It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Falkland Islands to hold referendum on sovereignty

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04
reply to post by deepankarm

I thought that was America? It's hard to keep track of who the new Imperial scum is we are suppose to hate.

And yet you're so ready to hate without even being in possession of the facts. You must be a laugh a minute.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Physic

I think my post is pretty straight forward and if you can't understand it then I think you may have serious comprehension problems.

Do you have even the remotest idea of the type of landscape etc in the Falklands?

Why would anyone volunteer to stay and work as a 'servant' or 'hand' in such an inhospitable place?
The whole point of emmigrating to such places is to have and work your own land free from wealthy landowners etc.

Ultimately no matter how you and other's try to spin it you are supporting neo-colonialism by Argentina and the suppression of The Right To Self-Determination just to further an anti-UK agenda and bigotry.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Is it me or is there one of these Falklands threads almost weekly at the moment? Same old arguments, same old anti-british rhetoric. I dont understand why the right to self determination is such a difficult nettle to grasp.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   

I thought that was America? It's hard to keep track of who the new Imperial scum is we are suppose to hate.
I was being sarcastic.
The level of arrogance this good for nothing nation shows......now where is my sarcastic gun???

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by deepankarm

I was being sarcastic.
The level of arrogance this good for nothing nation shows......now where is my sarcastic gun???

Pray tell me, are you referring to Argentina?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by 0010110011101

Seems there are a lot of people out there who have a deep rooted hatred of all things British and whose sole purpose here on ATS is to spread their hatred and bigotry.

Apparently it's acceptable.

But we have broad shoulders, thick skin and usually a strength of arguement etc to rise above such things.

Personally I would hate to be so consumed with hatred and other negativity.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0010110011101

I was being sarcastic.

Pray tell me, are you referring to Argentina?
No, i am reffering to the daydreaming british who are yet to wake up in the post colonial world.
It is harsh to condemn britain in this case as falklanders have the right to choose.
But i generally sense that arrogance in the british public and media.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by 0010110011101

Seems there are a lot of people out there who have a deep rooted hatred of all things British and whose sole purpose here on ATS is to spread their hatred and bigotry.

Apparently it's acceptable.

But we have broad shoulders, thick skin and usually a strength of arguement etc to rise above such things.

Personally I would hate to be so consumed with hatred and other negativity.
You also have a lot of wealth gained by every method mentioned in the 'book of the wicked'....

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

I'm not quite sure why you're so pissed at the British? I'm not going to reiterate the arguments about the fact that Argentina wasn't even a country when the British inhabited the islands, there are pages of it here and elsewhere.

What I really want to get to the bottom of is why you are so bent out of shape with the British Public, when in fact the vast majority have nothing to do with these decisions and frankly could not give a toss about this little outcrop of land either?

Would you care to explain your quite blatant xenophobia?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   

You also have a lot of wealth gained by every method mentioned in the 'book of the wicked'....

As does every other government that has ever had the power to do so.

Second.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Since they are directly dependent on a third party (reading the wikipedia page) and due to how the land was colonized the UK has all the reasons to believe that they will never side with Argentina.

I do not believe that in the present setup it is anything more that a public demonstration of support, in this case I truly believe that the Islands should be under UK rule, but I also recognize that the returns from the resources extracted from the region should be used for the region's development. I would much prefer that the persons that live there would have a say about that...

I see a more problematic issue things like Northern Ireland or Gibraltar, than the Falkland. To a point I also see how Argentina may have a god claim I just do not know how the Argentinian territorial claim was defined when it was granted independence from Spain...

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

It is harsh to condemn britain in this case as falklanders have the right to choose.
But i generally sense that arrogance in the british public and media.

But you will anyway.

I was born and bred in North East England and despite being pretty widely travelled I have lived there all my life.

My Grandparents came to England from various parts of Ireland.

I assure you this region and it's people have been screwed over by the governments and elite of this country just as much as anyone has been - could please show me the wealth that we have gained because I assure you I've never seen any evidence of it.

Sorry, nothing of what you have posted has explained your bigotry towards the British people.

reply to post by Panic2k11

........but I also recognize that the returns from the resources extracted from the region should be used for the region's development.

Despite not having any legal or moral responsibility to do so the UK offered Argentina a full and equal share of the development and proceeds from any mineral wealth found within the region.
The UK also offered to fund and build an oil refinery on the Argentinian mainland.

This would have provided a massive boost to the Argentinian economy and would have had the added benefit of building up a relationship between the islanders and Argentina - who knows where that may have led to in the future.

