It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why America IS better than the UK

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
What if I told you redcoats that regardless of my post, I still am glad that those of you who can take the heat I respect
(What the hell, even those of you who didn't)
edit on 12-6-2012 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Have to say... I have always fancied living in small town America.. Like in Maine.. And have one of those nice white wooden houses... Like Stars-Hollow on the Gilmore Girls... (Yes... Im STILL pissed at Lorelai after all these years! Slut!)

And then make use of my accent on the women like the last time I was there... Trust me.. It works!

edit on 12-6-2012 by EvanB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

Yes...accents are killer.

The first time I heard a Scott's burr, I almost swooned.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB
Have to say... I have always fancied living in small town America.. Like in Maine.. And have one of those nice white wooden houses...

And then make use of my accent on the women like the last time I was there... Trust me.. It works!

'ow do you fink oi lured my american wife?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong
reply to post by paganini
[more

I wasn't going to reply to your tripe. However

Please tell me who is making a claim for the UK Mainland? No one that i am aware of, unlike The Native American Indians in your own stolen country.

Many of the Scots Welsh and Cornish would like to be separate if it was a realistic possibility . There is a considerable deal of resentment given England's past actions to the Gaelic speaking peoples and given that many of them still occurred with in living memory many arent' going to be quick to forget.

As i said before learn your history you are not a "native" people so playing up that angle will not work.

Originally posted by alldaylongSo you want me to take blame for what The British did centuries ago? I take it you will be saying that to any young Germans. They should take the blame for Hitler and his Nazi henchmen.

Pathetic.

If you were even remotely literate you would see that I'm clearly saying no one should be held responsible for the past actions of a country. The present should not inherit guilt or responsibility due to the past and the individual is only responsible for their actions.

That in turn means you cant get your knickers in a twist and do this with another nation because the same accusations could be easily placed at you if one wanted to adopt the same ludicrous thought process you have.

Do i need to make myself clearer or is it sinking in?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
Well, we in the UK have far better beer and pubs.
We have an ability to laugh in any given situation and at ourselves and others.
We play far better sports, have a much better appreciation of style, class, fashion, culture and music.
And we have have proper bacon and Sunday dinners.
We also have free health care.

However, our education system is a joke, the weather is crap and our politicians are a disgrace.

I dare say there is much to like about the USA.
Certainly the vast majority of Americans I have met or interacted with are decent, good people.
Sure some of them are arse holes but I can't count the number of Brits I've met over the years who are complete and utter tossers.

I'd love to one day spend some time in The States, and not just in the tourist places and big cities, and witness the USA first hand and experience some of that well known hospitality.

Personally invited to NC. We're a laid back bunch with great barbecue and the beautiful Smoky Mountains. The town I live in doesn't even have a full grocery store. Can't get much smaller than that!

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

When I get back, you will have a personal invite.

And I would try my best to take you up on such an invite.

I just can't stand the fact that I can't smoke in the pubs anymore.

I hated the smoking ban here at first but don't really mind it now - some of the best craic goes on in the smoking areas now.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
WOW, I just finished reading this thread to this point(save the posts made while writing this one). It amazes me to see how far the People of this World have come to unity. I used to think we were never going to become united as a People and low and behold here it is. This thread proves me wrong the World and its People are united. Unfortunately we are united in the hatred and disgust of each other.

I feel I have a unique perspective in that I was born in the United States, grew up in England, Germany, Austria, Bavaria, Spain, Italy, and France with a period back in the U.S. between England and Germany. I came back to the U.S. to complete High School.

There is absolutely no difference between the People of this World regardless of the Country of origin. There are People of the same beliefs be it peace loving hippies(no offense) to super patriots. There are haters and lovers everywhere. The only difference are the Governments, Religions, and Leaders.

It has always been the Governments, Religions and Leaders of the World that make the rules for the imaginary boarders placed on a piece of paper and called a map. It is the varied rules and regulations placed on the People of specific locations all over this globe. It is the Governments, Religions, and Leaders that have caused war and conflict. It is them that pushed in and took over other areas surrounded by imaginary lines on the map. The People? All People want to be happy and live their life with family and friends although some would like to live on their own away from all the conflict.

We People are all the same regardless of the location we live in. Yes, throughout history our cultures, our beliefs, our customs, etc., have separated us but this is constant throughout the Globe. No one is better than any other, from the neighbor next door to the the Country on the other side of the planet, from the colors of our skin to the Religious beliefs we hold, even what gender we are. We are People and the value needs to be redirected from possessions be it money, land, or objects and placed on Life itself.

