It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the meaning?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Hello ATS,

Many years ago, I used to listen to some abstract hip hop. And while cruising on youtube I rediscovered some of my old favorites. And I always have had a tough time, defining the actual meaning behind some of these songs. I have my own interpretations of the meaning, but some of it is hard to grasp. Most of it is from an artist named "Dose One" And he has a very large vocabulary, and his style of "rapping" is not what most people would expect.

So let's begin. I won't flood this post with lots of songs. I will just post 2 songs, and maybe if some like this music or want more, I can post others.

This first song has been one of my favorites for a long time. And still I find it hard to pick what the meaning is. One of the comments left on youtube, is about the closest I believe to what the meaning is, but I still have a hard time with it.

Doseone is a genius. One interpretation of this song that sticks is that we are all god, and everybody gets a turn at the controls of everybody else. ""I'm stuffing mixed messages in bottles and dropping them in gutters, so when someone gets it, they'll be right where I was, and maybe that will help. So one day, when the snake sucks its tail I'll find a pot of gold and tons of letters left for *me* in a matchbox!" He's getting messages he left himself. In another life.

I think thats pretty close, but I just want to know what you all think.

Also if you go to the youtube link there are lyrics in the description.

Here is another:

This one is by "Deep Puddle Dynamics" which is made up of a few artists, Including Dose One. This one, to me, is hard to find the songs meaning. I almost think it is a birthday song. But so many lyrics in this song could be interpreted differently. And taken how ever, I enjoy the chorus. What is the meaning of life? And the lyrics of the artist "sole" This why I am here, Where are my trophies? Give me back my land and heart and family.

So what do you all think?

What more is to these songs, What have I been missing from these songs that I have listened to since 1999. I am excited to here your replies.

Thanks!

Also, I am hoping for the best when posting this, because for some reason when I try and preview it, it only shows half of it. It wont show the whole post? Not sure why.

edit on 11-6-2012 by MoosKept240 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
A lot of Dose One's lyrics sound like they are a flow of consciousness and if there was meaning in his words, they are only meaningful to him. I think it's mostly the atmosphere his words create is what is important.

I heard he's about to supply the score to a new Adult Swim series coming soon.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by MoosKept240

I've heard of Deep Puddle Dynamics & Dose One, but I never really took the time to listen to them. I'll have to check out those songs and listen to them a couple times to fully grasp the message...and since it's abstract, it could be interpreted in more than one way.

Do you listen to Illogic or Saul Williams by chance?

new topics

join