It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Falkland Islands to hold referendum on sovereignty

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I think it is just about time that an official vote was taken on this subject. I live in mainland Britain, and as far as I am concerned, the Falklands identity, in terms of what nation it considers itself to be a part of, should always have been thier right to decide. Sure enough, it makes no bloody difference what so ever in real terms to the daily lives of Britons living on the mainland, whether or not the Falklanders would rather be under the protection of our sovereign or the protection of the Argentinian military.

Aside from the deep emotional issues that many former armed service persons might feel if the Falklands leave the United Kingdom, which would be very difficult for them, the rest of us, bar a slight amount of discomfort would have little to say, and no business complaining, something which we are all aware of and more than capable of accepting should it come to pass.

However, the chances of the Falklands voting to leave the United Kingdom are pretty damned slim. The people there understand the lengths to which the UK will go, and the sacrifices we would make in its defense, and I think they value that strength at their backs, and the identity that comes with being a part of the Kingdom.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
This referendum is already decided. What is the point to ask british citizens whether they want to belong to the uk or to the economically broken third world country called Argentina?

Nevertheless, the islands are within the territorial waters of Argentina and that should be enough to end this dispute.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by mkgandhas
reply to post by Freeborn

if the falklanders are smart they will vote freedom!!! They will be filthy rich!!! but if they stick with the monarchy thugs then they will be poor and have to bear austerity.

We would just invade them before anyone else did
jk

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus
Yes. The Argentinians are Indiginous. They were the first to settle there.

In 1833 the British colonial power invaded Las Mavinas, and what happen afterwards is now called “ethnic cleansing” – hundreds of English settlers were artificially introduced while all Argentineans were expelled.

theconversation.edu.au...

There had been French and British settlements in the 1700s. This was even before Spain had established the Viceroyalty of the Río de la Plata.

Your source is bollocks by the way. Most of the Argentine settlers stayed where they were and some of them were British. Altogether there were only 29 of them.
edit on 12/6/12 by Soshh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by Germanicus

It was hardly 'ethnic cleansing' - the journalist who wrote the piece was partaking in a bit of literary exaggeration in an effort to sensationalise and influence - it seems to have worked with some.

The truth is that the newly formed Argentinian government founded a penal colony on the islands which had been temporarily abandoned due to a raid on a British settlement carried out by the US warship USS Lexington.
The governor was killed in a mutiny after four days and the penal colony, not a settlement at all, struggled on for two months until the British returned and asked the Argentinians to withdraw from the islands which they reluctantly did so - no-one was killed or harmed.

The British settlement continued to thrive with predominantly Scottish and Welsh settlers who were completely ignored by the Argentinian goverment and people for well over 100 years.

No offence but that is the history of a capitalist lemming. History is more than capitalist wiki and capitalist history books.
The island was ethnically cleansed( yes,quite the capitalist word play isnt it
) and the Argentinians were expelled by the English.

Now how can you claim that Argentina ignored them when the English clearly cleansed the area of Argentinians that were there? The Argentinian Government has hardly ignored them. They were cleansed from Las Malvinas. They have been trying to get it back on and off for a long time now. Sometimes the political climate does not allow you to speak your mind in the Imperial Empire. Now that capitalism is on its death bad, its time to speak up again.
edit on 12-6-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Falklanders could live like kings if they separate from the british empire.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mkgandhas

Why would they want to? they know that we spilt blood for them and I know they would do the same for the UK.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by HEYJOSE

And still you provide no proof to what you have said.
I look after old people that's why I ran a party for them.
Oh and this is happy
this
means Iam laughing at you

Apparently you didn't understand what I said so let me put it another way, regarding your need for proof, no I am not going to provide you the proof that you need because, you strike me as the kind of guy/ girl, (whatever )that always needs to be right and quite frankly, do your own research or remain ignorant. It's your choice and after all ignorance is really all about choice isn't it folks. Ignorance works like this, first your informed of some information which warps your mental paradigm, your perceptions and or the societal programming if you will, now your question is to confirm or deny the information provided or remain in a state of ignorance My comment about the 90 year olds...humor or is it humour? Laugh at me monkeyboy? Tis you that are in the cage. I weep for you. PEACE

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mkgandhas

Falklanders could live like kings if they separate from the british empire.

Exactly.

