It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new blow to telemarketers from the FCC.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
www.courthousenews.com...

The Federal Communications Commission revises its telemarketing rules to align them with Federal Trade Commission rules, and removes the established business relationship exemption.

The FCC will require prior express written consent for all autodialed or prerecorded telemarketing calls to wireless numbers and for prerecorded calls to residential lines.

Don't you hate telemarketers. The scammers trying to get financial information are the worst. They could care less about the FCC and FTC. Most of them are not revealed by any reverse lookup but a history of their mayhem can be found on 800notes.com... which contains some interesting user reports and counter tactics.

I have gotten to the point where if I do not recognize the calling number I simply do not answer.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I like to answer telemarketer's call.

They ask me if I need the latest innovations in hot-tub technology and I ask them if they have accepted Jesus Christ as their personal lord and savior.. I'm not Christian by the way.

These people usually hang up before I finish the sentence.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I will admit, in the past when I've answered a telemarketer call. After their spiel I have said *no speakie english*, if they switch to spanish, I then said *no speakie spannich*...and hung up. That would most times get me taken off their call list.

Don't have those problems anymore....

Des

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

Such a tit for tat game and they will always find a loophole to exploit, can't stop progress yo!

The only thing that worked for me is when answering, say " I am recording this call for my attorney, what is your name and company?" "Please take me off of your list or we will pursue legal actions."
The only thing this does not work for are the automated calls, which I call back and leave the same message.

Peace

ETA: Oh Des, you crack me up

Not a bad idea but I bet there are some aggressive co's that will assign a foreign language speaker to call...yikes. Maybe just an incoherent moaning and slurring would work.

edit on 12-6-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

I like to answer telemarketer's call.

They ask me if I need the latest innovations in hot-tub technology and I ask them if they have accepted Jesus Christ as their personal lord and savior.. I'm not Christian by the way.

These people usually hang up before I finish the sentence.

I usually don't answer the phone if I don't know the number calling. However, your idea is brilliant!!

Maybe if I am in a good mood I just might answer and use that one!

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Here's a real blow to telemarketers. We never answer our phone just because it rings. Our message is as follows:

Hello. We screen all of our calls. If you'd like to speak to us, please leave a message and we'll either pick up now, or get back to you as soon as we can. Thank you.

Some call at regular times throughout the day, eventually giving up. Or some leave a frustrated message about us not answering.
But we NEVER have to deal with them.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Here's a real blow to telemarketers. We never answer our phone just because it rings. Our message is as follows:

Hello. We screen all of our calls. If you'd like to speak to us, please leave a message and we'll either pick up now, or get back to you as soon as we can. Thank you.

Some call at regular times throughout the day, eventually giving up. Or some leave a frustrated message about us not answering.
But we NEVER have to deal with them.

I don't have a landline, just my cell phone.. telemarketers started ringing it up so I set up my phone to go to google voice.. google voice lets you specify multiple greetings based on phone number..

I uploaded my address book to google voice and if it's a known number, my greeting is short and simple.. ( plus I usually answer ) .. if it's NOT a known number or if it's private/blocked.. it tells them to leave a message after the song and then it plays the "Banana Song" before ending with a beep.

For those that don't know the song.. most telemarketers wouldn't stay on the line..

I for one am HAPPY about this new change.. keep them from calling me all together!
edit on 6/12/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
My grandfather was mean to telemarketers, he would put them on speaker and leave them room for a bit, come back later and ask them to repeat it all because the phone cut out.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cyprex
My grandfather was mean to telemarketers, he would put them on speaker and leave them room for a bit, come back later and ask them to repeat it all because the phone cut out.

The president of my last company did something like that.. he'd ask them to hold while he went to go get the person in charge of purchasing then he'd go to one of our desks and have us pick it up and put them back on hold while WE went to go get the right person.. after 2-3 transfers with a minute or two hold time each they'd be gone.. time is money for them.. that's kind of why I decided to be mean with the 1:40 second banana song

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

I just watched this. Here's the YouTube comment I left in response to it.

I think anyone who believes that humanity is going to survive longer than the next 20 years, should be required to not only watch this video, but also take note of the view count.
edit on 12-6-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join