It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lurker...finally decided to sign up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I've been lurking & reading this board for a while now...everything on here intrigues me like nothing else on the net.

Anyway, I'm a 20 year old college student in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I don't know when the tide turned....but I NEVER used to question my government...I trusted the U.S. completely and NEVER thought our government would do anything to deceive us as citizens. I still felt this way after 9/11...

I think the tide turned for a few reasons...

First, some of the jargon Ashcroft spewed after 9/11 really got me thinking. I still trusted...but for some reason, Ashcroft got me thinking that perhaps our government WAS less than perfect. Then, the Patriot acts and gradual, somewhat subtle erosion of our civil liberties.

Second - I realized that people, in general, are guided by the "wrong" motivations. I've trusted individuals only to have them betray me for personal gain....

People ARE power-hungry and WILL lie and deceive to get their way. I don't know a single person on this planet who is not, to the core, guided by selfish motivations. We all try to curb this and a lot of us are "good at heart" but nobody is ever content with what they have. So, extrapolate this to a governmental level - and why wouldn't our government lie and deceive us in order to gain power over us, and the rest of the world?

Then, I started reading websites like this one...and lately my distrust has been growing and growing due to the political climate of our country. What would happen if a 3rd party candidate outside of the "establishment" (I'll refrain from bring up NWO theories) were to gain support and become a legitimate threat to the establishment? I'm positive measures would be taken to keep the powers that be in power. Why do you think legit 3rd party candidates aren't even allowed at the debates?

I've grown from distrustful to paranoid...and I can't imagine America being "the land of the free" within 20 years. Perhaps I've become overly paranoid? Who knows...but paranoia is grounded in at least a degree of reality.

So, that's my introduction...my question to the member base at large is this - what is the best way to research posts on this board so that I can come to my own decision on their legitimacy? I don't have a real keen eye for deciphering legitimate conspiracy theories and threats to our freedom from bogus hoaxes.

Thanks, and I'm glad to be aboard.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
hey Paranoid Freak, welcome to ATS

hope you enjoy your stay here and thanks for filling us in about you interests in certain subjects

if you need any help feel free to u2u me and i'l try help

happy posting and hope to see you around the boards

rynaldo

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS you Paranoid Freak, just kidding.
Glad you found us.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Welcome Paranoid Freak. Nothing wrong with being a little paranoid. it keeps you warn at night! Have fun.....

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Nice to have you with us.

Be sure to check out the new wallpaper contest going on.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Have fun and Deny Ignorance.

Surf

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Welcome to ATS, Paranoid Freak. Enjoy it.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Welcoem and enjoy your stay here at the great ATS!

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   

This site helps keep the spirit of freedom alive!!!!

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Thanks for the warm welcomes.

I'm just hoping I don't come across as "too nutty" on these boards...post 9/11 America has me VERY worked up...my parents and friends laugh at all of my conspiracy theories.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Welcome to the site Paranoid Freak

any questions feel free to u2u me
enjoy and have fun

se7en

new topics

top topics

join