It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lose weight before TSHTF. What do you suggest? I don't think fat people will survive...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
The human frame is not designed to carry huge excesses of fat. Fatter people put more strain on both their skeletons and internal organs. So it is swings and roundabouts on the survalists fat versus skinny compo.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by litterbaux
If people don't lose weight because of personal health concerns I'm certain that they won't lose the weight because of some prophesied event.

Losing weight isn't as easy as eating less or changing your diet. Something you may not know, your blood type has a little to do with it. Research it. Hormones have something to do with it. Research it.

Telling people to simply "lose weight" is simply preposterous.

eating a lot and not indulging in excercise has more to do it as the increase in obesity over the last 30 odd years is not linked with some dramaitc change in blood type- for sure those other things can play a factor in a minority of cases, but let us not sugar coat the real issue

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Numbers33four
When it finally hits the fan it is great to be fit but it is also great to have some fat stored up. You don't see the bears complaining.

True, but you will see a lot of fat people complaining.

When their bodies start to burn the fat, it will release toxins into their blood and they will start to feel very sick. A lot of them will feel like they're dying because they haven't eaten. Ever seen the contestants on The Biggest Loser in their first week?

Good thing is, it only lasts a few days though. After that, they will have a huge advantage.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Originally posted by Numbers33four
When it finally hits the fan it is great to be fit but it is also great to have some fat stored up. You don't see the bears complaining.

True, but you will see a lot of fat people complaining.

When their bodies start to burn the fat, it will release toxins into their blood and they will start to feel very sick. A lot of them will feel like they're dying because they haven't eaten. Ever seen the contestants on The Biggest Loser in their first week?

Good thing is, it only lasts a few days though. After that, they will have a huge advantage.

they will be at a disadvantage if it turns into a cannibal situation, they will be the most prized humans?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Meh, if its a zombie breakout...fattie will die first, if its a lack of food senerio....sorry fitness model your doomed.

If its a Nuke war? then fattie becomes part of the bbq. Cannibalism? I would be afraid of fattie, cause fattie is hungry...

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
All but the very fattest will be fine within a month or so. Sure, some will be wiped out by crisis they cannot run away from, but the vast bulk of Americans will be able to drop the pounds in a few months.

I was obese when I graduated from college. I then switched to a drastically simple lifestyle, for a job I really wanted. I lost 15 pounds a month without any special program,other than working outdoors for a living.

*cue fast paced music*

"Our new SHTF will be the ultimate killer workout! Just look at these over-the-top exercises you get!

-chopping firewood
-hauling firewood
-building every fire every day
-hauling water
-breaking up pavement with a homemade sledgehammer
-planting a garden
-hoeing a garden
-harvesting vegetables
-fighting over food scraps
-digging latrines
-digging new latrines
-learning to hunt with hand weapons

But wait, there's MORE! When you order now, you'll also get these added features:

-running for your life
-hiding from bandits
-hiding from local warlords
-hiding from governments
-looting
-being shot at
-stealing after dark
-dealing with dysentery
-dealing with typhus
-dealing with the super-flu
-walking to the the hospital
-burying the dead

And most importantly---building a new life by hand!

Yes, the old rules won't apply. And this will be your big change to re-invent yourself. But why wait? Become homeless today, and get started fast!

Sorry Nebraska, no C.O.D.s

*fade out music*

edit on 12-6-2012 by tovenar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrandHeretic Cannibalism? I would be afraid of fattie, cause fattie is hungry...

fatty would be hungry, but too lazy to do anything, and about 15 skinny blokes feasting of him wouldn't help

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX
...but I will say that the fatter you are, the more dependent on your environment you are, and here in America, if you're dependent, you're more likely than not, dependent on the government some how...

Assumptive, and stupid.

How do you become fit? What are your suggestions?

I'm not even going to answer this question, because I think you are way off base here. Besides that question is highly individual. Personally, I like cardio. I'm built to run, and for distance; my husband is horrible at it. He lifts.

However, it is not how, but why. Why should they? Is it necessary? In spite of your obviously-double-coated-in-contempt opinion of fat people (which is pretty unhealthy by the way) it may not be. If they are active, being overweight may not be nearly as detrimental as you think.

I ride horses. I run. I hike. I'm not overweight. I'm reasonably fit. I have a friend who is very obese. She rides horses, and is very active. (She is also not dependent upon the government by the way). She is one of the physically strongest women that I know. She can out muscle me in any situation. She has an old knee injury from a fall from a horse that she has had to have surgery on, and if it weren't for that she might out do me on a straight out walk or hike as well; I'm pretty sure she could keep up if not for that though. The only place I would beat her is a long distance aerobic effort. I definitely want her on my team for her physical capacity as well as her knowledge base.