The British Taxpayer will see none of the profits and we know it. It is the natural reaction for many English and Americans to defend their Imperial Governmets.They are quite happy for some corporatist and shareholders to take in massive profits while the corporatist politicians tax a little of the top to make their crooked books look better. These people that defend their governments on issues like this puzzle me. They need to think deeper. American style Imperial Capitalism is rooted in corporatism. People are fooled into cheering on corporatists. Its sad really.
edit on 12-6-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Why would they want to? they know that we spilt blood for them and I know they would do the same for the UK.

depends .They would be getting 100 million to nearly 900 million$ per person if 50:50 ratio is taken. They would be the richest nation on the planet per capita.And there will not western corporates to cheat them of what is rightfully theirs.Look at how Western corporates loot the third world countries that have been invaded by the West.If Falklanders are smart they will take smart decision and be the richest people on the planet.If they stick with the UK,crown ,nobility and the corporates will swindle them and cart off with their wealth,like how Scotland could be uber rich but british rule over them has given them budgetary issues and austerity cuts.

off topic :does falklands have immigration issues.How quickly can person become citizen of Falklands? I wish to get a potential 100 million$.

edit on 12-6-2012 by mkgandhas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Yes but the only reason they are doing this referendum is because the government is confident of the result. Yes this is all great for democracy bla bla bla....but when it comes to a referendum on the EU or Scotland leaving the Union it's a whole other story!

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by HEYJOSE

Your pretty new here so I forgive your inane ranting, but on this site we like proof YOU were the one making outlandish claims without any proof not me so why would I waste my time trying to find proof when you must know where the proof is.....or are you just talking BS?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
so if 3000 argentinians went to the isle of wight and said they wanted to be part of argentina, great britain would be o.k. with that.

how about a swap, the malvinas for the isle of wight.

i thought great britain left all the colonial and imperilism in the past.
edit on 12-6-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

If they had been living there for hundreds of years (which they have not) they could have the isle of wight..

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Who did we steal it off? the Argies? heck they didn't even exist when we found it and started living there.

You stole it from the indiginous people. It was only a very small group. But still. Kinda like Australia and new Zealand and places like that. Pacific islands..... The English would sail around and if there was no commerce happening,they would consider it unclaimed land and make it a colony. English Imperialism.

Now England is part of the American Empire. American Imperialism is at play. Argentina are on the outer of the Empire. England is part of the inner circle. I have a problem with England thinking they can suck oil from a part of the world that is not anywhere near them.

If the English Government does not want the oil and will allow the tiny population of the Islands get the entire profits from the oil, which will make them the wealthiest of people per capita I would say, then fine. But we all know England wants to suck resources. Suck profits.

Who cares about the Imperial foothold? China knows it is there. WW3 will be a different style of war. The military foothold will not matter,and China will win. After that,England will not waste money sending its military to holiday there.

Sorry, but total rubbish. There were no indigenous people on the island. There was a small penal colony that the Americans had kind of taken over (it's a long story) but there was no Falklands equivalent of the Maoris.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mailboxuser2009
Nevertheless, the islands are within the territorial waters of Argentina and that should be enough to end this dispute.

Falkland Islands are no where near Argentina's territorial waters.

Falkland Islands are around 300 miles off the Argentinian coast.

Territorial waters end at 14 miles (12 nm).
Contiguous Zone ends at 28 miles (24 nm).
Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) ends at 230 miles (200nm).

edit on 12-6-2012 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

It will not matter soon.

The Imperial Empire is almost dead.

Imperial military footholes will not matter. England wants all that oil. I dont think the Chinese will allow them to have it when they are sole superpower very soon.

They do not have a large enough population to justify self determination or lay claim anyway. This is nothing more than an english publicity stunt.

China has no real Navy, and no way to control anything that far from home.

They only have one small carrier and they still haven't even shot a plane off of it yet, so they are years away from having an operational carrier. And it's a diesel boat not nuclear, so it will be very slow compared to our carriers, and will not able to stay at sea for very long without resupply.

China is a long way from controling anything in the Atlantic, England has far more naval power than China.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

if the falklanders are smart they will vote freedom!!! They will be filthy rich!!! but if they stick with the monarchy thugs then they will be poor and have to bear austerity

But whatever happens it will be their choice - an option many seem to want to deny them.

They are masters of their own destiny - at least more so than most of us - as they are rightly being given the option to choose for themselves.

Whatever they choose who are you or I or anyone on here to criticise?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mailboxuser2009

Quack quack oops - no they are not.

www.britannica.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

The Falkland Islands are approximately 250 nautical miles away from the nearest part of the South American mainland.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

It will not matter soon.

The Imperial Empire is almost dead.

Imperial military footholes will not matter. England wants all that oil. I dont think the Chinese will allow them to have it when they are sole superpower very soon.

They do not have a large enough population to justify self determination or lay claim anyway. This is nothing more than an english publicity stunt.

Showing your total ignorance there.

What's with the "English"? Unable to distinguish? Most, if not all, of the Islanders are of Scots and Welsh decent. You're just showing your blatant bigotry there and hatred of the English.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join