It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bring on the Gay Boy Scouts

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

by Mary Elizabeth Williams, Salon
Posted on June 11, 2012

So you’re an organization that “builds character and trains [young people] in the responsibilities of participating citizenship.” Naturally, that means you practice institutionalized discrimination. Maybe it’s time to rethink a few things, Boy Scouts of America.

That the Boy Scouts refuse to offer membership to LGBT individuals is nothing new – they’ve been expressly prohibited from participating in the Scouts for over 20 years, on the grounds that “homosexual conduct is inconsistent with those values” the group wishes to instill. Since then, the right of the Scouts to be exclusionary has been thrashed about, tested and challenged, always unsuccessfully.

www.alternet.org...

Why not to organize Gay Scouts or LGBT Scouts instead? Can they just leave alone US scouts boys and girls?
edit on Mon Jun 11 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Mon Jun 11 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
NO. They need any means necessary to brainwash and program youth to support their agendas.
They already have the public education system doing that job. Now its time to go after private youth organizations that won't play by their rules.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
The one thing I'm curious about, is what human society is going to look like, if the gay community does achieve all of its' goals.

I'm not making any predictions there, either. I'm genuinely interested to find out, because when it happens, then we will have definitive proof about who has been correct, with regards to homosexuality; the people who think that it is harmless, and it should simply be the case that homosexuals are able to do everything that heterosexuals can do, or the people who think that there is a global, Marxist conspiracy to destroy first human society, and then humanity itself, and that homosexual advocacy is a fundamental element of that.

Time will tell.

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Its a privately run organisation, they can have whatever rules they like.
If they refuse membership to people who's names begin with "W", or people who were born on a tuesday, or refuse membership to people who like watching Seinfeld reruns... its entirely their right to do so.

What I dont understand, are the people who, knowing a certain organisation has certain rules, go full headlong into a battle to want to join that organisation.

Same with the Catholic church and disallowing women priests. Its a dumb rule that has been that way since forever, and even dumber people still want to join that organisation knowing the rules within it, are rules they dont like.

Outrage!

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I think the scouts should let in LGBT youth. On the other hand, it's a private organization and should have the ability to do with its membership what it wants.

Let them do what they want and die out as public opinion turns on them instead of shoving diversity down their throats. This is a primary reason that people fight "diversity" tooth and nail; when you give in to some of it even an inch, all of a sudden it's being rammed down your throat.

Also, "diversity" and "tolerance" are only okay if they're the right sort of opinions and diversity.
edit on 11-6-2012 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4
The one thing I'm curious about, is what human society is going to look like, if the gay community does achieve all of its' goals.

I'm not making any predictions there, either. I'm genuinely interested to find out, because when it happens, then we will have definitive proof about who has been correct, with regards to homosexuality; the people who think that it is harmless, and it should simply be the case that homosexuals are able to do everything that heterosexuals can do, or the people who think that there is a global, Marxist conspiracy to destroy first human society, and then humanity itself, and that homosexual advocacy is a fundamental element of that.

Time will tell.

That's the funniest thing I've read all month.

Gay conspiracy eh? Marxist attempt to take over the world and destroy the first human society, via...homosexuals?

When there are less than 5% of the general population?

Somebody has their tin foil hat screwed on far too tight.

As or the boy scouts, I think it's dumb they didn't allow LGBT into their ranks, but it should be their right as a private organization.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by bokonon2010

I feel like I just read a thread about a tree house with boys in it and a sign that says no girls allowed.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Its a privately run organisation, they can have whatever rules they like.

If I have any fundamental objection to the gay movement, it's this; that they are fascist.

You heard me.

They are fascist.

They want to insist on forcing their own opinions on every last human being on the face of this planet. I'm trying to understand how it is any more morally desirable, to have a scenario where every last human being in existence is forced to accept homosexuality's existence, than the previous scenario where individual homosexuals (such as Alan Turing) had their lives destroyed.

Both positions are extremes, and both positions are wrong. If a group like the Scouts does not want the presence of homosexuality, they should not be forced to admit it. There is a massive difference between creating a scenario where homosexual people can live their lives without the threat of violence on the one hand, and a scenario where every single human being alive has to accept homosexuality within their direct proximity, on the other.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I am so glad to see that your anti-gay threads are getting you more stars and flags than most of your previous threads!

Is this the reason for starting them?

What I do find strange is that most of the "Gay" threads on ATS are started by straight people who usually blame the gays of being "in your face"!

If you didn't start the threads in the first place maybe these things wouldn't be as "in your face" as they now are!

I have said it before on an anti-gay thread, if you want stars and flags START AN ANTI-GAY THREAD!

