It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Consciousness really go on.? Dr Stuart Hameeroff say it could quantum Consciousness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Consciousness defines our existence and reality, but the mechanism by which

the brain generates thoughts and feelings remains unknown. Why do we have consciuness for.?

Dr. Stuart Hameroff: Says the question of how would that explain consciousness and that’s when he got into the quantum stuff., he was studying the mechanism of anesthesia. He is an anesthesiologist but he also an academician and his research has to do with anesthetic mechanisms and consciousness. Dr Hameroff says I think understanding how anesthetics actually act is a tremendous tool or lever to get at the problem of consciousness. That’s been his strategy.

It turns out that anesthetics act strictly by quantum level forces, very weak London forces in phases or regions inside proteins which are conducive to quantum processes. So his research has led him into the quantum realm, because anesthesia acts strictly by quantum forces. He thinks consciouness might not come from our brain.Some people often speak of the mind and the body as two separate entities for convenience, but most acknowledge that they are intimately entwined.
I .watch this. NDE and the quantum world. youtu.be...

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by terry456

Nice one! I'll watch the vid when I'm home, but thanks for such a thorough background.
I must say that so far this dovetails nicely with a lot of the theories I find interesting on the matter of consciousness and existence.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Great vid !

Nice to have a visualisation tool of sorts for consciousness. It's interesting, because when you look at the prospect of our brains operating as a quantum computer, and being capable of supposition , it kind of makes you wonder, is that where schizophrenia stems from, ergo all mental illness ?

Is it born in the brain, or the mind ?

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by terry456

He thinks consciouness might not come from our brain.Some people often speak of the mind and the body as two separate entities for convenience, but most acknowledge that they are intimately entwined.

I believe Consciousness is a function of our Spirit, but is not purely Spirit, but carries Karmic traits. The brain is simply a bio-computer to control this human form and help us interact and play on this Earthly plain.

Even if you are scientifically minded, surely there is enough evidence out there to prove that consciousness does not reside in the physical body. We just think it does because most of our senses are located in the head (brain) region. I have had many OBE's of my own, mostly induced using certain techniques of ecstasy.

We are indeed spiritual beings having a human experience !

Namaste

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
if you haven't already read '___' the spirit molecule......(if your interested in this stuff) i recommend it. although a bit out of subject.. it does make a fascinating read.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Wrong board.

Try metaphysics maybe?

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Right bord.
edit on 11-6-2012 by terry456 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Awesome, this could give me an avenue of attack for designing experiments to prove a quantum consciousness one day. I'll remember it.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by solargeddon
Great vid !

Nice to have a visualisation tool of sorts for consciousness. It's interesting, because when you look at the prospect of our brains operating as a quantum computer, and being capable of supposition , it kind of makes you wonder, is that where schizophrenia stems from, ergo all mental illness ?

Is it born in the brain, or the mind ?

Neither. It is born in the "soul." This old-fashioned term is an aspect of consciousness that is completely separate from mental activity, which is not due to neurons firing in the brain (neurologists put the cart before the horse is assuming this). After we have died and our brains are decaying in our coffins, we STILL are able to think and reason because the mind has nothing to do with physical brains but is one of the seven human principles. Psychistrists wedded to the medical model will call psychological dysfunction "mental illness" because they have no understanding of the holistic nature of human beings and so they hide their ignorance behind the catch-all label "mental", whereas most forms of psychological problems are issues of unbalanced consciousness and should not regarded as problems of the mind - an inaccurate term which hides the modern world's ignorance of the complete spectrum of human consciousness, which transcends the material world and cannot be reduced to quantum processes. Hameroff's error is to infer that, because quantum processes are involved in the temporary creation of unconsciousness in anaesthesia, they are also involved in its appearance. This is a non sequitur. We do not need quantum mechanics to "explain" consciousness in a scientific way. Consciousness cannot be understood in terms of current scientific paradigms, for it is not reducible to any physical processes. This makes quantum processes totally irrelevant to its proper understanding.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by micpsiAfter we have died and our brains are decaying in our coffins, we STILL are able to think and reason because the mind has nothing to do with physical brains but is one of the seven human principles.

Of all the ridiculous claims made in your post, the above stands head and shoulders above the rest.

So we can think and reason once we're dead..........what exactly does 'dead' mean to you?

And if the brain isn't responsible for the mind..................what is it you think it does?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Prezbo369

The brain is just and organic machine that allows you to process information in this reality and has nothing to do with the "soul" or "consciousness". It is a gateway to allow us to experience this physical reality.
edit on 15-6-2012 by knowledgedesired because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Geeze where have you been this is seriously old news!

Just google it and you will see what I mean...

Korg.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by knowledgedesired
The brain is just and organic machine that allows you to process information in this reality and has nothing to do with the "soul" or "consciousness".

While I agree the brain has nothing to do with a 'soul' (as no such thing exists), to say it has nothing to do with consciousness is the type of nonsense I thought was previously reserved for young children.

Here's a experiment you can conduct which will show you just how much we rely on this 'organic machine'. Open your cranium and remove your brain, then attempt to do.....................anything

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by micpsi

Ok lets clarify here, the brain is physical.... I know that.

The mind, is non physical...... Yep, know that too, lets not try to teach grandma, how to suck eggs shall we, especially when non of your post can be stubstantiated as fact.

Definitely need to work on your delivery of opinion.

I am asking is mental illness, a product of the physical, or the spiritual (for want of a better word), you don't know the answer unequivically, as nor do I.

I hear the humble pie is worth trying on the menu today

On topic, conciousness rocks !

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   

I found it interesting what he said about what happens after the brain dies. He said the energy doesn't just dissipate endlessly, that it tends to clump together, and that that could explain how someone could witness their own resuscitation.

new topics

top topics

join