It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just seen this on Twitter.. Could this quote kill God?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Just seen this on Twitter and I am astonished by exactly how very true this is.. It strikes me in a way that no other 'topic related' comment ever has..

#thingsthatpmeoff "People talking to God on here, pretending to be so humble when a tweet like that is really saying how better they are"

It's like, if you don't follow a religion, a god, or any other faith, you're worthless.. nobody.. nothing..
You're not human, you don't belong to the 'elite' club.. you're name is not on the list, you're not coming in...

The way many 'God' followers try to convince you that their faith/belief is the right and only one and everyone should follow it and how their lives are far more richer and fulfilling and complete, is completely daft imo.

Thought I'd share this tweet with you and see how it effects you. Perhaps in the same way. Perhaps nothing at all.

Or if you're a god follower, maybe it's got you all riled up..
Ah well, never mind.. you're not alone

edit on 11-6-2012 by Extralien because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
No one is better than anyone else, no matter how much they want to delude themselves into thinking that. We're all human, all of the same seed.

As carl sagan once said, 'we are all star stuff'. And we are.
I have zero tolerance for people who think they are better based on superficial values. I just walk away.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

You (and the tweet poster) seem to be from the "every kid gets a medal" generation. At least that is how you sound. If you feel lesser because you don't have god in your life, find him and bring him into your life. How can you be offended by someone, you consider to be, imaginary getting a little praise? Do the tweets end with, "because I'm better than you?" No, they don't. This is something that you put on yourself (selves). You may be able to squash the hurt, envy, and judgemental attitude you carry if you just learn not everyone is the same. God bless you.
(the last part was just to instigate your hatred)
edit on 11-6-2012 by Turkenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

thanks for sharing.
it all comes down to this age old question that we all ask ourselves but rarely ask out loud; "am I ok?"
not "what's the meaning of life" "why am i here" "what does it all mean"
but, regardless of what it all means, what's happening behind the scenes and who or what i really am, am I ok? right now? in this instant?
in order for some people to feel "OK" they need to feel like they haven't left any nagging questions open. they have to feel like they have all the answers.
some people are ok with walking into a room or place without knowing everything. some people aren't. either way, it doesn't change the fact that humans can only know that which we have previously perceived. you're either all right with not knowing, or so insecure that you'd rather make up answers to questions you will never understand let alone be able to answer.
i hate "there are two types of people in this world..." statements, but that's pretty clear to me. you are either OK with the world and its mysterious nature, or not.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Turkenstein

If you feel lesser because you don't have god in your life, find him and bring him into your life. (the last part was just to instigate your hatred)

We have a winner!!!!

The tweeters point exactly.. words twisted to make it sound as though you'll be better off if you accept god..

I don't hate anybody.. hate is a strong word and you've used it incorrectly..

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Turkenstein

You (and the tweet poster) seem to be from the "every kid gets a medal" generation. At least that is how you sound. If you feel lesser because you don't have god in your life, find him and bring him into your life. How can you be offended by someone, you consider to be, imaginary getting a little praise? Do the tweets end with, "because I'm better than you?" No, they don't. This is something that you put on yourself (selves). You may be able to squash the hurt, envy, and judgemental attitude you carry if you just learn not everyone is the same. God bless you.
(the last part was just to instigate your hatred)

OP's point in action!

the tweets don't have to end with "because i'm better than you" for the implications to ring out loud and clear. the OP is not talking about some youtube video praising god. OP's talking about the point at which a theist stops simply praising their god of choice and starts casting their eye down at us lowly humans. when it turns to "and you could be saved too!" is where it gets offensive. your response could be aimed at the OP, or a fundie christian who can't let it go that not everyone believes like they do.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by RicoMarston

you're either all right with not knowing, or so insecure that you'd rather make up answers to questions you will never understand let alone be able to answer.

I like this bit.. ignorance is bliss if you know nothing...
I wonder exactly how many people make up their answers by believing in some unkown/imaginary/ET/entity they call god..

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by RicoMarston

I'm so glad you've worded that far better than I did

I may have been a bit too theatrical with my reply on that post..

And yes, it is the EXACT point that is being made.. as you have so eloquently pointed out too

Thank you

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Dont worry about them. If people want to believe in fairy tales then you shouldnt worry about them feeling above you. Let them suffer their delusions.

Oh and those moments when people feel they are close to god or having a religious experience is linked to brain atrophy so when someone tells you they know gods there because of they felt his presence and a had an experience like that its just brain damage. Dont be mean to them they cant help being delusional.

