It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thou Shalt Not Commit Logical Fallacies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Brilliant pic I ran into thru a FB share...led to a brilliant website with simple interactive education.

Should be a must-read with a quiz for all ATS members!!!

yourlogicalfallacyis.com...

I know this is short and sweet, but certainly worth the read (and bookmark) for responding to so many of the arguments we see these days on the boards!

With Love,

BTG

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Found this a few weeks ago. I loved it so much, I printed out a few copies and handed them around to my coworkers.

Hell, whatever it takes to get more people to think about what they say.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Don't we wish that ATS posts were free of logical fallacies.

I agree with all except genetic. If a person or website has a long history of posting or source of total crap I feel safe in judging them upon their failed history.

Is logic even taught any more? It should be mandatory at the college level IMHO.

Wiki has many in their latin form, such as en.wikipedia.org...
and en.wikipedia.org...
and en.wikipedia.org...

and also a decent summary at en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 12-6-2012 by oghamxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
i thought i'd stfu for a change
and i've got a , been blessed with , an unbreakable forehead btw , just mentioning that to no one in particular
edit on 12-6-2012 by ZIPMATT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ZIPMATT

This particular forum is not a general purpose forum, that would be why there are no stars to give. This forum is supposed to be used for board policies and the like. Hope that helps.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Daemonicon

c'est la , merci mesieur .

why is the thread on world situation / berkeley report not able to reply ? it doesnt say closed by mods . its not the end of the world , just sayin , lol

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
This poster is cool. I think they forgot to add the one that says "It's true you just don't understand the science so you're an idiot" fallacy.

Other than that the picture is right on about the logical fallacies I see in many many arguments. That's part of the reason why I like ATS, is the rules forces you to get better at debating if you feel like challenging yourself. The other reason is the super smart people that post here. Makes for really interesting topics and conversations.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

Is logic even taught any more? It should be mandatory at the college level IMHO.

Talking about logic to my kids just the other day... As far as I know. logic is only taught in Computer Science classes. More to the point of this thread would be a "debate" class. Not to get too " Star Trekky" but humans are awfully emotional creatures - often emotion>logic. You can argue a point with an ignorant person, but emotion often makes them stupid. Stupid>logic when it comes to making a point with someone.

Stupid (actually)>"everything else"

V
edit on 6/13/2012 by Variable because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by blamethegreys

If we as members take this as our ten commandments of forum decorum (its almost poetic!) then I can see things changing quite a bit around here...

... for one thing, its going to be a damn sight quieter !

*tumble weed*

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Kudos!

I have been employing these a lot today, for one reason or another.

yourlogicalfallacyis.com...

That's the website for the image you posted.
edit on 6/20/2012 by Anonymous404 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join