It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

APPLE and GOOGLE using military-grade cameras to take powerful images ?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
story from Daily Mail - U.K.
10 June 2012

Beware the spy in the sky: After those Street View snoopers, Google and Apple use planes that can film you sunbathing in your back garden

With competition heating up between Google and Apple for who can get the best image and map shots, it looks like a better camera is on the way, or perhaps is already here !!

Both companies are admitting using high technology cameras on planes.

The question is of course, how close is this to military specs ?

And the big concern naturally is Privacy

These thing are getting so good, who knows what might show up on a screen by "accident"

Is this more "data harvesting" in the works ?

Will local authorities "tap in" ?

Will secret information be "stored on file" ?

Software giants will use military-grade cameras to take powerful satellite images

Spy planes able to photograph sunbathers in their back gardens are being deployed by Google and Apple.

The U.S. technology giants are racing to produce aerial maps so detailed they can show up objects just four inches wide.

But campaigners say the technology is a sinister development that brings the surveillance society a step closer.

Google admits it has already sent planes over cities while Apple has acquired a firm using spy-in-the-sky technology that has been tested on at least 20 locations, including London.

Apple’s military-grade cameras are understood to be so powerful they could potentially see into homes through skylights and windows. The technology is similar to that used by intelligence agencies in identifying terrorist targets in Afghanistan.

EDIT 20 minutes after post.
The link is twitchy ...... this is similar

:shk:
APPLEGOOGLE plan military-grade cameras to take powerful satellite images…

EDIT 40 minutes after post:
Removed "satellite" from title --- "satellite" is inaccurate.

Thank You Phage.

edit on Jun-11-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

edit on Jun-11-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Spy planes able to photograph sunbathers in their back gardens are being deployed by Google and Apple.

These companies are being run by a bunch of peeping Toms... That's your problem.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Why did you put "satellite images" in your headline? This has nothing to do with satellites.

edit on 6/11/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Peeping toms with alphabet soup for names, more likely.

I've beaten the privacy horse to death lately so I'll keep this one short.

What the hell did we all expect? We know google literally watches our every move!

And we're happy to comply.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
this technology has been iavailable to the public for years, i cant find the video, but on an episode of history channel's "tactical to practical" had a segment on satellites being available to the public (for a cost of course), it doesnt suprise me this is being used by these companies

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
This makes me think, "huh, good thing I don't sunbathe naked in my backyard."
I could see them getting sued for invasion of privacy eventually.

There could be some creepy idea that the government is using it to spy on us, but they already use drones so... Surprise!
edit on 6/11/2012 by MeesterB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MeesterB

The U.S. technology giants are racing to produce aerial maps so detailed they can show up objects just four inches wide.

You probably don't have anything to worry about.

heehee.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Why did you put "satellite images" in your headline? This has nothing to do with satellites.

The article has the wording.

But now I see the link is busted already.

here's another story with "satellite images" in the article .....

APPLEGOOGLE plan military-grade cameras to take powerful satellite images…

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

The link works fine.
Maybe you should have at least used the main headline though.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Yup they are.
It is better than Military specs.

Pay special attention to that large quickly fleeting Dragonfly.
The flying Walnut is astounding as well. In the scheme of things, who cares.
We are just passing through this tangled maze of nonsense
with wonder and awe.
Our natural curiosity is already levels ahead of those who only understand control.
They live in fear. We have conquered fear.
We are the future of intelligence.
They are draconian and obsolete.

Think Happy Thoughts S&F

edit on 11-6-2012 by Wildmanimal because: Add Content

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   

The link works fine.

Thanks for your input.

I'll remember that next time.

The main headline from dailymail was too long.

This must mean these cams are better than a satellite system ?

Google will use its spy planes to help create 3D maps with much more detail than its satellite-derived Google Earth images.

The story is focusing on planes and drones.

The cameras can be installed on planes, helicopters or even unmanned
drones, although there are safety restrictions about the use of the
latter in Britain.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   

This must mean these cams are better than a satellite system ?

Quite a bit. The best resolution from satellites for commercial purposes (like Google) is about 20 inches. Military satellites probably get somewhere around 6-8 inches.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   

The link works fine.

Headline changed.

removed "satellite" ...

thanks Phage.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Hmmmm You just know that somewhere some 400 pound hairy guy is going to start sunbathing naked with a big sign behind him that says "Google This!!!" just in the hopes that he ends up on the newest edition of Google Earth.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   

2 flags as well do people on here FLAG without thinking it seems so.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
using military-grade cameras
using high technology cameras
military specs
military-grade cameras
the technology
military-grade cameras
so powerful
military-grade cameras

Edited, but you see how SCARY this is?????

In actual fact, the performance of any optical system is limited by the laws of physics, and the "military" do not have any kind of super secret physics defying camera optics that the public dont know about.

In fact, the best optical system are owned and run by astronomers.
Always have done, always will do. Its astronomers that push the laws of physics as close to the edge as they can get.
Astronomers will also tell you about the other big limiting factor in resolution - the earths atmosphere, both transparency and steadiness.

People can start throwing "military grade" into conversations, but it means nothing.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   

What you have to remember is it COSTS to update images Google/Apple have to pay for these, I will give you an example my house was built about 10 years ago, it only appeared on the satellite image recently before I saw bare earth until I zoomed in then the house would appear and now when I zoom in close I see in the drive a car I had 4 years ago

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
if i had a large enough lawn, i might consider mowing an obscene insult to google into it, visible only from high above.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   

They will not (yet) come right out and tell you that all of these companies are totally controlled by the government. But they are. The bailouts...just them funding their enterprises without calling it that.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Well, it's obviously going to get people up in arms about it, but it's really nothing new.

For instance, I can have a webcam in my back yard and if it happens to face the neighbours fence and it happens to be able to see into their back yard, there is no legal recourse for them to take. It's annoying, intrusive and absolutely rude (unless I'm catching them in the act of something sinister like trying to bait my animals, but then, that would never be admitted under investigations..) but not illegal.

I guess it will set a precedent once and for all about where personal space within the home begins and ends, as in, if you're in your own living room with the window open and walking around in the nude having a good old fashioned woopsie with yourself, and mrs OldCodger across the road see's you, she can, and it has been done before, call the police and have you charged.

So about the back yard... is it really private in terms of viewing? Obviously if someone enters your yard you have the right to refuse them entry unless they have lawful and verifiable reason to do so, but what about peeping..

mm, even that raises questions.. can it be considered peeping if you're out in the open where the sun shines??

Just put up army green tarpaulins over your back yard or a green mesh that still lets the sun in... if you're that concerned about mr google or mrs apple watching you hang up your tighty whities...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join