It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Young atheist and old Christians are the problem

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Funny, if you remove the adjectives, you still have the crux of the argument largely still in tact.

I get your point though. I attend church and a Christian bible study regularly and for the most part have almost no faith in the bible being the "word of God". I also completely understand and agree with many atheists views. I enjoy it because I learn so much more this way and also it allows me to introduce ideas and discussion to both groups more effectively because they don't have they're guard up as much when it comes from someone they feel is in agreement with them.

As a whole, I would say (younger) atheists are able to explain their position and discuss it far more effectively than most (older) Christians. This is my personal observation.

The church I attend as a good mixture of age groups, but it's the elders that run the show. The speak very confidently and seem very knowledgeable, but one thing is consistent; everyone else there could be lead to believe almost anything when presented the right way from people they respect and trust. (Older) Christians can't help but show the influence of their generation on their belief system. They see most things as a threat and only admire compliance.

(Younger) atheists, again my opinion, tend to also be very rigid, often dismissing all spiritual ideas as fantasy unless there is "proof" in the way they want it. They tend to be more prepared to explain their reasoning, but just as haughty when it comes to interacting. Many seem to strive for the smugness of George Carlin or Bill Maher.

Hostility from both groups comes from the lack of any kind of acceptance from the other group, each is angry at the other for being so "blind" and stubborn and leading those that listen to them down the wrong path. Christians love to throw out bible quotes that mean absolutely nothing to non-believers and atheist enjoy labeling anything unscientific as Mother Goose material.

The lack of compromise and open mindedness are the culprits, (adjective) Christians and (adjective) Atheists reflect this as much as any I guess.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhoKnows100
They are not the problem, but the difference between these groups completely highlights the unseen force which has changed beliefs. These last generations grew up imbibing media which dictates their morality, and yet somehow they think that new technology warrants new morals. The youngest generation parrot that the God fearing folk are "brainwashed", yet tragically, they don't understand that they are the ones being herded into becoming the Godless youth that fight Christ Jesus. The beast controls the mind and the mind controls our actions. It's tragic that these last generations are fearful for their very future and yet can't see that their rejection of the God of their forefathers is bringing about the very end of the world as we know it. They utterly reject the very One who offers salvation, but instead, they fight for evil things that they've been sold as "good". God doesn't change, but man descends into chaos without Him. What happened before is simply happening again. The evil has risen and is using this sudden leap in technology over the past century to accomplish the End. You are what you eat - and everything in media is anti - God, anti-authority and anti-absolute morality. What does that produce? Kids that disrespect any and all authority, kids that put their finger up at Jesus and kids that think that love=tolerance.

Thats pretty much what I was trying to say in this thread. Also, I would add that the elderly generation are a primary example of what happens with indoctrination. They were indoctrinated in their youth to think being christian meant anti-gay or being christian meant science was bad.

The current generation is now different, they are being brainwashed too just with a different ideology.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Here's mine ... The driving forces behind all the negativity and vitriol in American politics come from TPTB, the media, and the stupidity of the sheeple around the world to suck it up and regurgitate it.

Bravo! FlyersFan. I couldn't have said it better. The problem needs to be addressed at the root level, not at the symptom level.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Paschar0

That is a very good description of the current state of affairs. I'd disagree about the importance of age in the equation however. People only hold their tongues when they are in the presence of somebody who would be offended. Its the reason people come onto sites like this and say offlandish things they would never say if their name was attached.

If I were growing up in the 1950s, around all (I'm generalizing obviously) "conservative christian" types I could get away with calling people fa***ts and queers without people correcting my ignorance because that was the social norm. These interactions growing up shape the person you become. Elders grow up and think its still the 1950s.

Reversely many kids today grow up in atheist homes, atheist schools and surrounded by atheist (russell brand, etc.) entertainers and are never exposed to Christian life. These kids do exactly what their elders did in the 1950s, except the target has changed. Creationists are idiots, etc.

Somebody had to raise these children to not respect each other so I am blaming society I guess, rather than either particular group....

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by KnawLick

To the OP:

If your'e not willing to admit that you may be part of the problem, then you are very likely part of the problem..

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

Don't think I ever said I was a saint or perfect. If you are part of our society you are part of the problem, said that numerous times in this thread.

Read before accusing.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by KnawLick

I think we're actually agreeing for the most part, but shouldn't we take into consideration the fact that people of all ages finally have easy access to information? This is a relatively new resource if you think about it, only the last 15 years have we had the world at our fingertips, before that whatever your local library had and what other people told you was what the vast majority relied on.

Today, instead of having to take the word of your parents or church on things, you can actually research it yourself as extensively as you'd like. New ideas and ways to look at things get introduced, both good and bad. Because of the nature of the internet and you mention this yourself, people are much more likely to speak negatively about religion without fear of retribution. In the past, many had doubts or questions, but remained silent. This can't be ignored.

Let's be honest, the true history of pretty much all religion is somewhat dubious and when a young mind discovers this, it's understandable to at least question it, then their parents or church defend those actions or don't explain things properly and doubt can easily turn to complete rejection. The fall of family values hasn't been good either, without direction, it's a lot easier for children to go a different way, but you also have to consider that many parents themselves are losing their faith, which the church has brought on themselves. The greed, depravity and callas attitudes are unforgivable to many people.

So with religious followers becoming more desperate to matter and feeling like the world is trying to attack their beliefs and atheists responding to this just as passionately you end up with seemingly fewer moderates and maybe your perception of things.

If you look at the ATS demographics, I bet you find a large percentage of the "faithful" are probably "older" and as for the atheist posters being younger, I just couldn't say. It could be that as people learn and mature more, many realize there just might be more to the universe than what science can prove and therefore move more towards the middle leaving more "younger" true atheists.

They say knowledge is power, I'd just love a little wisdom.

edit on 11-6-2012 by Paschar0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Paschar0

Well put.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
You lie. Everyone knows that atheists are blameless, by definition. They are pacifists who help little old ladies cross the street. They never, ever do anything wrong. EVER.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join