It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Pushing More Welfare Recipients To Work and other 'Austerity'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
story from CBS Los Angeles --- related stories from Breitbart

California Pushing More Welfare Recipients To Work

California Gov. Jerry Brown is supporting a proposal to slash welfare benefits to entice people back to work !!

This plan is part of the 2012-2013 state budget package that's before the legislature now.

This would supposedly save $880 million.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Gov. Jerry Brown wants to shift the safety net protecting California’s neediest residents.

Pressured by a $16 billion budget deficit, the governor is proposing a major overhaul of the state’s welfare-to-work program with the strategy of slashing people’s benefits to motivate them to get jobs faster.

The move, if approved by the state Legislature as part of the 2012-13 budget package, would save $880 million, but beyond the savings, analysts say it represents a shift in the philosophy of how the Golden State helps its neediest residents.

Scott Graves, senior policy analyst with the California Budget Project, says the plan, which includes a 27 percent in payments for child maintenance and rolling back the cutoff from four years to two years for adults, would be a significant change to participants.

Related Stories about the California deficit

from Breitbart:

California Gov. Jerry Brown, alarmed by the state’s $16 billion budget deficit, is supporting a proposal to make a major shift in the state’s welfare program. The cuts, which would amount to only $880 million of the debt of $16 billion, would not solve the problem.

The governor is proposing a major overhaul of the state’s welfare-to-work program with the strategy of slashing people’s benefits to motivate them to get jobs faster. The move, if approved by the state legislature as part of the 2012-13 budget package, would save $880 million -- but beyond the savings, analysts say it might mollify those who believe the state isn’t serious about its budget woes.

Gov. Brown Tries to Cut Welfare in CA

from Breitbart:

Just as the teachers of the Los Angeles Unified School District were forced to make concessions by tentatively agreeing to take furlough days in order to help solve the district’s budget crisis, California Highway Patrol officers have also tentatively agreed to take furlough time to help solve the state’s $16 billion budget gap.

The agreement states that 1600 CHP officers would be furloughed eight hours each month starting on July 1. There is an eerie similarity between the CHP officers’ agreement and the teachers of the LAUSD; in both cases the furloughed time amounts to a 5% pay cut.

Notably, the CHP was the first union to agree to cuts. And the decision must be made this week; the California legislature has until Friday to pass a state budget. Last month, Gov. Jerry Brown revealed that the state had a $16 billion deficit and asked state workers to take a 5 percent pay cut.

California Highway Patrol Cutting Back in Austerity Move

from Breitbart:

Look no farther than California for an American version of Greece. The state is so poor that the Los Angeles Unified School District and the teachers’ union have tentatively agreed to give teachers 10 furlough days next year, which would drop the number of school days from the present 180 days down to 175. This austerity measure would cut pay for the teachers for five days plus losing compensation for four holidays and one training day, which adds up to a 5% pay cut.

L.A. Schools Superintendent John Deasy, whistling in the dark, said, "This agreement will enable many of our valued employees to remain in the classroom next year.”

California Teachers Union Agrees to Furlough To Prevent Bankruptcy

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

They'll expect Obama to stop this from happening...just like he stepped in to help the Unions VS Walker recall

The people who've made Welfare a life long life style choice, should be the first in line for job interviews. Can you say lead balloon.

Des

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Slashing welfare won't put people back to work. Creating jobs and job training programs will put people back to work. Slashing welfare will only create more homeless people.

Welfare should help people find jobs, not punish people for being jobless and making them feel like they're worthless.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
Slashing welfare won't put people back to work. Creating jobs and job training programs will put people back to work. Slashing welfare will only create more homeless people.

Welfare should help people find jobs, not punish people for being jobless and making them feel like they're worthless.

I agree with you in part. I don't agree when it comes to blatant welfare abuse. Welfare was created to help those in *times* of need. It has become a self bloated, system to be played by those who are too lazy to work, and want it *all the time*. As long as there is any loophole for them to latch onto...the system will be milked for what it's worth.

The current welfare system is horribly broken. It needs a complete overhaul.

Des

edit on 11-6-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

I agree with you in part. I don't agree when it come to blatant welfare abuse. Welfare was created to help those in *times* of need. It has become a self bloated, system to be played by those who are too lazy to work, and want it all the time. As long as there is any loophole for them to latch onto...the system will be milked for what it's worth.

The current welfare system is horribly broken. It needs a complete overhaul.

I agree with you, Des. But this is going about it ass-backward. You gotta fix it first, then get people off of it. It wouldn't be so bad if you were only trouncing the lazy bums--but we got a lot of homeless families now, because of the mortgage crimes and the recession/depression. I'm sure many of those moms and dads would love to go back to work--but the jobs gotta be there first.

Not that I have any answers. But just kicking people while they're down won't fix anything....

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
As much as I can stand the abuse of the welfare system,and as much as I can't stand California, Welfare is a system of the larger problem which is bloated government and idiotic policies,.

Cutting welfare won't solve California problems.
edit on 11-6-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
As much as I can stand the abuse of the welfare system,and as much as I can't stand California, Welfare is a system of the larger problem which is bloated government and idiotic policies,.

Now I'm really scared...

For the first time ever, and ever , and ever.

I agree with Neo.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Agree. As the one poster said, you gotta fix the system before booting people out. Sure there are deadbeats but what of those who lost their jobs by no fault of their own and now can't find work for anything? I'm in Illinois and STILL trying to find work after 2 years. It's ridiculous. I had to move to housing just to survive. If it weren't for food stamps and housing, my son and I would be homeless or going house to house and putting burdens on them.

I haven't found work due to lack of trying, either.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

That is correct. There is next to nothing, except a gigantic infusion of cash--or a gigantic dismantling of bloated government--that will fix our budget. True, killing welfare won't do it, but I do take exception to trying to solve the problem by treading on the backs of the victims....

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Well, I am a firm believer that people getting assistance should be working for it. It was that way in the seventies. If I needed help for a few months I would most certainly expect to work for it. Food Stamps is a different story, that's for nutrition and most people getting them are working but don't make enough to support their family. If people earn something they tend to appreciate it better. I'd rather work for something than get a handout.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Moonbeam Brown really has lost his mind, hasn't he......he is all over the place...

why isn't he getting recalled....oh i forgot, he's one of "them" so it's ok...

What a farce...

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Well, I am a firm believer that people getting assistance should be working for it. It was that way in the seventies. If I needed help for a few months I would most certainly expect to work for it. Food Stamps is a different story, that's for nutrition and most people getting them are working but don't make enough to support their family. If people earn something they tend to appreciate it better. I'd rather work for something than get a handout.

I know--that sounds really sensible. But again you have the problem of the people who know how to work the system. The free-riders will always find the loopholes that allow them to slide instead of work: Doctors' notes; family emergencies; whatever, whatever.

And then you have those who are willing and able to work. Imagine a government committee sitting down to formulate rules about how and when and where the work will take place. It becomes a convoluted and extremely rigid set of regulations that work even more hardship on those who will do it. I've already seen it happen.

Again: There are many, many problems. They need to be permanently fixed, not patched. But, as usual, Government is just making things worse....

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Crap. I thought they would forcing them to report to work if they wanted to continue to collect. I think after a year that should be required. Put them in training programs and make government hire from this pool whenever possible.

Or offer long term buyouts to those on the rolls for more than a year. Give them a year up front and then disqualify them from recieving benefits for 7-10 years after that. Those who deserve the help would have enough time and funds to get their act together - start a business - learn an employable skill, etc. Those who would still not be able to take care of themselves would then be at the state's mercy and would have to have much of their lives dictated .

top topics

join