It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syrian rebels take over air base, missile batteries, near Homs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Syrian rebels take over air base, missile batteries, near Homs

Battalion commander reportedly gives soldiers choice to go home or join the rebellion, forces choose the latter

yrian rebels took control of a Syrian air force base near the city of Homs Sunday, according to a report in Al-Arabiya.

The fighters gained control of a number of surface-to-air missile batteries, giving them an extra edge as they battle forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar Assad.

According to the report, officers and soldiers at the base defected and joined rebel forces. The base’s battalion commander had asked the soldiers to choose between joining the rebellion or going home.

The northern region around the city of Homs, a rebel stronghold, has seen some of the fiercest fighting in the 15-month uprising. Some 38 people were killed in the area Sunday amid intense shelling Sunday, and opposition groups reported seeing drones flying over the city

Ok.. more Israeli rehtoric and pre-amble? If the rebels have taken a missile base, they appear to be well organized and capable of gaining at last some sort of military success. Does this still require international intervention?!

Thread from earlier today:
Obama speeds up limited air strike, no-fly zones preparations for Syria *VIDEO*, regarding just that, Obama getting ready to set up NFZ and 'limited' strikes.. ugh!

So seems like this is ramping up more and more by the hour! How long until a major military offensive, either Assd Vs rebels goes fult tilt, OR international (non-Un as China and Russia declined) intervention from NATO or just the US and it's allies?!?!

This is starting to get really really bad

Thoughts?!?!

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
From the news today on Google it was briefly. By the way that video is fake the audio is messed up and it seems pretty much added in.
edit on 11-6-2012 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

I made the thread at work, seen that the video sucks when i got home and can;t delete it off the thread.. more than 4 hours. I apologize! lol

here is another interesting article i just came across:

Syrian rebels' arsenal includes remote-controlled truck bombs

Source

KAFER ZAITA, Syria - Late in the afternoon on the second day of the intense fighting that raged in Kafer Zaita for much of last week, a massive explosion rocked the small northern town. "Abdullah," who commands a small unit of rebel fighters, smiled. "I was waiting for that," he said. "We just sent them a little gift."

"They" were the army forces who for two days had been attempting to break out of their stronghold in the center of the town, and the "gift" was a truck laden with what the rebels said was 660 pounds of a homemade explosive. The bomb tore a hole in the fortress wall and left a 4-foot-deep crater in the pavement.
Unlike the car bombs that U.S. troops came to fear during the Iraq war, this vehicle wasn't driven by a young fanatic set on martyrdom. In fact, it wasn't really driven at all. Rather, it was piloted - by remote control. Its pilot remained safely concealed in a nearby house as he steered the truck around a corner, then accelerated it into the stronghold wall

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Well, when the commander on base hands it over and instructs his men to leave or do the same, you dont really need to fight to take over the base.
It sounds like they walked up and the doors were opened to them.

Also i imagine the UK and US are giving the rebels intel.. Photos, sat images, names and addresses or commanders.. Its easier to pick and choose where to control when you know the enemies numbers and forces.

While it wasnt difficult to take control and it no way signifies a rebel superiority to the assad forces, taking a base like this is quite a milestone.
Not only for the munitions and capabilities you gain, but because losing a military air base to rebels in your own country is very very degrading to a leaders power.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Syrian rebels' arsenal includes remote-controlled truck bombs

Remote controlled truck bombs? isn't that what the terrorists have? sounds to me we have been supporting terrorists from your article.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

From what i have seen on Google it stated that the takeover was briefly. and that the fact is the rebels are outgunned by Sryia's military which is largely upgraded russian military tech.

I dont think unlike the rebels in libya, they wont win without a military intervention.
But a intervention would led us to a Global war over Sryia due to the fact that Sryia is Russia's Strategic zone.
But america wants to spread its American century project.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
it looks like layer animation done on adobe after effects

top topics

join