It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lose weight before TSHTF. What do you suggest? I don't think fat people will survive...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

For crying out loud: DON'T TELL THEM!!!

The rest of us will need bacon once shtf!

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Weight watchers actually works. My dad lost almost 100 pounds and I've dropped 22 (I'm not as overweight as he is). Swimming and jogging are a good preparation for a SHTF scenario. Learning to garden and live off of your own produce is a bonus for health and experience, too.

An, country life.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Paleo diet is the way to go. Also called the caveman diet, it IS what you will end up eating if TSHTF for real. It's very simple, but difficult to do at first till you get used to it. And healthier than anything else.

Drop the sodapop, it's pure poison. No processed foods of any kind.

And of course, EXERCISE. It doesn't matter what you do, as long as you do something EVERY DAY. Things like the P90x workout are nonsense, in that, it's not their tricky workout that does it. If you work out 90 minutes EVERY DAY you will be in good shape. Best plan is to do something as exercise that is also useful work. Splitting wood, hauling water, slopping hogs all count as exercise. As pointed out above, I would recommend practicing fencing for when you run out of ammo. Get used to holding something heavy above your head for hours on end, it might save your life. Running and swimming may come in handy as well.

All the fatties here thinking they will live longer off their fat, are DREAMING. THey will be the first to starve, since their fatness is caused by eating garbage, so all they have are reserves of garbage. Doesn't count for much.

Plus the big fat ones are much easier targets to hit, and can't run more than the distance from the couch to the fridge.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DOLCOTT

Zombies like lean meat. Eating fat makes them get indigestion.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I'll wait to lose weight when the SHTF. Now I have something to look forward to in the future.
If the SHTF it is important to eat food that doesn't take more to digest than you get out of it. Soup is a good choice but breads turn off stomach acid. That commercial crap is not bread either, I don't know what it is. I remember real bread when I was young before Bunny Bread came into existance locally.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
To lose weight you need to exercise and have a good diet. And you have to laugh at all these people happy with their beer bellies. Gonna be pretty hard to run from a canine, or a bullet.

Fat people are sick, just like drug addicts. There was a study that high fructose corn syrup is addictive as coc aine. So basically, most fat people are addicted to food. And my god, do we have some fat ass mother#ers around here. Some fat people disgust me. You know if they have kids, the kids we'll just eat like the parents, and they will be fat as well. (unless the kids cook their own food at the age of 5)

It's generation after generation of food addicted lumbering lards walking around.

articles.nydailynews.com...

For all you parents that feed your kids #, your slowly killing them off. Wonder why heart disease is soaring?

Evidence? I work as a lifeguard, and I watch first hand. Almost every family I see with fat parents, the kids are fat as well. And of course the poor little #ers can't help it. I never understood why parents would feed their kids #, watch them get fat and wonder why they die of heart disease 40 years later. The stupidity of people ceases to amaze me. /end rant

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Not if they can't catch them...

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Kang69

It's a bit more complex than that kang. We are genetically engineered to crave carbohydrates. Just 3000 or 4000 years ago they were rare. In fact most humans went their whole life without ever experiencing a simple carbohydrate. We are hardwired to CRAVE simple carbs. The problem is that now they are not rare. They are simple cheap, and easy. In fact junk food is cheaper, and easier to get than natural whole foods. It is much harder than just "Don't eat it." your primal nature is screaming "Eat it! eat it! eat it! eat ALL of it!!!" because it is still wired to think that it is the last time it will ever be available, even though really more will be available immediately, our primitive brain doesn't know this.

Will power isn't enough either. You have to experience the health benefits and "feel good" of eating right for a while to learn to trade the primitive carb drive for the conscious decision to make choices that feel better. You can't trade something for nothing. It is a learned trait in that we agree, but ranting, and finger pointing makes it worse. It is difficult, but if you can get a junk food junky to eat right, and excersize for about 6 weeks they will start making better choices on their own because they have a better feeling to trade in for that carb crave. Of course some will always make bad food decisions, and you simply can't help them, but that's just how it goes.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

All I have to say to you Mr. XYZ is...

MMMMM.... BACON!!!!

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
QUESTION: Two 6ft tall men get locked in separate cells with only water to drink for three weeks. One man weighs 300lbs the other 150lbs. Which one comes out in better shape?

ANSWER:

/thread

edit on 12-6-2012 by Thunderheart because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Well, if the next SHTF period is due to an ice age, guess us *slightly fat* people will survive a lot better than you thin skeletons. We have fat to isolate us from the cold, and sustain us without food for a while. Our metabolism is also slower, so our core temperatures are slightly lower.
The skinnies will die first if they can't find firewood to keep them warm, their metabolism is higher, so they need more energy to keep them warm, they don't have any isolation to keep them warm, so they will have to expend even more energy to keep warm ....

You do the sums, in a mini-ice age, us fatties will survive, and you skinnies will die ....

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321
Well, while being healthy is an ideal state in most situations, there is something to be said for being a little plush.

Indeed. Not obese though. An ex of mine was quite thin - whatever he ate. Plus he had to top up frequently or he became headachy and irritable!

I on the other hand couldn't eat the same as him without putting on weight.
We used to joke that I would last longer in a famine!