When one person believes in an imaginary thing, their crazy. but when a group do it, it's a religion.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Just seen this on Twitter.. Could this quote kill God?

Somehow, I just don't think God would get too upset over a tweet.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by maybee

Well, it's obviously upset someone..
Can't you hear it?

Silence....

Usually, threads that oppose god, or the like, end up with loads of posts proclaiming how great and good god is.. if we'd only accept him, how he helps and makes us all better for following blah blah etc etc.. As we have seen in the reply near the top of this thread...

And I think that is the problem.. There is no reply to the quote.. It seems it has silenced all. There are more replies in this thread that agree with the quote than there are posts promting god(s)
The quote says it all..

The more that fall silent, the faster god will die... will dissapear into the history books rather than some religious text book written by a bunch of wannabe control freaks who had absolutely no proof of the existence of any god at all in the first place...probably fell tothe same tricks before usaing the tricks of the trade on others to gain authority..

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
This is tough for me to reply to clearly, please be patient with me.

I have no idea whether any person is "better" than me, at least in the areas that God cares about. I'm sure I know about some things more than most here, and I know an embarrasingly small amount about any of the topics here. I have no money, and no athletic ability, and am not particularly skilled at anything.

I suppose we're talking about closeness to God or "holiness." I know, because I've accepted what God has shown me, that there is a lot of blackness, or evil, or "sin" in my heart. The only hope I have comes from the fact that God cares what happens to me, an individual person. He's on my side, watching and helping me.

What else should I do but follow Him? Follow the Kardashians, or Politicans, or Big Money Men, or Sports Stars, or Professors? They're all good for some things, but they're not concerned with "holiness." And I believe that's more important than the fame or power that lasts for a few years here and then "poofs" away.

I'm not your judge, or anyone else's either. If it ever seems like I am, call me on it so I can get right again. Now, I will tell you what I think God has said, or what I have come to believe, if the situation calls for it. But I've been told, first of all, to love you, and that I try to do.

Cut me some slack when I fail, please. I'm only a human and a sinful human at that. But I am following God as I am able. Following and loving.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Absolute forgiveness is absolute freedom/liberation!

If we are not overjoyed, awestruck and spiritually revivified by the Gospel, then we're in no position to share it with another.

If it doesn't inspire, then there's nothing to offer, and "believe or go to hell" doesn't quite pass muster in that regard!

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
The only hope I have comes from the fact that God cares what happens to me, an individual person. He's on my side, watching and helping me.

What else should I do but follow Him?

There, you've said it yourself.. you're better because you think he is on your side etc..
Every enemy in every war claims to have a god on their side watching and helping them..

WW2 for example.. the alies versus the Nazis.. I bet both sides were proclaiming that god is on their side and will help them win..
No god came to help anybody.. the people themselves won/lost the war.

It's not about what you 'should' do.. it's more of what you could do.. Follow yourself, believe in yourself, have faith in yourself. Follow your own heart. do what you feel to be right, not what somebody else tells you to be right.
If the suit fits, wear it..

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
reply to post by maybee

Well, it's obviously upset someone..
Can't you hear it?

Silence....

Usually, threads that oppose god, or the like, end up with loads of posts proclaiming how great and good god is.. if we'd only accept him, how he helps and makes us all better for following blah blah etc etc.. As we have seen in the reply near the top of this thread...

And I think that is the problem.. There is no reply to the quote.. It seems it has silenced all. There are more replies in this thread that agree with the quote than there are posts promting god(s)
The quote says it all..

The more that fall silent, the faster god will die... will dissapear into the history books rather than some religious text book written by a bunch of wannabe control freaks who had absolutely no proof of the existence of any god at all in the first place...probably fell tothe same tricks before usaing the tricks of the trade on others to gain authority..

LOL
envy. u obviously envy those tweeters if them saying they talk to God makes you feel like ur a lesser being

next
ever consider that maybe it's just that, it's a dumb thread, and noone wants to tell you how dumb you are for believing that noone created you and all the magnificence around u. maybe one day you can explain how u created yourself out of thin air to me some time and lets not forget those other dimensions like the ones in dreams etc. i bet those must have been a doozey compared to making let's say.. a leaf. ahh
maybe ppl dont want to tell you that brain retardation is a reason for being gay and not believing in God simply because he dont condone gayness. some may be brain damaged. but one's brain has to grow past a certain point for their opinion to be considered from an intelligent foundation. and well.. not believing in God and that all this stuff appeared here in this particular arrangement by chance is well.. just.. Stupid, retarded. i have trouble choosing my words carefully some times.

next
who cares if you dont believe in God. that's your lesson to learn pal. maybe it's that ppl around are actually waking up like those mythical fictional fantasy books speak about and starting to see God. who knows. not happening to you? damn.. or wait you dont care God doesnt exist.