Way to go!!!

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

I bet they have some very pretty badges though

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Expressions of paternalistic contempt are not going to earn you any credibility at all. What they will do, on the other hand, is add yet another example of a consistent observation that I've made on this forum. Namely, that advocates of homosexuality are incapable of responding rationally to dissenting opinions, but instead are unable to resist the urge to indulge in various forms of mockery and ad hominem, which are fueled by unrestrained, negative emotions, rather than logic.

If I'm wrong, you will find that you can silence me far more effectively, by employing legitimate rational argument.
edit on 11-6-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Paternalistic contempt is not going to earn you any credibility at all. What it will do, on the other hand, is add yet another example of a consistent observation that I've made on this forum. Namely, that advocates of homosexuality are incapable of responding rationally to dissenting opinions, but instead are unable to resist the urge to indulge in various forms of mockery and ad hominem, which are fueled by unrestrained, negative emotions, rather than logic.

If I'm wrong, you will find that you can silence me far more effectively, by employing legitimate rational argument.

I can't prove a negative Sir.

What you have are opinions, and you have the right to those, but you don't have the right to your own facts.

And the facts are that it's literally impossible for every homosexual on the planet to be part of some consorted effort to take over the world with some nefarious gay agenda.

Now I'll be the first to admit that the gay community has issues. I'm not OK with parades, or the teaching of such things to school children ( that should all be handled by parents, not the government), or even hate crime legistlation for gays.

Special rights are insane and we should have equal rights. The hate crime thing really drives me nuts cause all crimes are hate crimes, having a seperate crime for this is actually unconstitutional and stupid.

Anyway back on topic:

So I may disagree with the gay community on those issues, as well as the marriage one ( this coming from a gay man at that), but I will tell you, that without a doubt, there is no large, consorted effort to destroy humanity via homosexuals.

If you didn't notice, we would not be around that long if we did that now would we?

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by wiser3

Originally posted by wiser3
What I do find strange is that most of the "Gay" threads on ATS are started by straight people who usually blame the gays of being "in your face"!

I also find it humorous that anti-gay people spend so much time scouring the Internet for anti-gay propaganda to post, only to complain that the gay agenda is getting stronger and gay people are "in their face"!

About the story, LGBT people have ALWAYS been in boy and girl scouts.
Their sexual preferences may not be apparent at that age, but they're there. Ask all the gay adults you know if they were ever in boy or girl scouts.

Having said that, the Boy Scouts is a private organization and can discriminate if they want.

Damn fascist gay agenda!

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
If the Boy Scouts don't want to allow gays, it's their choice. They are a PRIVATE organization. Period. Last time I checked, I don't have to allow anyone into my own home without my permission. Just because it's a large organization doesn't make it any different than 4 of 5 guys getting together for a poker party on a Saturday night. It's EXCLUSIVE! They set the rules, as it's THEIR organiztion.

Now, that being said, I think America's "fear" of homosexuals is out of line. They're just people, who happen to be wired differently. They're NOT serial killers, and "gay" is NOT contagious. Personally, I'd like to see the Scouts bring in gay members. I think it would be great for the both straight and gay youth to learn to accept each other. I really don't see any harm in it whatsoever. However, this is something the Scouts will have to open up to over time, I suppose.

Gays, smokers and fat people. The 3 groups that can openly be discriminated against.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

What I have a problem with is these kids are even being subjected to this debate! Most boyscouts are little kids, they still girls are icky! Why must we destroy their childhoods so young these days!!?? Does a 7-10 year old scout really even know if he's gay or not?!

6% of the population is gay. 40% are struggling to pay their bills!! Why are we even ever talking about gays?!

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

Gays, smokers and fat people. The 3 groups that can openly be discriminated against.

you forgot white males

just sayin
edit on 11-6-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

That really goes without saying. They're the only group without and "special status" protections. Must be that they're all born with a silver...no golden spoon.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Damn! I lose on most counts: White/Male/Gay AND I smoke!

Note to self "Must put on weight"

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Gays are a protected class. You are no more allowed to discriminate against them then Blacks...

m.cbn.com...

White men though? Oh they are scum pillagers! In fact you get tax credits for hiring EVERY other color or sex of people besides white men... Mmm and I wonder why I (white man) am the only person in my whole office with a college degree...

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by KnawLick

Do you hide heterosexuality from children? No. Does seeing a man and woman walking down the street holding hands or kissing destroy young children? No. Neither does seeing a man and man or a woman and a woman doing these things destroy a child, what does destroy a child is when the adult they are with has a knee-jerk reaction to seeing homosexuality as if they just witnessed a murder.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join