It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Falkland Islands to hold referendum on sovereignty

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Fair enough. Australia should be returned to its former Aborigine owners. South American countries should hand over power to native Indian tribes. Same in North America. France should hand back Brittany and Aquitane to Britain. And so on.............It is either the same rules for all or your point is redundant.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Originally posted by CrimsonKapital

Britain abandoned Australia after the Fall of Singapore, they didn't care if we were enslaved or entirely exterminated, they only selfishly cared about themselves.

Rubbish - not even close to being true. Not only ignorant but stupid.

Us Australians had more men killed in WW1 than America!!!

You really like to look like a fool, dont' you??

US casualties approx 116,000 dead. Australian casualties approx 61,000 dead - source

Britain owed us and when they had the chance to repay the favour they spat in our faces and ran away to Britain...

Keep digging....

Oh wow 10 Falklanders were killed? Comparing that to the amount of Australians kiled is an insult.!!!

Tell that to the 10 dead people and their families.

The fact is you said that the Falklands had not done anything to help the Brits.

The facts are you were wrong - and you remain wrong.

As well as ignorant.

Actually Australia did have more casualties in ww1, Australia doesn't count those who died of disease, America does.

If we look only at battle casualties America had 53, 000 killed in battle, and 63,000 killed from diseases.
Australia had over 62,000 killed, so more Australians were killed in battle in WW1 than Americans!!!

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by CrimsonKapital

Um, you are actually aware that Britain was fighting from Britain until 1944 and the D Day Invasion are you? This is totally off topic but clearly needs to be pointed out! So how was Britain supposed to send you troops? Ask the Germans for a travel pass?

Britain was not under direct threat like Australia was in 1942-43. Yes you should have sent us reinforcements, we sent our men to fight and die for Britain in WW1 so why is it so hard for Britain to do the same>?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Ok i take your point but you seem to be failing to grasp mine - which is, basically, how we were supposed to get troops to you?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Ok i take your point but you seem to be failing to grasp mine - which is, basically, how we were supposed to get troops to you?

Uh, build a boat.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Uh, build a boat.

Brilliant. If that is a demonstration of your intelligent input, i think i will leave this here......

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

The Battle for Britain ended in 1940,

Yes, but if we had then left the home front undefended to send troops to Australia what on earth do you think Germany would have done?
They maintained a large force in France you know and could have quite easily overran an undefended British mainland.

That's pretty obvious to everyone - well, almost everyone.

And there was the little matter of re-arming and building up forces etc to invade continental Europe and defeat Germany.

Australia was under invasion from 1942-43

No, Australia was not under invasion.
Australia thought it was under threat of invasion.
Quite a different thing.
But the reality is that upon consideration Japan thought it was beyond their military capability to invade Australia and instead attempted to isolate Australia from the USA by capturing various strategic islands and bases in the Pacific arena.

But hey, never let FACTS get in the way of emotion and a story - especially one that portrays the UK in a bad light just to further an anti-UK agenda and bigotry.

You did abandon us after Singapore fell,

Singapore wasn't the UK's greatest moment - quite shameful in fact in my opinion.

instead of sending reinforcements you said a big F*CK YOU to Australia and allowed the Japanese to besiege us.

What part of 'we had no reinforcements to send you' don't you understand?
And it was agreed between the UK, USA and Australia that the US would concentrate it's efforts in the Pacific thus maximising the efficiency of their joint forces.

Pretty straight forward and obvious.

Not wanting trivialise things, I think you are doing a good job of that on your own, but you really sound like a spoilt little child.

The only reason Australia didn't get invaded was because of something called the Kokoda track

Yes, there was a series of battles between Australian and Japanese forces over about 6 months on the Kokoda Track, or is it Trail? - but it was hardly the single, defining event that prevented Japan from invading Australia.
Japan simply thought it was logistically impossible to successfully invade Australia and sought to isolate it from it's allies.

How dare you?

Quite easily.

Just how old are you?

I didn't belittle Britains dead, but you feel its okay to do it to mine?

And how exactly have I belittled Australia's dead?
By pointing out FACTS about the numbers of dead?

I've done nothing but express my most sincerest and heart felt thanks, respect and eternal gratitude for the friendship Australia has shown to the UK over the years and the price far too many have had to pay.

Yet you completely dismissed the same price that Falkland Islanders paid with complete disdain.

You refuse to pay the same respect to others that you demand for yourselves - hypocrisy of the highest order.

You used us as your cannon fodder in WW1, you despised our people and treated us like sh*t, yet even those who died for Britain yet you think its okay to belittle them?

Show me one example of where I have shown any disrespect for Australian troops.

