It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KKK chapter wants to adopt stretch of Georgia highway

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
If they really cared about keeping the road trash free then they should stay off of it.

Atlanta (CNN) -- A North Georgia chapter of the Ku Klux Klan has applied to "adopt" a stretch of highway in Union County, Georgia, according to paperwork obtained by CNN on Monday. The application, which would allow the white supremacy group to receive state recognition for cleaning up a one-mile portion of a highway, was filed by the International Keystone Knights of the KKK on May 21. If the Georgia Department of Transportation accepts the application, the KKK would be responsible for cleaning litter on a part of Georgia State Route 515 in the Appalachian Mountains near the North Carolina border. "All we want to do is adopt a highway," said April Chambers, the chapter's secretary. "We're not doing it for publicity. We're doing it to keep the mountains beautiful. People throwing trash out on the side of the road ... that ain't right."

Laughed when I read 'That ain't right.' I think it inappropriate to allow a hate group (let's just go ahead and admit that they are) to have a sign, essentially an ad on the side of the road. I would think it wrong for the Black Panthers, and I think it wrong for the KKK. If they really care, use a different name. Sign up individually. Just seems like a bid for attention, which I suppose I am now giving them.

Link

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Beats their usual antics...

Picking up garbage, rather than burning crosses...

But yeah, that's kinda a what the hell moment there.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Not the first time.

Here are some unusual Adopt a road groups...
www.buzzfeed.com... (including link from picture above)
edit on 11-6-2012 by antar because: Link to credit picture in post

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I live in Georgia...I don't like the idea of the KKK adopting a road...or anything for that matter....

Des

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I think they should be able to. At least they are attempting to do something that actually contributes to society. I wonder what would happen though, if the black panthers adopted the stretch of highway where the KKK's left off...and then La Raza could adopt the next stretch..think of the possibilities!!! then they all could at least be participating in something positive instead of spewing hate...but sadly, it won't happen.
edit on 11-6-2012 by Veritas1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I think this guy wouldn't mind some help on his highway..

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Isn't that sign an open temptation for folks that hate the KKK to litter? You'd think it would be a pretty messy stretch of road!

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

I didn't even think of that. Probably the nastiest stretch of road in the US.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Isn't that sign an open temptation for folks that hate the KKK to litter? You'd think it would be a pretty messy stretch of road!

If I didn't believe in roadside littering...I might take you up on that idea....

Des

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Unfortunately they should have the right to do it just like everyone else. Im just hoping that Westboro doesnt adopt a road.
In any case, the KKK is irrelevant anymore, there are much more dangerous radical groups out there.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I bet it wouldnt even be news if the New Black Panther Party wanted to do it, if they havent already.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Let them adopt it. I'm sure there would be no objection to a child rapist adopting a mile. This is simply a game of name recoginition and knowing who the kkk are.

Don't deny good deeds from wrong doers. I don't know about y'all but my tax dollars fund plenty of bad peoples deeds. Let their dollars be used for good.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by Domo1

Not the first time.

Here are some unusual Adopt a road groups...
www.buzzfeed.com... (including link from picture above)
edit on 11-6-2012 by antar because: Link to credit picture in post

Wow go Missouri! That same stretch of road in the pic above was renamed the "Rosa Parks Freeway" in honor of the Montgomery civil rights hero.

en.wikipedia.org...
www.snopes.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyprex

Now that's ironic.

top topics

join