It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gaming : Input Lag Myth (Odd Conclusion)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vandettas

Originally posted by shake101
reply to post by Vandettas

On the other hand, to a hardcore gamer it will make a significant difference as hardcore gamers typically have better reaction time and a few hundred milliseconds of extra lag can affect your performance

No. Read this again.

Yes. This article states

when fast response to what's happening on screen is required, it is helpful to claim every advantage possible (especially for relative geezers like us).

It's saying us hardcore gamers (with reaction times faster than the average human) would need to claim as much of an advantage as possible because, obviously milliseconds make a difference. Lol it should be obvious at this point.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Vandettas

While gaming I have noticed that when playing on an HDTV when NOT using an HDMI cable, but using the blue green red jacks instead, there is lag when playing an FPS, if i play MW3 using an HDMI cable, (i play with sensitivity of 10 - highest) it feels like its near the 10 setting, if i use the jacks, the sensitivity feels closer to a 6 or a 7. and it also depends on what hdtv you are playing on and at what resolution.

i first encountered this playing MW1, when hooked up to my old 32 inch box tv, it was fast a slick as a pearl, but when hooked into a 1080p hdtv flatscreen, it always seemed like it was half a second behind my controller actions. with the same lag, on the same connection, 4 green bars.

you can argue "reaction" time, but when youve played enough FPS' on consoles as i have, you can clearly feel the difference. and it was quite large.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by shake101

reply to post by gostr

I don't know how many times I have to say this, but it depends on the person.

Helpful to claim every advantage? You proved my point. Read these two parapgraphs.

Human response time is mitigated by the fact that we are also capable of learning, anticipation and extrapolation. In "practicing," a.k.a. playing a game, we can learn to predict future frames from current state for very small time slices to compensate for our response time. Our previous responses to input and the results that followed can also factor in to our future responses. This is part of the learning curve, especially for FPS games. When input lag is below a reasonable threshold, we are able to compensate without issue (and, in fact, do not perceive the input lag at all).

The larger input lag gets, the harder it gets to do something like aim at a moving target. Our expectation of the effect our input should have is different from what we see. This gets into something that combines reaction time and proprioception (reception of self produced stimulus). I'm not a psychologist, but I would love to see some studies done on how much input lag people can compensate for, where it starts to be uncomfortable (where it just "feels" wrong) and when it becomes an obviously visible phenomenon. In digging around the net, I've seen a few game developers conjecture that the threshold is about 100 milliseconds, but I haven't found any actual data on the subject. At the same time, 100 milliseconds (or maybe something like 1/2 reaction time?) seems a pretty reasonable hypothesis to me.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I have to disagree. I have been playing Halo for 10+ years. I used to play in competitions. On all kinds of tvs from the old tube tv,plasma, lcd, and LED to a computer monitor. TV lag DOES cause a huge problem in the online world. I just bought a new vizio and it took me forever to fix the setting to get it back to normal. Most new tvs have a game mode that needs to be turned on because the tv refresh rate is acually faster than the game.

If i am sniping someone and i pull the trigger, even a .05 secs can make a huge dif me miss and instead i get hit.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Yeah, the input lag from HDTV's or HDMI cables is a myth, that's total BS. Sure there's input lag from controllers, especially wireless ones, but it's neglible at best.

PING latency lag from your internet connection however, VERY valid.

Having 100 ping vs 50 in an online multiplayer for example, means you the person with 50 will turn the corner a split second before you do, which is everything in those games.

So yes, it will effect your bottom score. But this only happens in shooters mostly, Counter Strike in my case.

~Tenth

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join