Kirchner dismissed the offer outright and despite repeated offers has refused to budge.

I would much prefer that the persons that live there would have a say about that...

So do I - unfortunately it seems that Kirchner disagrees and she would rather raise her own international profile rather than help provide a massive boost to the Argentinian economy and improve relations with the Islanders.

I see a more problematic issue things like Northern Ireland or Gibraltar, than the Falkland.

I would love to debate and discuss Northen Ireland and even Gobraltar with you but I have absolutely no intention of derailing this thread - start a thread on either / both and I would gladly contribute.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Not sure I said volunteer servants, servants with pay, not slavery...wages sure was not much and exploit the islanders, as any coinage, was better than none...and not like there was lot of jobs or is..

The King thinks it is property of the crown and I disagree, call it bigotry, call it what you will...still does not change the facts of the matter and landscape obviously is not that bad, as sheep raising and fishing hear are great and so is tourism..

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by Physic

I think my post is pretty straight forward and if you can't understand it then I think you may have serious comprehension problems.

Do you have even the remotest idea of the type of landscape etc in the Falklands?

Why would anyone volunteer to stay and work as a 'servant' or 'hand' in such an inhospitable place?
The whole point of emmigrating to such places is to have and work your own land free from wealthy landowners etc.

Ultimately no matter how you and other's try to spin it you are supporting neo-colonialism by Argentina and the suppression of The Right To Self-Determination just to further an anti-UK agenda and bigotry.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TritonTaranis

Argentina clearly doesn't care about the islands inhabitants or there rights to decide there own future, those people have been the islands only inhabitants they have the right to decide who they're governed by, Argentina have been bulling them for many years, they have invaded once and are now seeking to starve them out by refusing port entry to all ship flying the Falklands islands flag across the whole of South America, not exactly a good start to gain support by those you wish to rule,

I disagree with this view and maybe the rest of your opinions...

First off the people there, removed everyone who did not agree to abide by the Crowns ownership and rules, and then planted kingdom colonization and tried to say they own it...has been in dispute and the the King broke several agreements from the Argentina argument and only ones saying it is the property of the UK, are those who own property and been paid to stay there...and got citizenship, more UK transplants 70% just enough to control any voting and interest...so they should not be allowed to vote and have a say, as they represent the oppressors from all I have read and are the invaders..the King Crown

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Physic

I disagree with this view and maybe the rest of your opinions...

First off the people there, removed everyone who did not agree to abide by the Crowns ownership and rules, and then planted kingdom colonization and tried to say they own it...has been in dispute and the the King broke several agreements from the Argentina argument and only ones saying it is the property of the UK, are those who own property and been paid to stay there...and got citizenship, more UK transplants 70% just enough to control any voting and interest...so they should not be allowed to vote and have a say, as they represent the oppressors from all I have read and are the invaders..the King Crown

King Crown? Whut? Eh?
Let's just go back to the fact that the Islanders are very likely going to vote 99% in favour of staying British shall we?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Clearly the falklands are British

I do believe though that America should give New York to the Russians.

The Americans won't do that though, even though Russia owns New York, because of oil and colonialism
edit on 14-6-2012 by dmsuse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

Bow down to the King is what the 70% do there, as that is where they are from, so no matter what the results are, we all know it is stacked in the King's favor, all the land barons and property holdings are part of the crown now and the crown is not letting go and will kill those who say otherwise or run them off the island.

How many think anyone their who votes for anything other than sovereignty and tribute to the crown is going to be allowed to stay...?

no, they will be hung, accidental drowning, blacklisted and anything else it takes to teach them a lesson...

edit on 14-6-2012 by Physic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

reply to post by Peruvianmonk

Bow down to the King is what the 70% do there, as that is where they are from, so no matter what the results are, we all know it is stacked in the King's favor, all the land barons and property holdings are part of the crown now and the crown is not letting go and will kill those who say it is there or run them off the island, as how many of you think anyone their who votes for anything other than sovereignty and tribute to the crown is going to be allowed to stay...no, they will be hung, accidental drowning, blacklisted and anything else it takes to teach them a lesson...

Er, king? What king?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by dmsuse

New York, the name implies it owners are the King and crown origin, doesn't?

The crown owns it more than Russia, with China buying land deeds

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

reply to post by dmsuse

New York, the name implies it owners are the King and crown origin, doesn't?

The crown owns it more than Russia, with China buying land deeds

Mate, the entire Eastern coast of the USA (with the exception of bits of Florida) are mostly named after places in the UK. New York, Boston, Cambridge, New Jersey... it's a long list. People like familiar names.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join