This constant bickering between "mine is better than yours" is not only redundant but getting really old. Every Person, Country, Religion, Culture, has done negative things as well as positive things. Not one is better than another when Life is valued. We as a Global community need to grow up and unite in a way that Human kind can all benefit by putting Life as its most valued commodity. This begins with People stopping the pushing of their beliefs on others and respecting the differences we have as People.
edit on 12-6-2012 by Agarta because: Fixed capitalization mistakes.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
reply to post by EvanB

Yes...accents are killer.

The first time I heard a Scott's burr, I almost swooned.

You obviously didn't speak to someone from Glasgow... You have to be very drunk first before you get one syllable!..

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Looks like your getting some invites.

But if you ever want to see Montana, let me know.

edit on 12-6-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Epic fail. I am SCOTTISH and there is no way i want Scotland to be independent

You miss the arguement completly don't you. Americans RIGHT NOW are living on land that is being claimed by The Native American Tribes. I am not talking about people from generations gone by. You are living on this land TODAY.
So i take it from your argument you don't wish to take any responsibility for what you are doing. Would you like it if you got home and someone had moved into your house? You just don't get it do you? You are a Yank so what else should i expect.

So i will ask you once again, who is making a claim for the land i live on?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I was EXTRA English I tell ya mate!

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I appreciate them all and will bear them in mind.

Hopefully I'll be able to take some members up on their kind offers in the not too distant future.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I see that a lot from British members. They want us to take responsibility but they don't have to take responsibility for their past actions.. hypocritical nonsense.

ETA: I might not be liked very much for creating this thread, but at least I don't HATE the British.. just pointing out differences with a mix of rivalry. Seems as though 9 out of 10 members from UK on here just hate people from America. Every British person I have came in contact with has been very good experience, except for people on ATS.
edit on 12-6-2012 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong

Epic fail. I am SCOTTISH and there is no way i want Scotland to be independent

i said SOME ffs man can you read? lol

Fine then as a Scotsman you are descended from Irish pirates who invaded and slaughtered the native Picts

Originally posted by alldaylongYou miss the arguement completly don't you. Americans RIGHT NOW are living on land that is being claimed by The Native American Tribes. I am not talking about people from generations gone by. You are living on this land TODAY

and RIGHT NOW you are living on land that your ancestors invaded and took from a native people. When are you going to pack up back to Ireland and to amends ?

Originally posted by alldaylongSo i take it from your argument you don't wish to take any responsibility for what you are doing.

I was born here therefore i am a native and it is my land and my property belongs to ME. The same applies to any other American who fits this description . There is not such thing as a technical natives or "real natives". I was merely entertaining this outlook to point out how flawed your statements were..

Originally posted by alldaylongWould you like it if you got home and someone had moved into your house? You just don't get it do you?

No one has claimed my house as their land and seeing as how the UN doesnt speak for the native tribes that makes your point moot.

Originally posted by alldaylongYou are a Yank so what else should i expect.

oooh low blow low blow.
edit on 12-6-2012 by paganini because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-6-2012 by paganini because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by 31Bravo

Dude give up.... Note how everything has turned to light hearted banter and even invites to peoples homes!

Epic fail dude..

We are family.. We may squabble every now and then but we love each other really..

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB
reply to post by 31Bravo

Dude give up.... Note how everything has turned to light hearted banter and even invites to peoples homes!

Epic fail dude..

We are family.. We may squabble every now and then but we love each other really..
I agree
believe it or not this thread was meant as a jab to the side.. it was all meant in good fun but I guess it came out wrong. I have no problem with most on here except for a few.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by 31Bravo

This has been a fun thread.

Invites to the states.

Common goals and dreams.

Even a babe swooning over the accents.

Sometimes people just need to be people.
Friends, enemies.

I'm an old cold warrior. Yet I raise a glass or two with some russians I've met here in Germany that; a few years ago, were my enemies.

We now laugh.

I'd like to offer a personal invite to the OP.

We can pub crawl and enjoy the crowds. (I'm a Londoner)

It's all good.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by 31Bravo

I think most of the UK members in this thread have been reasonably ok.....seems to me that far too many people take themselves far too seriously and view any sort of criticism of an aspect of their country as a direct attack on the whole of their nation.

ETA.

And that's not a pop at anyone in particular.
edit on 12/6/12 by Freeborn because: Add ETA and clarity

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
No hate meant but... Whenever Im playing Xbox live and my ears are assaulted by these thick British accents, I wanna burst my own eardrums.
Its like nails on a chalkboard

However, I also hear the same thing about my Texas accent lol

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join