The way ALL troops were treat as cannon fodder in WWI was a disgrace - you do know that millions of British Tommy's and Canadian forces etc also died in exactly the same manner and with the same disregard as Australians did.
We British certainly don't hate Australian's, we have a deep respect for them.

And I've got news for you - we've all been treat like crap by our 'leaders' and governments.
You, just like us Brits, are neither unique or special in that regard.

You really need to grow up and direct your hatred towards those that deserve it - politicians, bankers, corporate bosses etc.

Australian's take the piss out of us Brits and call us whinging Poms, the only one's I see whinging on ATS nowadays are Australians - time to grow up people.
edit on 13/6/12 by Freeborn because: typo

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Uh, build a boat.

The UK had so little raw materials for anything that they were recycling absolutely everything and were buying old, knackered, outdated equipment, (including boats), off the US at extortionate rates.

I assume you are also aware of the Battle Of the Atlantic and how the UK was under constant siege for the full duration.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

The Battle for Britain ended in 1940,

That's pretty obvious to everyone - well, almost everyone.

And there was the little matter of re-arming and building up forces etc to invade continental Europe and defeat Germany.

Australia was under invasion from 1942-43

But hey, never let FACTS get in the way of emotion and a story - especially one that portrays the UK in a bad light just to further an anti-UK agenda and bigotry.

You did abandon us after Singapore fell,

Singapore wasn't the UK's greatest moment - quite shameful in fact in my opinion.

instead of sending reinforcements you said a big F*CK YOU to Australia and allowed the Japanese to besiege us.

What part of 'we had no reinforcements to send you' don't you understand?
And it was agreed between the UK, USA and Australia that the US would concentrate it's efforts in the Pacific thus maximising the efficiency of their joint forces.

Pretty straight forward and obvious.

Not wanting trivialise things, I think you are doing a good job of that on your own, but you really sound like a spoilt little child.

The only reason Australia didn't get invaded was because of something called the Kokoda track

Yes, there was a series of battles between Australian and Japanese forces over about 6 months on the Kokoda Track, or is it Trail? - but it was hardly the single, defining event that prevented Japan from invading Australia.
Japan simply thought it was logistically impossible to successfully invade Australia and sought to isolate it from it's allies.

How dare you?

Quite easily.

Just how old are you?

I didn't belittle Britains dead, but you feel its okay to do it to mine?

And how exactly have I belittled Australia's dead?
By pointing out FACTS about the numbers of dead?

I've done nothing but express my most sincerest and heart felt thanks, respect and eternal gratitude for the friendship Australia has shown to the UK over the years and the price far too many have had to pay.

Yet you completely dismissed the same price that Falkland Islanders paid with complete disdain.

You refuse to pay the same respect to others that you demand for yourselves - hypocrisy of the highest order.

You used us as your cannon fodder in WW1, you despised our people and treated us like sh*t, yet even those who died for Britain yet you think its okay to belittle them?

Show me one example of where I have shown any disrespect for Australian troops.

The way ALL troops were treat as cannon fodder in WWI was a disgrace - you do know that millions of British Tommy's and Canadian forces etc also died in exactly the same manner and with the same disregard as Australians did.
We British certainly don't hate Australian's, we have a deep respect for them.

And I've got news for you - we've all been treat like crap by our 'leaders' and governments.
You, just like us Brits, are neither unique or special in that regard.

You really need to grow up and direct your hatred towards those that deserve it - politicians, bankers, corporate bosses etc.

Australian's take the piss out of us Brits and call us whinging Poms, the only one's I see whinging on ATS nowadays are Australians - time to grow up people.
edit on 13/6/12 by Freeborn because: typo

Firstly Australia was under invasion. The Japanese had landed on the north side of New Guinea and were preparing to take Port Moresby so they could stage a land invasion of the Eastern Australian coast, once Port Moresby would fall they were to immediately invade and take Brisbane, Sydney, and Melbourne thus making Australia submit. They knew they couldn't target the whole of Australia, it was too big so they planned to target the three big cities.
However, Australian reinforcements from the Middle East managed to bolster the 6 month campaign for the Australians which ultimately led to Japan retreating.

Secondly, I am not anti-UK, I love the British but their hate for us runs deeper than they're willing to admit.

Thirdly, I haven't disregarded the Falklanders, but since you compared their sacrifice to Australians I felt that was insulting your basically saying 45,000 dead Aussies are only equal to 10 Falklanders?

Fourthly, if you have respect for Australia than why did you abandon us in WW2 when we needed your help desperately?
And why did you help the Falklanders and not us? Or are Aussies not their equal?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Uh, build a boat.