How do we stay healthy enough to face the hardships of the world?

We stay active and try to eat right. Even more importantly, we build a knowledge base for survival within a worst case scenario.

However, when those theoretical hardships become manifest, we will become competitive, opportunistic, omnivores, which is what we do best. Which also means that packing a few extra is almost certainly going to help you more than hurt you if you are looking at surviving with limited resources. If it comes down to a SHTF scenario I think you are going to be VERY surprised by some of these fatties that you hold in such contempt.

I'm 5'3" and usually weigh around 110, but I've been in the low 90's when I am running a lot. If I weigh that little in a SHTF scenario I would be very, very fit. My stamina would be awesome, and I would be in really big trouble if suddenly faced with limited resources.

So, I suggest you lose the weight.

Suggest away... I suggest that you get your head out of your butt. I doubt you'll listen though. You're too busy feeling superior based upon carapace alone.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Eskimos do OK
fat is a survival trait in that environment

fat, when not due to sick food, is the body's reaction to a starvation period..the body socks away the fat when there is food so as to be prepared for the next starvation period

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Eskimos do OK
fat is a survival trait in that environment

fat, when not due to sick food, is the body's reaction to a starvation period..the body socks away the fat when there is food so as to be prepared for the next starvation period

And women who survive famines tend to get fat, and their kids are pre-disposed to obesity because of effects in the womb. In some groups, men who survive famine (and male children of mothers who did) tend to be short and skinny. It's all about epigenetics.

edit on 12/6/12 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

There is a formula for this a "term" I can't think of it atm.....
try to lower your metabolism"burn less fuel", there is a height /weight ratio, mine is 215lbs for my 6' frame. In my region, food source available, and temps, and such..my norm weight is 180 lbs..
Low metabolism burns less fuel...much like a bear ....it's all about BMI and good cardio, and is not something you can be ready for at all times, it takes time and knowledge of length of stay, temp and food sources to condition and prepare...and what you know/don't know about survival..alters this greatly!....if I find the book or literature I'll edit it in here.

This is why many army, navy, marines....which rely on MRE's and water being supplied to them, being their weekness.
Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the military, but war is nothing like survival on an individual basis..
edit on 12-6-2012 by Doc Holiday because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Sorry, what did I do? Did i swear or something?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Paleo diet, not only will you be fitter and stronger, you'll also get used to the kind of diet you'll have to eat once all the cans and packets are empty.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SprocketUK

I'm strong believer in this ..... paleoplanet69529.yuku.com...
thats a good site for great info..and please check either through paleoplanet or the schedule of events for a knap-in near you, such as this one www.boisdarc.info...
But maybe thats a bit off topic.....depends on what you actually mean...length of stay, and many factors...

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Okay OP hereitgo..

Getting in shape.. fit.
Well, you get fat because your cells store the sugars from processed foods it cannot use for useful functions...

So step 1: If it comes in a sealed box or bag, throw it out. Don't eat that crap anymore. Anything that goes through a factory for you to eat, is not food. Processed food is NOT FOOD. Our bodies cannot digest it properly!!! The nutrients aren't in there, they use low quality meat and plants, bulkeners, corn syrup, soy sh*t.... IT IS NOT GOOD.

Step 2: Change you diet to as fresh as possible... If you need shelf life, either can or preserve it yourself, or get it somewhere you know is safe-- canned foods harbor the chemicals in the cans themselves... also anything in plastic absorbs that too. But many veggies can last a while in a cellar or frozen. Just take advantage of the seasons, get familiar with what is available, go to farmer's markets with local organic gardens. The better you eat, the more your body will heal the damage you've done. Also, buy your rice, etc dry. You can cook it yourself. No canned beans. Lentils, quinoa, brown rice, barley, oats, these are what you want to stick with.. and IMO much better tasting and texture than the alternative.

Step 3: WATER. Can't get enough.. Drink half your body weight in ounces per day. Distilled water is best. Do not drink soda, "juice", anything of the sort. If you must have flavor, have tea, and really mix that up. Meaning, it detoxifies the liver when you drink different kinds of tea. In turn this will help every other function. Just make sure you are getting an adequate amount of sodium, because that can make you sick... Just a touch of iodized salt will do the trick.

If you're into alkalizing the body, these will do wonders, and it is not difficult. Diet is 80% of it... and our American diet SUCKS.

