep your Tui rights"
"Ummm...can we get back to you on that? We're pretty stoked those idiots off The GC are over on the GC and not back here..."

ROTFLMFAO

That there sir is golden

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

It basically sounds like an OWS protester who is angry about being broke, and instead of the reality that not everyone can be a "have", they demand that they "haves" give over part of what they have already earned. You cannot blame the wealthy for all your problems. And if you do, remember that most of us American's are far from wealthy, we don't over extend our credit, and we pay our bills. That is, until places like Europe fall apart and begin to default, causing variable interest rates to skyrocket and push people out of being able to afford their once affordable home. But, conversely, you could just scream at people who are not as bad off as you and blame them. While you are at it, grab a torch and pitchfork.

And you ask me what the hell I am talking about?
OWS

The topic is the Australian Government paying Mercs because the United States is pushing its big nose in where it does not belong. What it gods name does that have to do with anything you have said.

The United States already has a pitchfork sticking out of it. And your Banks and your country causing the GFC has caused the economic problems in Europe not to mention the imperial scams that your Banks run.

China is going to unseat the US dollar as the Reserve very soon. America is doomed. This is clear. Your Government is incompetent and criminal. Your public is passive and for the most part, lobotomized. Why in gods name do you not have a viable third party option when your country is such a mess and the Rs and Ds are the same? Why? You have a responsibility. Your public is selfish. Your Imperial Government is a mafia. If you think they are bad to you, then you should look into how they treat the rest of the world. And we cant vote in your Imperial elections.
You think this is fair?

To the Honourable The Speaker and Members of the House of Representatives This petition of concerned citizens draws to the attention of the House: The Australian government is negotiating a Trans-Pacific Partnership free trade agreement (TPPA) with the US, New Zealand, Chile, Peru, Brunei, Singapore, Malaysia and Vietnam. But the agenda is being set by giant US corporations. They see many Australian health, social, cultural and environmental policies are barriers to trade which should be removed. They want to use the negotiations to undermine the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme and charge higher prices for medicines, to give special rights for corporations to sue governments, to remove labelling of genetically modified food, to undermine local jobs and fair employment conditions for government contracts, and to weaken policies for Australian content in film, television and digital media. They also oppose including enforceable labour rights and environmental protections in the agreement.

parlinfo.aph.gov.au...;page=0;query=TPPA;rec=0;resCount=Default

And you wonder why anyone with half a brain hates the United States Government? America claim to be friends of Australia. The American Government not the friend of anyone but Israel. The American Government is a bully. All of your allies politicians are afraid to speak out against your government because to do so is a political no no. If a nation does not follow your Governments orders there are consequenses.

China is Australias future. They are the reason we are the number 1ranked OECD nation. China is the reason we have a booming economy.

What does the United States do? Look above. They bully us and hurt our economy. They try to destroy our economy and americanize it. Remove our protections and expose us to your army of multinational corporations.This is all you ever do. Messed up stuff like that.
And now you risk our friendship China. Our future is with China, not your loser of a bankrupt incompetent government. And you make us a target by annoying China in the asia pacific. Go home imperialists.

And what the hell I am talking about is that Australia must end its counter productive alliance with America. It is moronic to stick with you guys. All you offer is doom. Have a look at the state of your country. It is doomed. There is no need for us to go down with the ship.

Wake up to yourself. Your Government is a monster. The American public has a responsibilty to keep it in check if you want to remain on top. You didnt and now it cant be fixed. Its too late. You are doomed. I know you cant comprehend a world that exists with the United States on top but its closer than you think. I also know you will not listen to me because from your comments I sense that you are a lost cause. You will sprint into that BRICS wall wont you? If you people would actually acknowledge your monster of a government for what it is, you would have a shot at fixing it. But you wont so you are doomed. We need to jump ship. Fast.
edit on 13-6-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

I bring up OWS because of your proclamation that it is us fat cat Americans not paying our bills.

You DO realize that US banks are really Earth banks, right? We are over the same barrell you are. Pointing fingers and decrying an entire nation of 300mil is not just unproductive, but counterproductive.

You seem to have a grasp on what is going on. Pay attention to that, and quit blaming "America". If you think that you can pin the entire worlds problems on our financial hiccup, you are mistaken. Yes, our politicians may have helped rape us, and it may have been the GFC tipping point. But there are other things like the welfare Europe that have had its own effect. It seems like the whole world was willing to put their economies teetering on the edge, and then depended on the US to keep it propped up. Now that we can't do that, it is our fault?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join