It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Low for Unions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Union, board settle beef over eats

Union workers in the Sharpsville Area School District cafeteria were the victors in a dispute with the school over what they could, and could not eat.

The grievance was based on the allegation that the school district “violated established past practice” in charging cafeteria workers for food or drinks that couldn’t be sold or consumed by students. These items would include food or drinks with expired dates or foods that had been reheated, none of which can be served to students according to safe food regulations.

sharonherald.com...

So school union employees filed a grievance for their right to eat free expired food.

Get that?

They wanted free expired food the school said no,but they said "hell yes we can".

This is rather messed up.
edit on 11-6-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

This is your best thread so far
Keep up the good work

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The rules are OSHA and FDA enforced. Even at fast food restaurants, employees aren't allowed to take home expired food.

The government mandatd it due to lawsuits about eating said foods.

I can imagine rules coming down about not sticking forks in electrical outlets.

And unions fighting it.

S&F for pointing out that even "collectively", they have no common sense.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
But Unions are trying to help the common man!
Right?
I mean that's what koolaid drinkers everywhere tell me.

Stupid school children. They must be the 1% that everyone cries about. Otherwise the union wouldn't be working against them.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Since that was the only thing on topic :

so an [Snip] move by some bumbling cafeteria workers union is now a new low for unions?

Fight for the right to eat free expired food is low by anyone's standards.
edit on 11-6-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Wow, that hits close to home! I live 20 mins. from there!

I saw it in the paper the other day and I must admit, that the Union fighting over this was pretty petty.

My only question to their arguement was, who would they sue, when someone got sick and couldn't return to work for eating the expired food?

On the flip side, I also read an article where big food corparations are taking expired food products and recycling them and putting them back on the market!!!

What a freakin crazy world we live in!

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Indeed they are happy now, but as soon as someone gets sicks and gets food posioning they will sue and say why didn't they ban it.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
dumpsterdivers Unite!
you are about fall on hard times!

I suspect that the best food will find itself expired somehow on paper before it actually is

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
"Hey- anybody gunna eat this cheeseburger? I found it behind the microwave"

And those are the people serving your children food.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

dumpsterdivers Unite!
you are about fall on hard times!

I suspect that the best food will find itself expired somehow on paper before it actually is

GUILTY! I check the reduced bin in my local grocer every time I go and I pick up some great deals on T-bones and NY strips that are expiring and have a few little brown spots on em!

They are soooooo tender and delicious, plus I get them at half the price. Haven't got sick yet!

As to the OP though, I really think the union kinda called the whaaaaaaambulance on this one!

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

“violated established past practice”

Lets say they served the students pizza on full sheet pans and there was some left over, the workers knowing its still good would place these left overs in a fridge and eat it for free latter.

This was established past practice.

Apparently the school changed this practice without consent of the union, so they had a right to file a grievance.

This is a example of what I assumed happened.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Apparently the school changed this practice without consent of the union, so they had a right to file a grievance.

So the school works for the union wants?

Doesn't the school pay for that food and pay those employees, but not good enough they want even more?

Give an inch they take a mile, and then there are the legal aspects of that where the union can turn around and sue for not providing a "Safe environment" for the employees.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
The school and the union has a collective bargaining agreement, a contract and before a business or school can change a established practice they must inform the union.

Changing a established practice violates the contract that they signed with a union. So who was wrong here?

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Good for the union. I think it's a crime the way food is thrown away in this country. There is no reason the employees shouldn't get the leftovers that can't be served as long as the amount isn't excessive enough to indicate abuse of the privilege.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Maybe you missed this part from the article...."But according to the settlement, cafeteria employees indeed can eat and drink those expired or reheated items – at their own risk."

Seems to me .....at their own risk.....removes the liability from the school.

If I had been working at that school for years and years eating breakfast and lunch for free, and then the school officials decided to make me pay for it now, I would fill out a simple piece of paper(grievance form) and save myself, my family, and my coworkers thousands of dollars a year. It's bad enough that the mismanaged schools are picking the pockets of the students.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
So the union was in violation of Food Safety & Handling Procedures.

The school stopped it.

The union soiled themselves.

The school gave in.

NOW, the union can cook and prepare extra food, mark it as expired, and nom nom nom.

Yeah. Something to be proud of.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
So the union was in violation of Food Safety & Handling Procedures.

The school stopped it.

The union soiled themselves.

The school gave in.

NOW, the union can cook and prepare extra food, mark it as expired, and nom nom nom.

Yeah. Something to be proud of.

And all on taxpayer dime!
Yippee!

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
So, basically, they're mad because they can't eat food that's so old it might spoil at any minute, causing sickness in some students, and more potential loss of money to even more lawsuits?

Don't these people think about anything other than themselves?

<<   2 >>

join