It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago: Disabled girl, 16, found starved down to 23 pounds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

A 16-year-old girl with cerebral palsy weighed only 23lbs and could not walk or talk when she was removed from her family home after being starved by her mother.

Darlene Armstrong measured just 3’10’’ tall when she was rushed to hospital in Chicago in March.
The severely disabled girl could have been rescued four months earlier if the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) had followed set procedures, an investigation by the Chicago Tribune revealed.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

You hear about this often enough. Remember that girl who was kept in a shed in the back for 20 years, the Duggard lady, because the Family Services didn't check him out properly even after reports of kids living in the back.

So disgusting she only got 18 months, but no past criminal record and the cost of housing a criminal...
They decided classes were enough. You need a damn certificate and training to pick up trash but you can have as many kids as you want, as your right.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
This makes me extremely angry, sad, disgusted.
How could someone treat a handicapped person like this? I hope the mother rots in a prison cell for the rest of her life for this. The mother is the furthest thing from a human being as possible. This poor girl.
I'd also like to know who dropped the ball. They should be immediately fired and charged as an accomplice.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
absolutely tragic. my heart goes out to the poor girl. who knows how many thousands more like her are currently languishing behind closed doors somewhere, unnoticed by neighbours and as yet unseen by the social services? how can people neglect their own so thoroughly?

link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
I hope the mother rots in a prison cell for the rest of her life for this.

Did you read the article? She's only getting 18 months probation.

link   
God reserves a special place for people like this child's mother... it is called HELL!!!

As I age and become wiser, I better understand how a loving God can be so vengeful as to allow for Hell and why He would damn souls there for all of eternity.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

As I sat and read this true story....my eyes welled up with tears. My heart goes out to that innocent 16 year old girl. I pray for her recovery and that she will be cared for - for the remainder of her life in a safe, healthy, healing environment.

The mother only got 18 months of probation and has to take parenting classes....I am appalled at this sentencing. To me (someone who starved their own disabled child...etc.) should be punished more than that.

What do you all think... would be a just punishment for the mother?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

As I sat and read this true story....my eyes welled up with tears. My heart goes out to that innocent 16 year old girl. I pray for her recovery and that she will be cared for - for the remainder of her life in a safe, healthy, healing environment.

The mother only got 18 months of probation and has to take parenting classes....I am appalled at this sentencing. To me (someone who starved their own disabled child...etc.) should be punished more than that.

What do you all think... would be a just punishment for the mother?

I'm at work, so I couldn't give into emotions..............

Starve the mother to 100lbs.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
You'd get a harsher fine for chaining a dog to a tree and starving the poor thing. I can't believe she got off scott free for 16 years of extreme abuse to her own child. If it were me doling out punishment, she'd spend 16 years in jail on minimal food to keep her alive....just like her own child.

God bless this poor Girl, Prayers for a peaceful journey through life from now on.

Des

edit on 12-6-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

How could someone treat a handicapped person like this? I hope the mother rots in a prison cell for the rest of her life for this. The mother is the furthest thing from a human being as possible. This poor girl.
I'd also like to know who dropped the ball. They should be immediately fired and charged as an accomplice.

yup...let's cut back on all the govmint workers, this is just big govmint wasting our tax dollars...where is our FREEDOM AND LIBERTY!! PEOPLE SHOULD BE LEFT ALONE!! (sarcasm)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Obviously, those government workers, ONCE AGAIN, failed to do their job. You like that though, more people voting for their checks, bleeding dry those who actually work and produce.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

This is unacceptable. Whoever has done this should be tried, convicted and executed by hanging at 9 am the next morning. Only a monster could do something like this and they should pay for it.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

reply to post by jimmyx

Obviously, those government workers, ONCE AGAIN, failed to do their job. You like that though, more people voting for their checks, bleeding dry those who actually work and produce.

failed to do their job?...really? have you once heard their side of it?...maybe they reported it, but higher ups did nothing about it...maybe their caseload tripled due to layoffs and they were unable to check back quick enough, maybe they were in court testifying in scores of other cases more serious... and what is this about "those who actually work and produce"?? these people don't work? or produce? and you have evidence of this? please tell me that you have some sort of crictical-thinking skills, because what comes out of your mouth disproves that notion.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This is disgusting. How can people do this to their own children!? As a mother of a disabled child it just hits that much more close to home. For her to only get 18 months for such a horrible crime just shows the madness that is our justice system throughout this screwed up world.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
God reserves a special place for people like this child's mother... it is called HELL!!!

