It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Gun Range Targets Parties for Kids 8 and Older

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Is training good ... yeah

Is the ad tacky ..Oh yeah

A party is not the best occasion to drag kids to the range ... especially if some parents object to firearms ..

it could alienate them ... and thats not cool .

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I've no issue with this at all.

So long as stringent safe guards are in place, and at a shooting range/club, they are. This is where the parents come in. If a child of mine is invited to something like this? Daddy is going to go, too.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

If a child of mine is invited to something like this? Daddy is going to go, too.

Yep, 100% agreed. For safety reasons....... and for FUN!

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Both!

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
most parents don't let 8 year old kids use the stove, but you're going to let them use a firearm.

it's not about whether a kid could responsibly be taught to use a gun, it's the maturity level of an 8 yr old.

especially when they are grouped together and out of sight of their parents.

all it takes is one kid to say let's play russian roulette.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
most parents don't let 8 year old kids use the stove, but you're going to let them use a firearm.

it's not about whether a kid could responsibly be taught to use a gun, it's the maturity level of an 8 yr old.

especially when they are grouped together and out of sight of their parents.

all it takes is one kid to say let's play russian roulette.

My 8 and 10 year old can boil water, scramble an egg, make a grill cheese, and other wise use the stove.
But that's just America making sure their kids are dumbed down for "safety" and need the governement to take care of them.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
From what I understand, the part the article left out was the part about the parent having to be there at the party. They must be present, and from a legal standpoint, of course that makes sense. If you are a parent who does not like guns, fine, don't show up. But, if you like guns, what a great party! Gun safety course first, then you get to shoot.

When people immigrated to this country, everyone in the family contributed to society. Eight year olds were responsible for plenty of things that I would not trust the average freshman in college to handle these days. Eight year old kids can do plenty that you would not imagine, provided they are raised to do so. Don't underestimate an eight year old. Show up with your kid at the range, girl or boy, and have a fun day. This beats a day at Chuck E Cheese, or, Fairy princess party any day, and I am a woman.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I don't inherently see a problem with this.
8 might be a little young. 12 would probably be better for this sort of thing.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
If the children want to shoot guns for a party, let them. I also believe children should learn to shoot firearms, and firearm safety. My kids are 8 and 6 they been shooting bbs since they were 4, they have yet to fire a real weapon, but they love it.
edit on 11-6-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I don't see anything wrong with this. The earlier they learn the more respect they will have for the weapon. It's no different than native people teaching their young how to hunt.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

that's why they are, supposedly, parents.

I've been using a stove since I was tall enough to do it safely, about age five. I've been safely using firearms for almost as long as I can remember...

The common factor? My parents.

That party? The parents are there, or it doesn't happen. Kids are much smarter than they're credited for. ...and much more responsible when given proper education/training.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

But you see, it's a broad generalization to say because some 8 years can't handle it, no 8 year old can handle it. And liberals love to make huge generalizations like this in order to further their agenda, even though they whine about conservatives doing when they do it just as much.

And a stove is very different than a firearm.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

That's just the way they do things in Texas. That is their free will, I wouldn't try taking it away from em.

Once upon a time people would probably think you were stupid for not arming you 8 year old. Considering a lot of the going ons in the world, doesn't seem like such a bad idea now either.
edit on 12-6-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SkullCreek

I like your choice of the 20 guage, most kids are given a 410 but the recoil isn't that much more with a 20.
A 410 is really an experts piece, a lot of kids that grew up with them return when finese is a goal.
Most kids get a 22 for a first gun. My grampa gave me a 17Bee.
edit on 12-6-2012 by Luminaught because: Above your pay grade

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I've met 8 year olds whose maturity level puts many 21 year olds to shame.
Ever been in a war zone?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join