But if one is really, really porky, one could end up as someone else's tasty menu option.

edit on 12-6-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

I see you have also done research. My body temp is 97 and I can go days without eating and still do work and think. I think I'm part turtle. Does that mean I'm a reptillian?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

100% depending ones ability to know/control ones metabalizm, and mental "panic" ...but IMHO to end up in that situation to begin with, would be only short of death its self!!!!
But then again, this is a what/if type of thread. If one practices the basics, fire starting skills, cordage making ability....traps are better meat/protien getters than glock 45's, and what the hell good is your $300 SOG....? got meat you'r gonna cut? if there is no meat been trapped, going squirell hunter with an ACP 45 lol....
It's basic physics ,,,caloric intake vrs..burnt calories and the abilty to be aware enough to know, where one lives, and their surroundings.
Yeah there's going to be " Jason Statham" looking/types all jack booted up. and there's going to be the guys, that live thaat invironment, not just invade/rape it....
Although, in the wild ones largest adversary is another human, and that humans preparedness, "needs" injuries, kids...etc...etc...

Back on topic, a bit... I think a 300lb man would be more panic stricken.....of the "what if" and burn up them calories , if by nothing else "stress"
Unless this was, a game show, and propper study, mindset/psychological mindset was up to date. Was allowed, then I may change my mind, Plus to be 300lbs you'r not storing "good" fat, and would/will feel physicallly ill do to toxin release in the stored fat....
oh well blah blah blah Im babbling again....yall be safe...catch next ATS live....www.illustrial.net...
shameless plug.....Spider pig Spider pig....does whatever a spider pig does......

Watch a seasoned worker, he/she looks effortless in movement , and uses conservation /knowledge, to save making 5 trips to complete 2 objectives....make every move count, stay calm, and if it don't kill you, consider yourself wiser ...not stronger.!!!

Practice being as productive as possible with the least effort....basic physics.....
edit on 12-6-2012 by Doc Holiday because: OCD balnk box syndrom

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

There is a bit of a misconception about fat being a storehouse or granary of sorts for the body. If you took someone with 3% body fat, and someone with 30% body fat, and starved them both to death the skinny person would be about 1% body fat when they died, and the "plushier" person would be about 20% body fat when they died. Fat doesn't store everything necessary to maintain life. You can starve to death, and still be fat. Both subjects in this scenario would be dead in about 2 weeks. The fat guy might even die sooner due to a fat embolus.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Binder

This all depends on the person's liver function and kidney function and how bad the fats are poisoned in the body. Toxins do build in fats if the liver couldn't detox them before the event. If a SHTF happens it is important to note that there will be some food available unless your stuck on a glacier in the arctic without anything like the iceman was, even then he may have been killed. We can live a long time once a starvation mode is engaged. Here is an article that can explain things, one of many. Having some food is critical and foods that help us burn stored fat better helps. Many foods help us utilize fats and others make us store fats. www.scientificamerican.com... Read the whole article, not just the first paragraph. Ask a Vet that went through being a POW about what it was like. My dad was a Pow and he made sure I knew what fasting was about. Giving up is not an option if you are to survive.

It is important to say that the chemicals in our foods can lock out many fat cells from releasing their nutrients. This is not the same condition that was around during WW2. The food was less chemical ridden then.
edit on 13-6-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Back in the fall I started trying to lose weight by walking nearly every day of the week.
I had noticed that I was getting pretty chunky and on top of that was needing to stop and catch my breath to go up and down the stairs in my house.
I realized that forget the chub itself, I was really out of shape in terms of my heart and lungs.

Flash forward to now. Lost 20lbs and the stairs are nothing to me. I use the hills at a local park to walk on and push my heart and lungs to really work.

Point being>
Weight is one factor, but past that getting your heart and lungs to the point that having to be walking (or running) for a length of time isn't a problem would be a good thing.
Ya gotta figure, even in the best of situations, you're going to eventually run out of gas for your car or other gas powered transportation and bicycles eventually pop a gear or tire.
Your best mode and most reliable mode of transportation can be walking/running/sprinting/climbing walls and trees etc.

Upper body strength for pulling yourself up or giving others a hand is important too, I would think.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Weight and health are two different things, I use to be BIG (212) but I could RUN ALL DAY, in the army I barely make weight quota, but in PT I was king. It was a good part fat not muscle too.

So in recent weeks I found the reason why I HAD weight was because of my blood type, I am type O- I use to love Soy protein shake post workout and on a type O thats a nono.

O is the oldest blood type, dates back to early Nomads, and they need Meat (red and only white foul and fish) and different veggies (though many veggies are bad soy, cabbage, and eggplants) milk (except butter
)
and grains are bad for me, In only three weeks I lost 12lbs, gained speed (less weight
) and have energy and the things I can eat a prefect in a SHTF, so Hoorah and pass the venisen.

Hope this will help here's some links with in all you need is to know your blood type

www.buzzle.com...

www.dadamo.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
It is funny that some view it this way.
The fat will die first.
Consider bears, get fat right up until time to hybernate and survive off of their fat until food is available.
Still think the fat ones will be the first to perish?

Food for thought.

lol I know right?? Don't under estimate a fat, hungry and armed man you might be his next meal.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Binder

There is a bit of a misconception about fat being a storehouse or granary of sorts for the body. If you took someone with 3% body fat, and someone with 30% body fat, and starved them both to death the skinny person would be about 1% body fat when they died, and the "plushier" person would be about 20% body fat when they died. Fat doesn't store everything necessary to maintain life. You can starve to death, and still be fat. Both subjects in this scenario would be dead in about 2 weeks. The fat guy might even die sooner due to a fat embolus.

Objection your honor! Making claims without proper citations.

To wit, I enter here into evidence;

the humble camel

and

Salma Hayek

and

300 pound man

Whom all could survive longer from their hump reserves than the aforementioned 150lb man.

Also, this wicker pedia article
en.wikipedia.org...

case rested.
edit on 14-6-2012 by Thunderheart because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join