It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Dakota Considers Eliminating Property Tax

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

BISMARCK, N.D. — Since Californians shrank their property taxes more than three decades ago by passing Proposition 13, people around the nation have echoed their dismay over such levies, putting forth plans to even them, simplify them, cap them, slash them. In an election here on Tuesday, residents of North Dakota will consider a measure that reaches far beyond any of that — one that abolishes the property tax entirely.

www.nytimes.com...

I am with North Dakota on this one because property tax is the most evil tax there is. Think a Bank owns your home?

Think again failure to pay property taxes and you forfeit your "right to your home" and then sold on the cheap. There is no one who get's out of property tax which is nothing but a secondary income tax that states already get a piece of.

A person's home is their home and the county has no rights to take away what is a lifetime of busting their butts to lose it over and unjust tax.

Hope this passes in North Dakota and hope others follow.

An unusual coalition of forces, including the North Dakota Chamber of Commerce and the state’s largest public employees’ unions, vehemently oppose the idea, arguing that such a ban would upend this quiet capital.

Go figure unions don't like this idea

What say you ATS?
edit on 12-6-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Go North Dakota!

Lets see, allow people to keep their money?

or

Have government take it and spend it foolishly.

Hmmmmm. . . . . . . lemme give that some thought!

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Eliminating property tax would make it easier for first time home owners, It think this is a positive thing. I'm not all that fimiliar with why we have a property tax in the first place, may be worthwhile to look into it some more.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I agree 100% Personal property taxes need to go, you never truly own property if they tax it for life. You can't have true freedom and liberty without the right to own property.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Nice! Yay for State's rights and smart people who want to attract businesses and people.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
With the economy the way it is and states fighting bankruptcy, I don't see many following suit, unfortunately. ND is just reveling in their new found oil revenues. I'm sure down the road, property tax will return. I agree though, property tax should be eliminated. Mine just went up four hundred dollars a year. Really pisses me off. I remember hearing years ago that people wouldn't be able to afford to own a home simply because of the high taxes.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
This is a good idea.

But the problem with eliminating a tax is somewhere another tax will be increased to make up for the lost revenue.

Especially if this is a money hungry state like California is.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I moved to Nd several years ago, at the beginning of the change.
People seemed to live the slow life. Work, family, community was the main focus. Then the flood of Minot, FEMA trailers, fighting over flood funds, waiting for FEMA to tell people what to do, property values skyrocketed, property tax values followed, people coming from every state to work in oil fields, home construction, boy things have changed. Rent has doubled and tripled, if you can even find a place to rent. You can feel the rage when you go through Minot. Fast food resturants starting pay 12-14 $ an hour. Businesses close early or open late because they cant get anyone to work.
Back to the thread......Commercials on Tv all day ....Vote no ...we need your property $$$, chaos will insue if we dont get property tax $$. Also, a vote on Religious freedom....Drs coming on TV saying this passes men will be able to beat their wives. Children can get married at 12. Parents will faith heal their children. Seems like they are running scared if this stuff passes.
Also, up for vote is the fighting suoix nickname. Politically correctness at its best... boycotting us until we change our name so thats up too.
My question is where is all the money going from the oil boom? Our roads are really getting bad with all the NEW oil traffic going on.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
If property taxes were eliminated in North Dakota I might seriously consider moving there. I currently live in Wisconsin and my property taxes actually went down last year. When you think of it subjectively, even tho they went down, if they were eliminated I could have bought a new car.

This would be a good move. The income taxes from the new residents would probably be more than the trivial property tax that the state is collecting.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

This would be very good news for home owners.....

however

does that mean the Dakota Indians living on their reservations can be provided with deeds to their land as well?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Property taxes never should have been legal in this country to begin with, and I agree with an earlier poster that said that they're probably the most evil form of taxation that we have. Even if that means that the state would need to raise another tax in order to offset it, I'd consider that as an acceptable tradeoff. No one should lose property that they've paid for because they can't pay a tax to the government.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I agree with no property tax and would like to extend it across the US.
The only problem I could see with it though, is it would elevate land costs across the nation creating a new bubble, because the wealthy would buy it all up and hold it as an investment.

There should be a stipulation where the owner needs to live on the land and that they should be a legal resident of the USA, least foreigners come in and buy it all up.

Hmmm, if they implemented this nation wide, where anyone could buy it, I could see it also be used as a tool to corral the poor into certain areas in accordance with agenda 21 and sustainability. Be careful what you wish for.
edit on 12-6-2012 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Looks I'm going to be moving soon. Let me know when it passes.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Sounds wonderful and I agree it would be a good thing but...it's kind of the same logic as thinking raising the minimum wage, you're gonna feel it somewhere else.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by jacobe001
I agree with no property tax and would like to extend it across the US.
The only problem I could see with it though, is it would elevate land costs across the nation creating a new bubble, because the wealthy would buy it all up and hold it as an investment.
edit on 12-6-2012 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

In addition, how would the property owner pay for the services that the township provides ? (sewage, water, electricity etc etc)? unless until the property owner generates his/her own utilities and/or services such as few of the Amish Communities of Lancaster Pennsylvania? Even the Amish have to pay taxes (not all types).

AMISH_TAXES

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

An unusual coalition of forces, including the North Dakota Chamber of Commerce and the state’s largest public employees’ unions, vehemently oppose the idea, arguing that such a ban would upend this quiet capital.

What say you ATS?
edit on 12-6-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

If the Chamber if for it, run as fast as you can in the opposite direction.

From the outside, you’d think the US Chamber of Commerce must know what it’s doing. It’s got a huge building right next to the White House. It spends more money on political campaigning than the Republican and Democratic National Committees combined. It spends more money on lobbying that the next five biggest lobbyists combined. And yet it has an unbroken record of error stretching back almost to its founding.

www.commondreams.org...

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
That really sums it up there in my opinion.
The Government and their cronies are all a bunch of crooks, and anything they have to offer the people as a benefit, has time and time again been proved to be scams that the elite at the top reap the benefits on.

If the Government it is offering it, they are not to be trusted and run is right!

Originally posted by frazzle

If the Chamber if for it, run as fast as you can in the opposite direction.

www.commondreams.org...

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
They'll probably recoup it by raising sales tax, state income tax, vehicle registration fees or something.

They'll get it back somehow.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by bg_socalif
They'll probably recoup it by raising sales tax, state income tax, vehicle registration fees or something.

They'll get it back somehow.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Great point. There is no way that the state is just going to lose revenue without replacing it somehow.

I would love to see property taxes abolished all over. It really is one of those things that's a killer. Depending on where you live, a major killer.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Let's hope other states follow suit. Income tax on property makes property a PRIVILEDGE, not a RIGHT as it is enumerated in the U.S. Constitution.

We owe the property taxes, and every other tax that exists right now in America to PROGRESSIVE DEMOCRATS who in 1913 under the administration of PROGRESSIVE DEMOCRAT President Woodrow Wilson funded the IRS as it exists today with all it's "PROGRESSIVE TAXES"...

Woodrow Wilson, like other PROGRESSIVE DEMOCRATS thought that the U.S. Constitution was "cumbersome" "pre-modern" and "open to corruption", but in fact it was the policies that Woodrow Wilson implemented which completely opened the door to corruption in the U.S. more so by giving power over the economy to a few rich banker elites known as the Feds.

Woodrow Wilson should be considered a TRAITOR to this Republic of the United States.

edit on 12-6-2012 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join