The UK had so little raw materials for anything that they were recycling absolutely everything and were buying old, knackered, outdated equipment, (including boats), off the US at extortionate rates.

I assume you are also aware of the Battle Of the Atlantic and how the UK was under constant siege for the full duration.
en.wikipedia.org...

What a load of rubbish you were practically giving weapons away to the Russians, weapons that were desperately needed by Australia. You would rather give weapons to an enemy than your own ally????

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Firstly Australia was under invasion.

No it was not.

The Japanese had landed on the north side of New Guinea and were preparing to take Port Moresby

Port Moresby has never been part of Australia.

so they could stage a land invasion of the Eastern Australian coast,

Japan gave serious consideration to invading Australia but dismissed it as an option as they knew it was both logistically and militarily impossible especially considering it's other committments etc.
They sought to gain Australia's submission by isolating it from it's allies.

Secondly, I am not anti-UK, I love the British but their hate for us runs deeper than they're willing to admit.

Don't think so mate, sorry to burst your bubble but we actually think you Aussies are alright!

Thirdly, I haven't disregarded the Falklanders, but since you compared their sacrifice to Australians I felt that was insulting your basically saying 45,000 dead Aussies are only equal to 10 Falklanders?

Proportionately the Falkland Islanders sacrifice was about equal to Australia's - that it no way disrespects or belittles the efforts of either - and bear in mind you completely disregarded the effort the Falkland Islanders paid - why do you expect people to disregard your disrepect of others and then show umbarge at some imaginary insult to Australia and it's forces?

Fourthly, if you have respect for Australia than why did you abandon us in WW2 when we needed your help desperately?

I didn't abandon anyone.
And in my opinion neither did my country back then.
You seem completely unwilling to listen to any reasonable explanation of events back then and are obsessed with the false notion the we betrayed you and that we don't like you.

And why did you help the Falklanders and not us? Or are Aussies not their equal?

If Australia was ever under threat like The Falklands were / are then I would do everything within my capability to help defend / support it, and I think the vast majority of my countrymen would feel the same.

As I said before I think you would be better served directing your anger and outrage at those who deserve it - politicians, bankers, corporate whores and other elites who continue to screw this world over.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Port Moresby has never been part of Australia

This shows how uneducated you are...

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Port Moresby has never been part of Australia

Port Moresby was ceded to become part of the Commonwealth of Australia in 1906. That is not the same as saying it is Australia. If it was, by that logic, Australia (as a member of the British Commonwealth) would be still British.

Don't think you have quite got the grasp of this, to be honest. Either that or you just hate Britain. Have you been attacked by a Brit before? Must be some reason for this..........

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Then please educate me?

And it's strange that you've failed to supply any evidence of me belittling Australia's war effort and it's fallen despite you repeating the claim.

In fact you've consistently failed to reply to many of the points raised with you.

Is that because you choose to simply ignore things when your pre-conceived ideas are proven wrong or is it that you are incapable of admitting you were wrong?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   

No I do not hate Britons like I said I love the British.

BUT what I don't understand, and this will take me back to my OP is that why does Britain come to the Falkland islands defence but they are willing to abandon Australia, Why?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Australia wasn't simply abandoned. That is the point. It was simply that Britain could not get to Australia. At the time, we were too busy trying to stop Germany from getting into Britain.

Just to make this simpler, Germany was 20 miles from the UK (Northern France). It is 1,124 miles from Port Moresby to Darwin, although i accept this distance is shorter to mainland Australia (but still over 500 miles).

The Falklands conflict was in the 1980's, when we were not about to be invaded by anyone. If Australia was ever threatened, the UK would be the first (or possibly second, behind New Zealand) nation to offer military support. And, more to the point, Britain would be proud and in favour of that support.
edit on 13-6-2012 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   

FFS, we didn't abandon Australia - it was agreed by all concerned that it would be better if the US provided aid to Australia due to the UK's lack of resources and raw material etc, the ongoing threat of invasion of UK mainland if stripped of forces, the continuing blockade and Battle Of The Atlantic, continuing military involvement in various theatres of war, etc.

If Australia was ever threatened then the UK would immediately offer whatever support was needed and requested.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   

I dont think the Chinese will allow them to have it when they are sole superpower very soon.
reply to post by Germanicus

See this phrase and word gets thrown about a lot lately, the fact being being people haven't a clue what it means.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   

maybe the UK could trade some diamonds and gold, as who needs scrap metal when you got the real goods, like gold, bombs and guns, drugs and control of the banks...

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

yea, don't worry, the KIng's empire is not letting any take you from his reign and control, just the opposite, as seizing control and power is the agenda of world and if you want to change your name and flag, still not going to change your masters.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join