And you need exercise. Start off with walking on an incline for 30 minutes a day.. Watch tv or read a book if you cannot stand it. But the more you exercise, your body will crave it. A steep incline will work the glues, hams, and calves. And make sure to engage your core... So when you're walking just tighten your abs the whole time... Feel your obliques contracting to allow your hips to move, do not let your body bounce around, keep that stability. I cannot run on treadmills because tennis shoes are painful (I do my workouts barefoot otherwise) and my heart overworks itself, so cardio IS possible without running.. Go on the bike, elliptical, stairclimber, swim laps.. Anything to get the heart rate up at a HEALTHY level (mines goes from 100 to about 190 in mere seconds, so if you're like me you need to see a doctor first.....).

Now, you also need some sort of weight regimen. Start with 2 5LB dumbbells... Do some bicep curls, lateral raises (raise your arms straight out to the sides), Tricep Extentions, calf raises, lunges... Just start with SOMETHING... Once you're used to it and have done research on your own you can come up with a routine of your own.. I do arms, legs, back, and chest separately. Remember to always engage your core with EVERYTHING.. it is the KEY to stability. You will stand straighter and in turn breathe better and feel better. Circuits are fun because you're doing movements to help your agility, so like jumping and stuff like that.

STRETCH!!! I cannot stress that enough. People do not stretch and I don't know why. Stretching helps by releasing lactic acid, which will aid in building muscle.. Inturn helping to burn more fat in the process. And it will help those endorphins.. and nothing feels better than a good stretch! I will stretch 15 minutes before and after a workout, regardless of the intensity. It will help flexibility, too, obviously. Breathe into it, don't strain yourself, and enjoy it. You will not be as sore

Finally, just stay active... If you turn the tv on, turn it off and go for a bike ride... Or play catch with your kid... or do yard work.... anything to be far away from the couch and indoors. Little changes add up. Don't get stressed if it's not working to your standard, because putting garbage in your mouth takes TIME to reverse. Eating well is key, though.

okay there's my two cents hope that helps a bit

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Im completely with you on this one. Ive lost 15lbs already and started running to train myself for long distance running. Im not sure why but something inside me just decided that IF anything were to happen, I gotta make sure that I am in the best shape possible to take care of my two kids and myself. That includes doing push ups and building more upper body strength. (something that girls dont really have).

Last thing I need is to be an out of shape mother of two who cant even carry them to safety if SHTF.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
It's good to be in shape.

However, if food shortages come about because of SHTF, people that are overweight will actually have an advantage, as long as they have water.

Essentially then can live longer on their body fat then a lean person.

I bike, run and swim. I'm more fit then most people my age. I'm also about 40 lbs overweight.

In a true SHTF situation, I'll be in better shape then those skinny minnies.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Good idea. However, I think women should be a tab bulky for security reasons. We all know how , okay, let me put this gentle. It would help to deter men who may try to assault you. There. Keep yourself unattractive. So, keep yourself a little chunky, but build up the muscle. If you have lots of weight to lose, walking is great. Besides, it will get you used to having to do a great deal of walking anyway. (2 Birds. 1 Stone)

As for food, get yourself used to eating small amounts which is another (2 Birds 1 Stone) Eat leafy vegetables, dry unsalted nuts and get used to drinking teas if you are not already used to that. That will get you accustomed. Then, should such a scenario take place, you are already used to it physically and mentally so you will have a great advantage over everyone else. Also, learn about your area and which foods naturally grow out there. Learn a little something about fishing and how to identify certain foul that you may have to end the life of and consume. Also, check out the bugs. Which ones are okay to kill and eat for protein. I know. I know.

Anyway, those are my tips.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by biggmoneyme

In this new age of zombies, the vegans might get eaten because everyone will see them as healthy and disease-free meat so don't advertise.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Try to work out or do some running/walking (enjoy the sun why your at it
) in your free time. Its like active meditation.

work out does not have to be extreme but if not make it repetitious for various parts of your body (help keep blood flow through Arteries to vessels to veins to capillaries) - If extreme work out try not to overexert yourself. I try to take about 2 hours max every other day to exercise:
get some reps in
good breathing
drink lots of water I know FLUORIDE smh but intake water bottled if you must
try to pay attention to how much you are going to eat and remember you will have to burn it off during the next workout.

Something I learned that it helps food intake. If you eat say 1 plate of food per brkfst-lunch-dinner on Monday by Tuesday you will crave the same amount. But if on Wednesday you eat 4 plates of food expect Thursday to be wanting those 4 plates again. So if you want to be back on track by Friday then Thursday WILL be your contraction/small fasting day you will be more hungry but you can make it. Then by Friday you can reset the appetite amount for the week.end Makes sense too as the stomach will send neuro data to brain to prepare the body to digest each amount of food per eating. Which in turn manages the stomach acids outlets to better devour each weighted food intake.
Hope that helps somewhere

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join