Next
I really dont care about this thread OP. Honestly.. I just wanted to piss u off with truth. most likely i wont even return to read your reply lol. not believing in God is actually the most conceited and stupid thing a human being could do. man.. your going to have a really hard time coming to terms with what ur about to witness.

also

God Bless your sad, sorry, unfortunate and poor soul.

also.. Monty python was awesome.. holy grail.. all time funniest comedy in my list
"i fart in your general direction" lmaoooo
edit on 12-6-2012 by 0mage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Originally posted by 0mage

makes you feel like ur a lesser being

I don't feel like a lesser being.. it's the other way around.. it's those that believe they are better by believing in something that came from a book compiled from other stories by lots of different people..

, it's a dumb thread,

No, it's a thread.. nothing good or bad about it.. it's for discussion and it seems that many of those who have decided there is a god of some sort have nothing to say here as they#re lost for words due top the impact the tweet has had on them..

noone wants to tell you how dumb you are for believing that noone created you and all the magnificence around u.

That's probably because everyone already knows what daddy did to mummy to get me..

maybe ppl dont want to tell you that brain retardation is a reason for being gay and not believing in God simply because he dont condone gayness. some may be brain damaged. but one's brain has to grow past a certain point for their opinion to be considered from an intelligent foundation. and well.. not believing in God and that all this stuff appeared here in this particular arrangement by chance is well.. just.. Stupid, retarded. i have trouble choosing my words carefully some times.

Yup, you definitely doo seem to have trouble with words, especially for comparing 'retards' to bering gay and non believers.. talk about throw a cat among the pigeons :

who cares if you dont believe in God. that's your lesson to learn pal. maybe it's that ppl around are actually waking up like those mythical fictional fantasy books speak about and starting to see God. who knows. not happening to you? damn.. or wait you dont care God doesnt exist.

I'd love to know how you became such an expert on me!! Oh yes... God must have told you.. you know, that little voice in your head that tells you what to do and how to behave..

I really dont care about this thread OP. Honestly.. I just wanted to piss u off with truth. most likely i wont even return to read your reply lol. not believing in God is actually the most conceited and stupid thing a human being could do. man.. your going to have a really hard time coming to terms with what ur about to witness.

You should try giving your time up to something like comedy then.. 'cos that material is funny
Keep it up.. you'll get better..

God Bless your sad, sorry, unfortunate and poor soul.

Nowt wrong with my soul.. It's far happier and stronger than it's ever been.. rocking your boat helps.. but thanks for the concern though.. at least there is some humanity in you somewhere..

also.. Monty python was awesome.. holy grail.. all time funniest comedy in my list
"i fart in your general direction" lmaoooo
edit on 12-6-2012 by 0mage because: (no reason given)

Finally !!!!! Something we can both agree on.. way to go.. I'm realy glad you don't take everything so seriously

nice chatting with you

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Dear NewAgeMan,

Nice to see you again. I'm sorry I wasn't able to write clearly enough to get my message across. I seem to have trouble doing that.

There, you've said it yourself.. you're better because you think he is on your side etc..
Every enemy in every war claims to have a god on their side watching and helping them..
Yes, I think I'm better, but not better than you or anyone else. I'm better than what I would have been without Him. I realize that I am not merely a blob of tissue. For some reason God, the creator of everything, cares about me and is willing to help me win against my enemy. No person is ultimately my enemy. My war is against Satan. I'm fighting that war because, if I win, I get the greatest possible prize. (It's more complicated than that, but let me leave it at that for the moment.)

Follow yourself, believe in yourself, have faith in yourself. Follow your own heart. do what you feel to be right, not what somebody else tells you to be right.
"Do what thou wilt, shall be the whole of the law." I understand that's one side of one of the largest questions of life. Alistair Crowley helped popularize it. But I reject it, and your advice, because I know what following myself can lead to. "Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done," is the other, and I believe correct side.

With respect,
Charles1952

top topics

join