It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian Aircraft Carrier enters sea trials

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
reply to post by schuyler

If I wanted to use profanity there are several other words that i could have chosen. My statement was an expression of disbelief in his statements about the capabilities of the Chinese missile.

So the following is not your post then?

Originally posted by JIMC5499

Originally posted by asen_y2k
reply to post by JIMC5499

The Indian bramos, yes, the Chinese DF21 just satellites overhead will do the job.

Bullsh*t!

Originally posted by hp1229

Originally posted by Grifter81
reply to post by Zaphod58

And we are still handing them aid money every year....... Why???????

Just the same way you are taking care sorta as a welfare of the 'queen' via a percentage of every pound earned

What has she done for the country lately?

Attracted a whole lot of tourists. Without tourism the UK would be in a much more sorry state than it is.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
Attracted a whole lot of tourists. Without tourism the UK would be in a much more sorry state than it is.

Thats fine. It does generate tourism revenue for UK. But that does not justify the cost for every UK citizen to cough up 60 p per pound for her.

UK Tourism
Cost of Queen

edit on 13-6-2012 by hp1229 because: edit grammer

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grifter81

Ark Royal has been decommissioned so the UK sadly has no carrier strike force until the first of the two new Queen Elisabeth class carriers is ready in 2020.
edit on 13/6/2012 by Grifter81 because: (no reason given)

Get rid of the dead Monarchy and stop paying for her luxuries and UK shall have more carriers before 2020

edit on 13-6-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

The queen has a job to do. People don't realise she's an intrinsic part of the political system in this country, she still has the Royal Prerogative giving her executive power over government and is commander in chief of the armed forces.

We may never see her use these powers but the fact is she has reigned for 60 years and has played a part in government all that time. Effectively she's the most experienced politician we have.

I was digging earlier and the first new carrier will be ready around 2015/16 so not long to wait

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Thats fine. It does generate tourism revenue for UK. But that does not justify the cost for every UK citizen to cough up 60 p per pound for her.

UK Tourism
Cost of Queen

"60 p per pound"?? No, it's 60p per YEAR. So we're talking less than a dollar a year. The articles you cite are seething with resentment and bias. Read all the way down and there is a contrary opinion.

Now just to make sure we're on topic, here's an article on the need for carriers which makes the argument that the UK doesn't need them. It corroborates some of the numbers I put up above and also says, like much of the rest of the world, that the UK doesn't need carriers because the US will do what needs to be done for them.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Well good for the queen

Back to the topic, US can provide the services to UK as deem fit. Who will provide such services to India?
Clearly they need to strengthen their naval power in the region. Its all about deterrence with the rise of the Chinese activities in the SE Asian region.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Well good for the queen

Back to the topic, US can provide the services to UK as deem fit. Who will provide such services to India?
Clearly they need to strengthen their naval power in the region. Its all about deterrence with the rise of the Chinese activities in the SE Asian region.

That is it, they been quiet for many years, now the Chinese are up and arms(to a point where USA can't just ignore), which would make India take up the arms as well. If no weapon or defense, then India is just sitting their for the taking.

Having half the countries with shores.. Sea def such as this Carrier would definitely be an asset for the SouthEastAsian defense.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Its a start since the number of carriers are about the same for India and China. I hope the GOI learnt their lesson in dealing with the russians on the cost of this particular vessel as per what was agreed upon and its final cost
The only problem I see here is the ability to manufacture indigenous vessel (Aircraft Carrier) which the Chinese might win that race given their 'copy n paste' proficiency

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by KnawLick

The importance of the carriers had been known long before the US entered the war with Japan. If you like conspiracies, you can even take the one that points out clearly that of all naval vessels that Japan hit in Pearl-harbor none was a carrier (and investigate why that was so).
edit on 13-6-2012 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

We are already building the vessel in Cochin Harbor, A Brand new Vikrant class Aircraft carrier . The race has not been won yet. Even otherwise .. India has 50 years experience in operating carriers and also been doing Carrier fleet operations with the USN which i believe has given Indian navy some vital experience the Chinese wouldn't get,,,

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join