It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is the future!! Air superiority Drones

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I think that the future of manned aircraft is limited. With drones gaining the ground in warfare, other countries will surely join in the game.

This leads to the concept of whoever is utilizing the drones best will win the war.

How do you limit your enemies drones?

Why with an air superiority drone that is designed to shoot down other drones better than any fighter can.

I think we will be seeing Air superiority drones shortly within the next few years and I am sure it is under development as Black projects as we speak.
edit on 123030p://6America/ChicagoTue, 12 Jun 2012 00:46:25 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Well... your right...

In the end the only way to prevent you drones from being hijacked is to give them semi sentience to prevent alteration of their mission parameters.

This slow progression into the advancement of AI to prevent system hacking.

The true end game is an Artificial intelligence capable of hijacking other systems with its superior intelligence. Thus war ends and the true fruit of humanity is borne ....synthetic beings.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
No doubt. Now all they have to do is recruit a bunch of video game (professional players) to operate these drones. The Uncle Sam "I Want You" poster will be plastered all over the Xbox, PS3, and Wii, sites.

Those soldiers will be trained to think that the drone they are operating, (that is killing people), is naught but a video game with some "awesome" graphics thus removing more inhibition when pulling that trigger.
edit on 6/12/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

If you havent already... Find and read the book "Enders Game"

Its exactly what you are speaking of.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

Absolutely will do that. I am always looking for new, interesting things to read. Thanks!

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads up on the book. You guys should also read a book called 'wired for war' I saw a lecture by the author and it was extremely fascinating.

PS: Side notes
I remember when I played BF2 I was a master in the attack helo. I was able to down aircraft using my TV guided missile while single handily my helo was uncontrolled (seat switcher hehe). I was so good, that I still have people emailing me to come back into the game as they have yet to get anyone that good.

Also I remember that there was a guy who used to play similar flight sim games, never really took school seriously and he tried out for the air force and they made him UAV flight instructor.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Obviously. The greatest limitation to aircraft are, in fact, the pilots.

You really down with all this war stuff? It bores the crap out of me. By the way, we never mastered flight. Just like we never harnessed nuclear power. Or oil exploration. I see no reason why anything could possibly go wrong....

Hmmm, let's see. A political system consisting of two shill parties, both in the rectum of the zionist military industrial complex....bent on personal, and world, subjugation of their enemies, past, present, and most importantly, future. Remember 911? You call that 'air superiority'? Looked like a drone to me. I am just in love with the great humanistic developments, since then. Is this 'the professional'? Or some new version....? Have you considered running for POTUS yet?

A-and using the internet logs, which they control, as primary fuel for war. Nope, I just can't see anything going wrong with the premise of 'air superiority'.

Thanks for making me want to throw my gonads away.
edit on 12-6-2012 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
The future is just like XBOX360. As long as WE have the best players, we win. Other wise we are screwed.

Edit: Forgot to add. If we Loose, there is no restart.
edit on 12-6-2012 by hoochymama because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by hoochymama

Even the players will be eliminated at some point because the computer will be able to best shoot the targets (eg aimbot cheating for instance). The computer will be able to compensate for lag, different characteristics, wind velocity, target velocity, etc. All much better than a human being. The computer will pick the targets and best possible destruction solutions. The human brain is very limited even in this scenario in the future.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Your post reminds me of that movie with Robin Williams.
I hated that movie....Toys....It was awful.

It sucked on so many levels.

I do think video games have become a sort of "training" for hand eye coordination.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Wow, sounds like the machines in the Terminator flicks. You are right that computers will soon eliminate the need for controllers. They will probably just supervise the systems and let the machines do all the work.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
It has been in conceptual & practical development for years already -

BAE Taranis - to have air self-defence capability

MASTACS equipped target drone outflies 2 Phantoms in 1970

From the USAF's 30 year plan:

In the far term, the Air Force will retire its fourth-generation fighter/attack fleet. In evaluating
replacement options, it will consider both manned and unmanned options.

also I recall from the 90's somethign about networked groups of 4-6 drones all "controlled" from a single manned a/c - that concept is probably obsolete now though & I can't seem to find anything about it on the 'net.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Small yield EMP's and Duck hunters posted up at the landing & launch sites. Game Over....Scary version? Enemies gaining control of said drones...Takashi Miike version? The Drones themselves go on windows blue screen of death mode due to a virus and anything with a heat signature becomes a target indicator as the drones unleash hell until they run out of fuel.

The scary thing with drones is the fact that you don't have to worry about a pilot blacking out or reding out due to g's, that means your only limitations would be physics , propulsion systems thermodynamics and aerodynamics.

In theory there would be no way for a manned aircraft to even compete with a fully realized drone.

edit on 12-6-2012 by EyesWideShut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Right now, the only carrier aircraft that could control that many are large aircraft. A fighter pilot would be quickly overwhelmed trying to keep himself alive and control the drones. The USAF all the way back in Vietnam had DC-130s that carried drones that followed preprogrammed routes, and parachuted into the ocean to be recovered.

There are currently no carrier aircraft in the inventory, as the drones all take off and land like conventional aircraft. Your most likely choice for a controller aircraft is either an E-8, E-3, or even an EC-130. I would say the E-3 though, as it has the radar that could keep track of what's going on around the drone and supplement its sensors somewhat.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

As I recall it it was not a "carrier" aircraft - the drones weer supposed to haev a high degree of netweorking - the controlling aircraft might simply designate a target and the drones would then engage in configurations based up on their own data.

The drones themselves might have taken off from anywhere & flown to the target area automatically, and then been asigned to a controller by a battlefield management system - and then handed off to anotherone if required at any point.

But as I say it was a while ago, and it was probably just conceptual or something like that.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Yeah, I know the project you're talking about. They wanted F-22s and F-35s to be able to control them. As I said in the second part of my post, their best bet is an E-3 to control them. Fighters are the worst platform to try to do that with. A fighter pilot has enough going on without worrying about where his drones are, and what they should be attacking.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Unarmed air superiority drones. Hmm all that comes to mind is

Macross Plus X-9

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

Awesome book. Kind of sucks you ruined it for him by saying that though.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Well that was kind of inevitible given the subject matter.

Depending upon how smart you think the OP is.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

Yeah, I know the project you're talking about. They wanted F-22s and F-35s to be able to control them. As I said in the second part of my post, their best bet is an E-3 to control them. Fighters are the worst platform to try to do that with. A fighter pilot has enough going on without worrying about where his drones are, and what they should be attacking.

That was also how one idea for the UK FOAS programme was supposed to work out, "a number" (unspecified) of Taranis type UCAV's operating with a 2 seater Typhoon. This is the training model but, in this instance, it was configured as a fully capable air superiority fighter ( as indeed the trainer is anyway) but with the back seater being the "commander" for the rest of the formation. All info on this seems to have disappeared but I wrote on this on ATS back in the day. As a trial towards this a BAC One Eleven of QinetiQ successfully controlled an RAF Tornado, but this was back in 2004/5 as I recall. Again no subsequent info about extended trials with multiple aircraft seems to have been published, whether this has gone secret or is not happening is only something I can speculate about.

<<   2 >>

join