It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 uses for paracord, right up there with duck tape!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
OOPS, wrong forum, please move to survival

see www.truthistreason.net...

No fashion accessory says “prepper” more than a paracord bracelet. With that around your wrist, you have at least 10 feet of 550 pound test rope. The cord is made of many tiny strands and can also be unravelled if a thinner cord is necessary. It is a must-have for your bugout bag.

Paracord, according to Wikipedia, is a “light weight nylon kernmantle rope originally used in the suspension lines of US parachute during World War II. Once in the field, paratroopers found this cord useful for many other tasks. It is now used as a general purpose utility cord by both military personnel and civilians.” Sometimes referred to as “550 cord,” it is generally recognized as having a 550 lb. tensile strength rating.

The question isn’t “What can you do with paracord?” It’s “What can’t you do with paracord?”

Braid your own, any length, see link for utube video link.

You’re really only limited by your own creativity. Speaking of creativity, paracord bracelets can be ordered from Amazon, but it’s simple and fun to make your own. This video shows you how to tie the cobra knot to create your own bracelet. Once you’ve mastered the basic knot, there’s no need to stop with bracelets: you can create belts, hatbands or key fobs to be sure that you always have this vital survival element close at hand!

edit on 12-6-2012 by oghamxx because: oops wrong forum! please move to survival

edit on 12-6-2012 by oghamxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
My sling for one of my ARs is made from paracord. Over 80 feet of cord braided to about 4 feet long, and its still adjustable.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Ive got two 1000 ' spools ready for'deployment, used it for everything while in the Corps... always kept a couple hundredfeet of it in my pack.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Paracord - another of God's gifts to the avid outdoorsman and prepper!

The strength to weight ratio is AMAZING! If you don't already have this in your BOB or survival stash, you NEED to make this your very next purchase.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I too made a sling for my shotgun.

I have also been known to make shoelaces with it.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Yes, shoelaces are easy to make and work better than any alternative

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SUICIDEHK45
reply to post by Skewed

Yes, shoelaces are easy to make and work better than any alternative

And last forever! Resists abrasions that break normal laces. Also resist soaking which rots other laces.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Yes, I use them in my boots, and sparks from welding and torching doesn't cut them, it just melts closed and lasts forever. Normal laces wear out in a couple weeks from that, and I usually get around a year from a pair of 550 laces.

One time my hood latch on my jeep broke, and i tied the hood down for 330 miles with my shoelace. After I got the latch fixed I continued to use the cord in my boots for about 3 more months even though it was worn pretty good from rubbing on the sheet steel of the fender.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
550 cord is so handy. One of the knives I keep in my BOB is a simple tanto with a cord handle. Also always keep a small spool in there. There are so many uses it is a must have in any bag.

One word to the wise. There are several cheap ones out there that advertise as para cord but have no where near the strength. Make sure you check the rating on it before you buy it.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by David134

Yes, good point. Some claiming to be, aren't rot resistant as well.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Paracord, is only really useful for being one thing, a cord, you can't really change its purpose, apart from maybe jewelry (there being maybe because jewelry is supposed to look pretty a paracord bracelet looks like what it is, it doesn't look pretty),
Unless you can think of uses outside the original being used as rope/cord/string, doesn't matter what you're using it for, shoe laces, fastening a parcel, dog leash, its not changed its use. Look at it this way, if you are replacing any other rope for its use, then its not really useful.

Duck tape differs from this being that you can turn it into a crude rope/cord/string and do all the things you would for paracord (you'd have to use more to increase tensile strength). As well as jewelry, wallets, a mat/carpet, a boat (see mythbusters) etc...

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
My favorite use for paracord, besides the bracelets I make and sell as a small side business, is to make monkey fist key chains with a 3/4" steel ball bearing in the center. They make one hell of an improvise striking weapon if the need ever arises. One whack to the head with one of those, and any would be attacker is going to be wishing they had minded their own business. :-)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
The article lists some interesting and creative ways to store extra p-cord until you might need it, for sure. Gives me some ideas other than stuffed in the pack and wrapped around the water bottle.

join