As I age and become wiser, I better understand how a loving God can be so vengeful as to allow for Hell and why He would damn souls there for all of eternity.

God doesn't exist. So it's up to us.

These creatures don't realise the truth... we're not trapped in their world.. They are trapped in ours.

May mankind have mercy on her, because it's likely she'll get shivved before she's free -- at least if I had my way.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Why did God let it happen.in the first place!

In this case Im going to say that the mother should be charged under Sharia Law. Think she might get something more than a pathetic 18 month probation.

Cant comment on the American social services but we have cases like thisin the UK as well and I cant help but wonder where the blame lies that this has been allowed to happen. Government or society?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
failed to do their job?...really? have you once heard their side of it?...maybe they reported it, but higher ups did nothing about it...maybe their caseload tripled due to layoffs and they were unable to check back quick enough, maybe they were in court testifying in scores of other cases more serious... and what is this about "those who actually work and produce"?? these people don't work? or produce? and you have evidence of this? please tell me that you have some sort of crictical-thinking skills, because what comes out of your mouth disproves that notion.

So, the "higher ups" (government workers) failed to do their job?
So, the "courts (government workers) failed to do their job?

by "producers", I'm talking about those in the PRIVATE sector who's pay isn't derived from tax dollars. Those in the PRIVATE sector pay taxes, which pay the wages of the incompetent fools who let this girl starve.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

So, the "higher ups" (government workers) failed to do their job?
So, the "courts (government workers) failed to do their job?

by "producers", I'm talking about those in the PRIVATE sector who's pay isn't derived from tax dollars. Those in the PRIVATE sector pay taxes, which pay the wages of the incompetent fools who let this girl starve.

you mean like boeing? that's has billions in taxpayer funded orders
you mean like exxon? who recieves taxpayer funded subsidies on exploration and drilling.
you mean like aetna? that recieves taxpayer funded medical payouts for medicare from the federal government.
you mean like citi, jp morgan, bank of america, goldman sachs? who recieved taxpayer funded bailout money.
you mean like haliburton? who recieves taxpayer money for logistics for our military
you mean all the rest of the those companies whos PAY ISN'T DERIVED FROM TAX DOLLARS?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

yup...let's cut back on all the govmint workers, this is just big govmint wasting our tax dollars...where is our FREEDOM AND LIBERTY!! PEOPLE SHOULD BE LEFT ALONE!! (sarcasm)

I've read all your posts in this thread...so far the ones you have posted. Backtracked to your first post to reply.

What the hell is wrong with you. This thread is about an abused young girl...not your agenda.

Get your compassion together, and think about this one girl. Say a prayer for her or something constructive for God's sake.

JMOHO....Des

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

you mean like boeing? that's has billions in taxpayer funded orders
you mean like exxon? who recieves taxpayer funded subsidies on exploration and drilling.
you mean like aetna? that recieves taxpayer funded medical payouts for medicare from the federal government.
you mean like citi, jp morgan, bank of america, goldman sachs? who recieved taxpayer funded bailout money.
you mean like haliburton? who recieves taxpayer money for logistics for our military
you mean all the rest of the those companies whos PAY ISN'T DERIVED FROM TAX DOLLARS?

You won't get a single argument out of me on any of those. I'm against ALL welfare. They either rise or fall on their performance alone. True capitalism. I'm tired of companies privatizing their profits, and socializing their losses. Not in my "Utopia"...it wouldn't happen. Those "me too" arguments though that you're trying to make, doesn't justify a bunch of lazy government "workers" (slackers) not doing their jobs.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
This sort of thing is one of the real conspiracies of our time. All of this money funneled into these programs and family services.... and no one does their job. No one is paying a price for not monitoring this situation. The mother is only getting 18 mos when a guy with some pot for personal use goes to jail for most of his life. NO ONE should "slip through the cracks". Family didnt notice this girl? Neighbors? Doctors? No one noticed this starving child.. and the mother only gets 18 months... sickening. War on drugs, war on terror, blah blah blah... and the most vulnerable in our society are "slipping through the cracks".. there is no excuse.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join